Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not good - if it is confirmed

Options
  • 17-11-2004 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Gardai test licensed guns in dead seals probe

GARDAI in Co Kerry have taken possession of a dozen rifles in connection with their investigation into grey seal shootings in west Kerry over the past weeks, writes Anne Lucey.

Sergeant Mossie O'Donnell, of Dingle Gardai, said the rifles had been collected from "all sections of the community, not just fishermen". All of the guns were licensed.

Their owners had willingly handed them to the Garda and were most co-operative, he added.

They were being sent to Garda Headquarters in Dublin for forensic examination, Sgt O'Donnell said

If this turns out to be caused by a legally held licensed firearm, it will only cause more public outrage to the shooting community. :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

whoever did it deserves what they get but we will suffer aswell mark my words another nail in the coffin for the honest shooter.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Fact.
    Or I wonder are the Gardai now going thru the motions just to try and find some sort of evidence?Lets face it it could be an illegally held gun as well.
    Remember this is an emotive case.First the seals were beaten to death with rocks,then they were knifed and gutted.All later proven to be untrue.And if they were smart they could have "borrowed" a gun from totally outside the district.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Their owners had willingly handed them to the Garda and were most co-operative, he added

I think that particular sentence makes it most unlikely any of those guns will be discovered to have been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Let's just hope that when the tests come back negative that someone points out to the press that this is a wonderful example of how firearms owners are law-abiding people who aren't the cause of gun crime, instead of just berating the gardai for persecuting innocent people (far better that someone come to that conclusion on their own than have us try to shove it into their heads).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

I think you'll find Sparks that the papers wont end up praising shooters no matter what the outcome. The usually just involve themselves in making allegations and if they dont pan out..... guess what... they usually just move conveniently on to the next story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Chipboard wrote:
    I think you'll find Sparks that the papers wont end up praising shooters no matter what the outcome. The usually just involve themselves in making allegations and if they dont pan out..... guess what... they usually just move conveniently on to the next story.
    Yup. Unless someone actually gets them to do it, or has it mentioned in the Dail or even just writes a letter to the editor. Thing is though, the phrasing matters - last time I saw someone say "lets all write letters of complaint to the editor", the paper in question got lots of hostile, angry letters and within a few days even the NGBs weren't getting their phone calls listened to. Didn't do much for us in the end really.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

GARDAI in Limerick are investigating reports that city criminals are using protected birds on a wildlife preserve on the outskirts of the city for target practice.

Reports suggest that gunmen have been seen firing at swans and ducks on the north-side preserve from nearby Hartigan's Hill.

On Tuesday last a swan was shot and left to die on the island, which is near both the Moyross and St Mary's Park estates where heavily armed gangs are based.

It is believed shots are being fired from the Iron Bridge between St Mary's Park and Thomondgate.

A local woman who reported shootings of protected birds in the area to gardai says that she has seen one gunman fire shots in the area on a number of occasions.

"He drives down every day between 4 and 5 in the afternoon from the New Road in Thomondgate and shoots everything that flies by from the bridge near the Island Field," she said.

Mayorstone Garda are anxious to speak to anyone who may have seen gunmen shooting birds in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Somthing is very rotten with this report.As this in VERY near to my beat.The bridge that they refer to is actually an old fish weir[thomond weir] that is impossible to get onto as somthing like twenty feet is missing on the island side [for obvious reasons].The island field is easily patrolled by the gardai if they wanted to as that part of the world is a one road in one road out area.however it is a major stronghold of one of the gang families related in limerick's feud.So maybe the gaurds are somwhat reluctant to go down there.
    however it would be no problem with that timetable to apprehend this twat.
    Moyross and St Marys park are well seperated by appx 1.5 miles direct line of sight,and i doubt either side will go for target practise in the island field somhow!
    Also I doubt it is our local gangs as [1] they usually are not very good shots.[2] Sawn off shotguns and pistols dont lend well to wing shooting.[3] moving shots are quite difficult for them [4] ammo is precious to be shooting ducks with.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Farmers advised to store legally held guns in safe places
    09:23 Wednesday December 1st 2004

Gardai are warning farmers to store legally held guns in secure places to prevent criminal gangs from stealing such weapons for use in armed raids.

Gardai said more than 20 rifles and shotguns had been stolen in recent months in Cork, Kerry and Limerick and just eight had been recovered.

One is believed to have been linked to a murder in Limerick and Gardai said they were concerned the others could be used in armed raids in the run-up to Christmas.

Advertisement