Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Router Question

Options
  • 17-11-2004 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have the following problem/question and I hope it is not tooo stupid :rolleyes:
    One of my clients has the following setup:
    One LAN with 10PCs and one Server in Dublin and one LAN with 100 PCs and several servers in the States. The LAN in the states handles the internet access with firewall etc.
    The two LANs are connected over a rented 1MBit line. It appears to be one big windows network.
    So far so good.
    Because of all the traffic going over this line, the internet access is far away from being ideal, as well as if this line fails we do not have any emergency backup.
    My idea was now to get a business broadband line and to route all the internet traffic (mostly http over port 80) locally over the new connection.
    The current setup is handled by an Cisco 2600 router, which acts as the local gateway to the rentedd line and as the VoiceoverIP Phoneline to the States as well.

Now the question: How can I install the local internet access?
    as far as I understand I can't just insert the broadband router as the new gateway, because then all the traffic would go over the broadband line.
    Is there a router on the market which is able to handle two separate networks?
    It would be ideal to insert this router as the new gateway and the router decides on the type of request if it uses the Cisco 2600 and the rented line or goes over the local boradband line.
    Any ideas or solutions? I do not want to install a PC with two network cards to handle all the traffic, because I do not trust this solutions and we don't have enought space in the server closed to put another PC in ;)

Any ideas are welcome,
    jow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

check the routing on the cisco in the Dublin office - it will need a static route to add a default route to the broadband router. so traffic goes PC -> Cisco (default g/w) -> if not destined for the US site route to the broadband router.

2nd option - but due to lack of rack space may not be viable - install a basic proxy server in the Dublin LAN. Set IE clients to use this proxy. proxy server can have it's default g/w set to the broadband router.

You would probably need to talk to the people who manage the US site and the Cisco routers. Their corporate security policy may not allow a remote site to source their own internet link - may open a back door security hole.

Advertisement