Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photoshoppage

Options
  • 17-11-2004 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭

I believe the name of this forum is still misleading, I missed the bit where you changed from Pix 'n' Mix to Photoshoppage, but the fact is that a lot of people still think this is some kind of photo forum.

I'd like to suggest a name change to something like Graphics / Image Editing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

And PhotoShop-page is too product specific - need more general to cover PhotoPaint, PSP, Gimp etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Some of the best threads in here are when people look for logos to be made up, etc., so personally I would lean more towards graphic design than the image editing part, which doesn't really indicate at first glance what the forum is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

i agree

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Ack well I'm not responsible for the actual name it was changed to; I think changing the name to "Graphics Editing" or something similar changes the focus of the forum.

Which is alright with me, seeing as it simply broadens the scope.

Personally, I think the name "Graphic Design" would seem fairly comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Personally, I don't think these logo requests belong in here. I'd much rather this forum was strictly about interfering with photographs in the interests of entertainment, or maybe even if someone wanted an old photo cleaned of cracks, rips etc..
    cloud wrote:
    And PhotoShop-page is too product specific - need more general to cover PhotoPaint, PSP, Gimp etc
    I see what you're saying here Cloud, but I think Photoshop has developed into a verb in much the same way as Google has, you'll often find it said about images that they have being "photoshopped".

• Advertisement

Dr. Dre wrote:
    Personally, I don't think these logo requests belong in here. I'd much rather this forum was strictly about interfering with photographs in the interests of entertainment, or maybe even if someone wanted an old photo cleaned of cracks, rips etc..

nah logo/sig making and general graphic designy bits are a big part of this board.
    I see what you're saying here Cloud, but I think Photoshop has developed into a verb in much the same way as Google has, you'll often find it said about images that they have being "photoshopped".

I do all my photoshopping in macromedia fireworks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Cloud wrote:
    I believe the name of this forum is still misleading, I missed the bit where you changed from Pix 'n' Mix to Photoshoppage, but the fact is that a lot of people still think this is some kind of photo forum.

I'd like to suggest a name change to something like Graphics / Image Editing.

This forum was originally my idea, inspired by the Photoshop Friday feature on SomethingAwful.com. The word photoshop has many meanings but when used as a verb it generally means messing with photo's to create something funny or insightful. eg. I photoshopped his head in front of a stained glassed window and put in a nice halo. It doesn't require the use of Adobe Photoshop, but just like the word hoover a product name has become just another word.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think we need to retain the idea of altering images ("graphic design" doesnt do that for me). "Image manipulation" might work!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

what about image manipulation (probably too long)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Great idea billy!

I think you're underestimating just how well known the term "to photoshop" has become. The name's grand as it is, in my opinion.

• Advertisement

was gonna suggest "image manipulation" but billy got there just before me ^_^

but seriously, how about "computer arts"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

or computer graphics..

or visual design.. :rolleyes:

visual design is a bit too narrow i think, photoshopping a promiment boards member's face into an embrace with david hasselhoff isn't really covered by that title, and it clearly needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Photo Transformation

but that doesn't cover the graphic design part :s maybe make 2 or 3 menu items with different names that all link to the one board :D

Advertisement