Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Articles

Options
  • 17-11-2004 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Since I don't get to play much these days..........

Any good (discrete) sites where I can read poker related articles????

Not twoplustwo or cardplayer!!!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

suitedaces.com! (for some n00bie articles anyway).
    Twoplus two is about the most discrete onesince its a forum like boards, and there's not too many advertisments on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Shortstack's blog is good reading. Updated fairly frequently too.
    http://luckyblind.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Go to pokerpages. Theres loads of articles from some of the biggest names in poker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

try www.pokerbastard.blogspot.com for some light relief. Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Heres a link to all the old Card Player archives

http://cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/?PHPSESSID=023c4c4ef3210b676c93c02d0ff0484c

Hours of Material here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

Thanks for the plug careca. Glad to see some people enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

Great blog shortstack..

Having a cash game on Friday have 600 clay chips, 4 different colours.
    We will use some cash...

There are gonna be 8 players with blinds .50/1 Euro

Never had a cash game at home before...any advice on denominations etc??

Great blog shortstack..

Having a cash game on Friday have 600 clay chips, 4 different colours.
    We will use some cash...

There are gonna be 8 players with blinds .50/1 Euro

Never had a cash game at home before...any advice on denominations etc??

It depends on what type stacks you are playing with, if you are going to have a lot of money at the table then

.50 1 5 10

Or maybe .50 1 2 5 would be ok.

Well was gonna have a cap as to how much someone could buy in say between 80 - 100 BB!!!!!!!!!!!What ye think of this??

Another thing - thay are all newbies, as am I (but they have played only a handful of times)...how best to take their money..

Agressive does not appear to work against such a beast..??

Should I try to see lots of flops???

Difficult to put them on hands, They do not raise pre flop with AA or KK for fear everyone will fold!!!??

Oh woe, ladbrokes is easier.!!!! Advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

Capping is good idea, but allow people to top up to the cap whenever they like. As for chips, I would go for .50 1 5 10 as well. We would normally play €1/€2 and use 1 5 10. Hate playing rookies myself. Caution is the best method unless they are afraid.

• Advertisement

All beginning players have one big weakness, usually they either fold too much or call too much. (and the 2nd is more common).Spend the first while in the situation watching the others and seeing what mistakes they make, then prey on their weakness. Never bluff somebody who calls too much, but dont be afraid to make big value bets against them.

Dont try any fancy plays, most of the time they wont even notice.

Cheers for advice lads.....Remember Brunson said "..against poor players You gotta show the best hand to win the pot"... This is still true but I plan on seeing more flops than usual..and overbet pot with good cinch hands...
    Also they tend to let you draw for cheap.

Thanks again...
    man I'm bored in work...when will I be good enuff to turn pro!"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bmc

Another thing with newbies that can be handy is cheap flops that turn into monster pots later...

Watch for a while... if they don't get scared off by big bets it can be fun to mix it up a little at the start, let them win a few and suddenly the stakes start to get big. You can get them to the point where post flop raises (and calls) are often 10, 15, 20 times the BB. They never pick up on the concept of value and the size of the pot is irelevant to them. However, the blinds don't change and there's still no preflop action.

Once you've got it going, enjoy the value... any two cards preflop! Just make sure you fold on the flop if you haven't hit. You'll get paid off big time when you do hit though, and since you're seeing so many flops you wont have to wait too long.

Enjoy...
    B

Advertisement