Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo 2 vs HL2 - which is better value for money?

Options
  • 17-11-2004 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Ok, firstly I know Console vs PC blah blah like comparing cats vs dogs (always dogs though ;) ).

Almost finished San Andreas and will be returning the PS2 to it's owner. What I want to know is who has played both Halo 2 and HL2 and which they'd recommend.
    I can only afford to buy one before crimbo and I want to buy the one that's better value for money.

The only reason putting me off HL2 is that there seems to be quite a few people who are completing the game v quickly. And I don't play Counter Strike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

What kind of system do you have? Just to make sure it can play HL2 (at a good-ish resolution and fps).

Personally I'd recommend HL2 over Halo 2. Halo 2 is a good game, but I tired of it quite quickly and found it kind of samey-samey. HL2 so far is a much better game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Have both and i would say HL2.
    The reason being i love pc fps and HL2 is the best ive played to be honest.
    The thing is there is no multiplayer support which is a bit daft. However graphically its
    superior to halo 2, its a lot more innovative (gravity gun for example) and sorry for saying
    it its just better due to the mouse and keyboard combination which works better on this
    genre than a controller.
    Oh and i doubt anyone has beaten HL2 allready since its only out 2days, halo 2 thats a
    different story. But most of the people that beat it in 6-7 hours probably played it on
    easy which is just plain stupid, the game should be played on normal or even legendary
    In conclusion if you have a mate to play with i would get halo 2, the co op game on
    legendary has at least 20 hours gameplay no matter what anyone tells u.
    However if you are going solo then i would give it to HL2, fantastic game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd recommend HL2 simply because it has been a better game so far. Halo 2 is good but the later levels are a bit boring and there have been quite a few complaints about playing it on xbox live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Those some good insights - cheers!

Pc is Athlon XP 2400+, Radeon 9700 Pro and 1Gb of RAM - got good FPS at decent resolutions/settings in Doom3 and Far Cry so i reckon I should be good.

Far Cry blew me away more than any other game in a long time so I reckon HL2 will top that. Shame about no multiplayer though I guess I haven't heard many rave reviews about Halo 2 on Xbox Live.

Anyone who got HL2 and are new to playing Counter Strike? Have heard it's a difficult multiplayer to get into initially.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

Halo 2 was boring to be honest...
    (XBox Live scans your Hard Drive and if its over 8Gb its BANS you)

Im not saying HL2 is the best game ever but it is very highly enjoyable and it restores my interest in gaming...

See my post on Doom 3 @ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=202379 :D

• Advertisement

If you're getting into CS and you havent played it before, keep an eye out for the beginner servers. Usually there's just people on there that aren't as good or are new to the game. If you join a normal server you'll probably get your ass handed back to you by those people (they tend to play hours every day, for years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

See my post on Doom 3 @ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=202379 :D
    You seem like a critical kinda fella :D HL2 it is!

And I should be on par with the CS-obsessives by the time HL3 comes out. (thought it may be sooner than you'd expect - you know what they say about waiting for a bus)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well there was a guy on the hl forum of boards who played hl2 from 8 o clock and 14 hours later completed it. to me that's just stupid as you don't get any time to savour the game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Yes cremo that was me, and I enjoy it far more if I become totally emmersed (sp?) in the game, maybe its just my way of playing, but if you play it in one burst, its far easier to come back to it in the near future and play it again, and as far as Im concerned, it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

HL2 is a much better game and if you have a BB connection there will be a HUGE mod community.

XBox Live scans your Hard Drive and if its over 8Gb its BANS you

No it doesn't. If you change your HDD before ever going on Live there is no problem. It only bans you if you change your HDD after signing u for Live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

HL2, no question.
    Got both yesterday, hl2 & halo 2. (got halo 2 for 10 quid by trading in 4 old games in GAME, sweet deal if you ask me!) Anyway, halo 2 seems good, the into was very nice, but the wow factor is gone from when you first played halo 1. However HL2 is just one big long wow. It impresses you with something new almost every level. And there is, technically, a multiplayer available, as you get CS source free. I only ever played CD with bots, but tried it online last night and sure i sucked, but i still got in a good few kills and wasnt a total n00b.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tenderised Meat

(XBox Live scans your Hard Drive and if its over 8Gb its BANS you)

Guh? Proof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

if i was getting a game for the x box i would be getting the new pro evo cant wait to play that on x-box live

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

I have'nt played HL2 yet, but I can say a few things about Halo 2:

* The lack of keyboard is sometimes very annoying, thinking 'This bit wouldnt be so fugging hard if I was using a keyboard', that said, you get used to it, and end up about 60% as effective with the controller (IMO).

* The vehicles in halo 2 are SO much fun, playing co-op and one of you having a scorpion and the other a wraith = yay :).

* Overall, the weapons are much better than halo 1.

* The graphics arent as big of a jump up as most other new games (like Doom 3), and sometimes you can see the fps dropping a bit. This is to be expected I guess since the xbox is still the same xbox that ran Halo 1. There is good use of lighting/specular/shadows/bloom tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Guh? Proof?

He is referring to the latest Halo2 add-on which checks to see if your machine has been modded and then kills your online play if it does. Its quite good at it too I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Hobbes wrote:
    He is referring to the latest Halo2 add-on which checks to see if your machine has been modded and then kills your online play if it does. Its quite good at it too I believe.

Like I said above. Live chacks if you have changed you HDD since you signed up for live. If you changed the HDD before signing up to live your ok.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Like I said above. Live chacks if you have changed you HDD since you signed up for live. If you changed the HDD before signing up to live your ok.

Which means anyone who has modded their machine up to this point is more then likely screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Deadwing wrote:
    HL2, no question.
    Got both yesterday, hl2 & halo 2. (got halo 2 for 10 quid by trading in 4 old games in GAME, sweet deal if you ask me!) Anyway, halo 2 seems good, the into was very nice, but the wow factor is gone from when you first played halo 1. However HL2 is just one big long wow. It impresses you with something new almost every level. And there is, technically, a multiplayer available, as you get CS source free. I only ever played CD with bots, but tried it online last night and sure i sucked, but i still got in a good few kills and wasnt a total n00b.
    4 Games + €10 = 1 Game.
    Bad deal.

I'd expect €20 for each of my trade in's (not that you'd get that), so thats €80 + €10 = €90 for one game?

Yah, sell your games on Boards.ie, works out much better. Unless you traded in some really bad/old games.

Mentioned it on another forum by accident.. but I bought my game from GAME and the empty boxes they had on the shelves all had CD keys in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Heh, never thought of that.
    Idiots.

I wonder if Valve put it as a condition that the actual boxes were not to be used on shelves. After all the trouble they're going to to stop warez its seems very shortsighted on their behalf.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

HALO 2 aahahahahahah lol no really HL2 beats it pants down no questions

Advertisement