Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Character References For Renting

• 17-11-2004 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭

I'm soon to move into an apartment for the first time & I've been asked to supply character references, which isn't a problem except for anyone I;ve asked to do me one has come back with "ok - but what exactly do you put down in a character reference". It's a good questions. I mean I can't exactly tell them to put down "yeah - he's grand, just hasn't been caught ..... yet!" or "I'm writing this under duress to say he's a grand bloke!"

Any ideas anyone??

::: ven0mous :::

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Normally the best character reference to get in that instance is your previous landlords.

- Paid is rent on time.
    - No trouble at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Hobbes wrote:
    Normally the best character reference to get in that instance is your previous landlords.

- Paid is rent on time.
    - No trouble at all.

Moving out of home for the first time matie - hence the quandry....LOL, cheers though - good place to start... any more??? - anyone???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Reliable, trustworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Many places will take an employer's word, though largely they want an employer reference to ensure that you're not going to flat broke in 3 months and holding back on your rent.

Landlords are people too. Explain to him that it's your first time moving out, he may say OK, or he may tell you what kind of character reference he's looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Should be able to get one from work or the local guarda station...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

In my dealings with <insert name> so far, I have found him to be a reliable upstanding person, timely and friendly to deal with. I have nothing but praise for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

you could just get a mate to sign it as your previous landlord. kinda true if you ever kipped over in his place before.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

ven0m wrote:
    I'm soon to move into an apartment for the first time & I've been asked to supply character references..

Here, I'll give you a 'character' reference ya wee bo11eex ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If you (or your ma) know the bank manager, that would probably be a useful one to get.
    Your boss also, although didn't you say on another thread you just started a new one?

Here, I'll give you a 'character' reference ya wee bo11eex ;)

Cheers Kev - how about I come round the corner to ye & give ye a 'thank you' box in the chops - LOL...... yer a feckin legend!!!!! NOW DO SOME WORK!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Better to pick an employer, teacher, local garda, local priest etc. than just "me mates".

Should be something like

"This is to confirm that I, [local upstanding citizen] have known [your name] for [period of time]. Throughout that time I have known him to be an upstanding, trustworthy individual. He is personable and honest, [insert some random fact here proving your loveliness, e.g. "and always helps out with the local scouts" or "does cabaret at the local nursing home at weekends"].

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me,

Yours,

Random upstanding member of the community.

Better to pick an employer, teacher, local garda, local priest etc. than just "me mates".

Should be something like

"This is to confirm that I, [local upstanding citizen] have known [your name] for [period of time]. Throughout that time I have known him to be an upstanding, trustworthy individual. He is personable and honest, [insert some random fact here proving your loveliness, e.g. "and always helps out with the local scouts" or "does cabaret at the local nursing home at weekends"].

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me,

Yours,

Random upstanding member of the community.

Cheers dude!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You could always online references... although as I recall from UO you slaughtered your neighbours and their friends and made them move house (literally). Probably not a good idea. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I don't know. I just give them phone numbers of past landlords, and leave them to do it. Usually its to make sure you don't break stuff, you pay the rent on time, etc.

Advertisement