Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fat people

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

koneko wrote:
    Irish people really aren't fat compared to Americans, I don't see how they could possibly be right behind them. I was in the States recently and the amount of obese people there is sickening. People here are skinny compared to people over in the States (this was in the Bible Belt mind you).

This is true, when I was living in Ireland all I kept thinking was how skinny everyone was. I am not thin but when I was living there I lost 1 stone within my first 3 weeks there! because the lifestyle change....I was walking everywhere instead of driving and eating less crap.
    When I moved back I put the weight back on almost immediatley.
    Aside from the fact the my metabolism is almost non-existent I dont get to exercise hardly ever.
    I would move back just for the fact that I know I'd drop the weight and keep it off from having to walk everywhere all the time :) I felt pretty good when I was there and I think that was part of the reason.

That being said, it isnt what I eat or how much I eat why I am over weight, I am actually a healthy eater...no coffee or pop, not much fast food (maybe once a week on the weekend) no candy and seldom do I eat junkfood. I eat the right things, its just that my metabolism is sooo slow and I get no exercise. When I get home I am too tired to get motivated to go out walking and the stress levels of everyday life here also drag you down and add to the weight gain factors.

There are people out there that are obese and keep eating fast food and junk and for those people I feel no sympathy, you have to change your diet and your attitude. I am happy the way I am but I know I can stand to lose some weight so I am slowly working on it, I know it wont happen over night. I think you have to be happy with yourself to get results, it is all about attitude ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭frantic_mel

Take the C off chips and what have you got???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

ven0m wrote:
    According to an article I saw recently, we're just behind the USA in terms of obesity levels which is frightening. As someone who in the last half a year decided to shift my bulk (just over 5 stone gone now!), cos frankly I was a fat bastard - I am appalled by how some people will let themselves go & let themselves get into such an unhealthy state. I mean - how can ANYONE enjoy walking & wheezing, or sweating like a prize racehorse from just walking a short distance???? It beggers belief!!! Maybe more doctors should give the warning I got; "Either you start addressing your health & weight, or start addressing for a 8x4x4 plot with a nice headstone & wooden surrounds in the next 4-5 years!" When my Dr put me on the same medication they give to severe heart attack victims to keep my blood pressure down, that was the kick in the ass that made me sort myself out, cos at 25 that's a scary thing to happen, cos you assume that only happens to 'older people'.....

::: ven0mous :::
    What in gods name are you slobbering about. You tell us that you are appalled by fat people and "It beggers belief" how people can WANT to be fat and unhealty. Yet in the same thread you state that you were in that condition not so long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

an elightening thread.. I've been told( by other women) i could stand to lose some weight, i've . just checked my BMI and it's 22.4 well within normal range. :mad: this is one of the reasons why i dont pal around with other women. They put more pressure on themselves to look acertain way than men do! I never feel fat when i'm around my male friends, just when im around skinny women. :rolleyes:

For peoples information a very very detailed website about healthy foods. It goes into great detail about everything in the food. And what diseases it prevents ie. cancer, strokes, heart attacks etc

www.whfoods.com

if anyone knows of any good websites that teaches you about nutrition, recipes and cooking things from scratch will you post them here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Corpulence is a sign of opulence, always has been. Anyone who really wants to lose weight will; most people just like to complain about it and do nothing.

BMI checker here.

Correct and right...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

thin power!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Take the C off chips and what have you got???

In that case I really should stop eating those Mars bars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

tovalee wrote:
    an elightening thread.. I've been told( by other women) i could stand to lose some weight, i've . just checked my BMI and it's 22.4 well within normal range. :mad: this is one of the reasons why i dont pal around with other women. They put more pressure on themselves to look acertain way than men do! I never feel fat when i'm around my male friends, just when im around skinny women. :rolleyes:

These aint sickly thin former posh lookalikes are they?.....22.4 is thin!hell im 21.7 and im too thin for my liking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

BEAT wrote:
    This is true, when I was living in Ireland all I kept thinking was how skinny everyone was. I am not thin but when I was living there I lost 1 stone within my first 3 weeks there! because the lifestyle change....I was walking everywhere instead of driving and eating less crap.
    When I moved back I put the weight back on almost immediatley.

I think the lack of walking over here is the biggest difference. When my family were over for my wedding a few months ago, they thought all the yanks were insane for driving from the hotel to the reception place and back. It was at most a five minute walk. The yanks, on the other hand, thought all the Irish were insane for walking it.

The most disturbing thing going on at the moment is the gastric bypass / stomach stapling craze. They are building a clinic in my office park that is going to do that and nothing else. When they interviewed the lads building it:

Reporter: Isn't it illegal to perform this on someone who is less than 90 pounds (6.5 stone) overweight?
    Doctor: We won't be performing this on anyone who is less than 100 pounds (7.1 stone) overweight.
    Reporter: Are there really many people that overweight?
    Doctor: About 29 million.
    Me: WTF???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

Trigger! wrote:
    These aint sickly thin former posh lookalikes are they?.....22.4 is thin!hell im 21.7 and im too thin for my liking!
    yes, they were scrawney b**ches.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Gandhi wrote:
    I think the lack of walking over here is the biggest difference. When my family were over for my wedding a few months ago, they thought all the yanks were insane for driving from the hotel to the reception place and back. It was at most a five minute walk. The yanks, on the other hand, thought all the Irish were insane for walking it.

The most disturbing thing going on at the moment is the gastric bypass / stomach stapling craze. They are building a clinic in my office park that is going to do that and nothing else. When they interviewed the lads building it:

True, people here are way too lazy. Once you get in the habit of driving everywhere it seems useless to walk anywhere. I am guilty of driving to the store which is 5 blocks away, I could walk there but driving is so much easier. It's sick really, I sometimes think of giving the car to charity and walking and taking the bus to work...which wont happen ;)
    Things are spaced out farther here than is say Dublin, you can walk everywhere in dublin within 10-20 minutes...most cities in the US however dont have everything so close in proximity and it isnt as convenient to walk everywhere.
    My aunt asked me if I was interested in that gastric bypass surgery, I did consider it tbh. My neighbor had it done and she is literally half the woman she used to be...but she always looks tired and drained.
    I dunno, there are some pretty nasty side effects to that so I think I will do it the old fAshioned way ;) Surgery is just another fast fix, kind of a lazy way to lose wieght...but it is also a last resort for most. A lot of obese people just cant lose the wieght..I know its a struggle for me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Could probably stand to lose a bit myself. BMI of 25...

tovalee wrote:
    yes, they were scrawney b**ches.

HAHAHA-well theres your answer!no way really skinny looks good!

Thanks for the rep by th way, will pay ya back when i get loaded up again! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

The BMI checker is unreliable at best, take me for example. I'm currently overweight, for a number of reasons, main one being my lack of discipline when it comes to soft drinks and chocolate, how and ever, according to the BMI I'm Obese, I register at 31.3.

I am overweight but there is no way I'm Obese, it doesn't take into account my build or bone structure. I think you should judge for yourself really, are you happy when you look in a mirror, if yes then you're ok, if no then you need to do something about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I do not wish to offend anyone who may have weight issues, but surely you've all noticed that Irish people seem to be getting fatter and fatter?

But you couldn't help yourself, right?
    yeah but think about it, you see fat girls all over the place with their normal looking boyfriends tagging along with them. Irish men seem to put up with it it. If you ever go to spain and see how the women look after themselves there, or any country in europe really, you'll really question how things work here. Fat girlfriend, 400,000 mortgage for a duplex in the a*sehole of swords, fat kids? no thanks! I'm moving to Europe!!!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭fischerspooner

you're right, I couldn't help myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

BrianD3 wrote:
    People who think that you can "turn fat into muscle" and vice versa. People who think that the way to lose the fat off your belly is by doing hundreds of situps per day.

ive done ok toning my belly in the last few months by doing my sit up routine. and i was under the impression you could turn fat into muscle, and vice versa, am i wrong there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

skywalker wrote:
    ive done ok toning my belly in the last few months by doing my sit up routine. and i was under the impression you could turn fat into muscle, and vice versa, am i wrong there?

Yes.

.logic.

• Advertisement

you're right, I couldn't help myself

Grand so.

You've an ugly attitude, I'd take a "fat" girlfriend over an ugly attitude any day of the week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

muscle is just. .muscle isn't it?

once the fat's gone you'll see more of the muscle.. but you can't just.. make new muscles in your body

BEAT wrote:
    My aunt asked me if I was interested in that gastric bypass surgery, I did consider it tbh. My neighbor had it done and she is literally half the woman she used to be...but she always looks tired and drained.
    I dunno, there are some pretty nasty side effects to that so I think I will do it the old fAshioned way ;) Surgery is just another fast fix, kind of a lazy way to lose wieght...but it is also a last resort for most. A lot of obese people just cant lose the wieght..I know its a struggle for me ;)

My wife's cousin had the surgery a few months back and she has had loads of problems since. She's been back into hospital at least three times.
    I heard that one out of a hundred people who have it will die from it. I know eating healthy and exercising are a pain in the ass, but it is better then going under the knife.

Mordeth wrote:
    muscle is just. .muscle isn't it?

once the fat's gone you'll see more of the muscle.. but you can't just.. make new muscles in your body

lol well everyone has a pretty standard set of muscles. You can anabolise or catabolise muscle, i.e. make it bigger or smaller - same with fat but they are fundamentally two very different seperate types of cells.

One cannot turn into the other.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

...if you burn fat, you can build muscle. I think this is where the confusion starts.

Fat can "turn into" muscle, by working out etc., but you're really burning off the fat (to provide energy) and building up muscle mass. The fat isn't directly changing into muscle.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong folks... :p

Zulu wrote:
    ...if you burn fat, you can build muscle. I think this is where the confusion starts.

Fat can "turn into" muscle, by working out etc., but you're really burning off the fat (to provide energy) and building up muscle mass. The fat isn't directly changing into muscle.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong folks... :p

Technically as Science would have it the theory goes that it is infact impossible to burn fat and build muscle simultaenously.

To burn fat you have to have a calorie deficit to create a catabolic environment, to build muscle you have to have a calorie excess to create an anabolic environment.

However you can switch between both catabolic and anabolic states which make the transaction look as if it's happening simulataenously.

Also there's no reason why you have to loose fat to gain muscle. Look at most Strongmen competitors - relatively high bodyfat and also highly muscled.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I took that BMI thing just now and i'm just under overweight, It was a relief cos I always thought I was reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally overweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭fischerspooner

Ok mate you seem to have a problem with my pointing out that fat girls in ireland aren't even aware that it's a problem, and blokes put up with it. It's rare that you walk into a room somewhere and there's a fat bloke in the Dom DeLouise style there but you ALWAYS see GIANT women in nearly every group of females in the roseanne barr style. I'm pretty sure I saw a survey in an irish newspaper somewhere recently that said obesity is more of a factor in women than men, in ireland.

Ok mate you seem to have a problem with my pointing out that fat girls in ireland aren't even aware that it's a problem, and blokes put up with it.

No, I have a problem with your attitude. You are an obnoxious individual, plain and simple.

Blokes put up with it? Who the f*ck are you to say whether its a bloke's decision in the first place? What do you suggest they do? Start taking the pi*s out of their girlfriends so that they're embarrassed into loosing weight?
    what I meant to say is overweight women seem to be able to collar the doting boyfriends anyway, so what the hell do they care if they're fat or not? They still get the attention women crave, and still get to shove popcorn chicken down their necks whenever they want.

What a thoroughly enlightened chappie you are.

Weight problems should be about a person's health, not some half-assed notion you have that fat women don't bother their (fat) ass because they manage to get a fella anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 NZAI

Ok mate you seem to have a problem with my pointing out that fat girls in ireland aren't even aware that it's a problem, and blokes put up with it. It's rare that you walk into a room somewhere and there's a fat bloke in the Dom DeLouise style there but you ALWAYS see GIANT women in nearly every group of females in the roseanne barr style. I'm pretty sure I saw a survey in an irish newspaper somewhere recently that said obesity is more of a factor in women than men, in ireland.

I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Calm down lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭monroe

I'd suggest the whole fat girl thin boy in the irish context applies to those under 30...................take a look at anyone your parents age........normal size lady.......beer bellyed man......its all to come boys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭monroe

Also if we're going to do the women versus men thing lets make it a fair argument. Women often find it hard to **** extra weight put on naturally at pregnance. Im not talking about those that scoff 7 donuts each day cause they're 'feeding two' , im talking about your average woman. What's the men's reason???? Too many pints during pregnancy??

I Love My Fast Metabolism...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to move your trailer from the diving board"
    "That's not a trailer, that's my son! Chris!"
    "Oh sorry sir, Hey Jack, It's alright, it's not a trailer, just a fat kid!!"

NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    "Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to move your trailer from the diving board"
    "That's not a trailer, that's my son! Chris!"
    "Oh sorry sir, Hey Jack, It's alright, it's not a trailer, just a fat kid!!"

execellent injection of humor to diffuse the atmosphere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I think the general public could do with more education about nutrition, clearer labelling of the content and nutritional value of food and *far* stricter regulation of food packaging and advertising.

I don't know if education would help that much. Nobody is going into McDonald's or Burger King thinking they are getting health food.

Anyone who is that interested in their health / weight has already educated themselves on all the nutrition information labels on everything they eat.

It's not that most people don't know what foods are good for you - they just could not be arsed buying and preparing fresh veggies when they can just swing by the chipper and have a delicious meal instantly.

It doesn't help that heart attacks and weight gain don't happen instantaneously. It is too easy to say "sure I'll get healthy tomorrow, one more burger won't hurt". That's what I've been telling myself for years.

I agree with Simu on the advertising though, especially advertising to kids. They have them addicted to fat and sugar before they can walk. I think some of the Scandinavian countries have no advertising at all allowed during kids programs, which is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Its disgraceful the amount of ads for "foods" aimed at young kids eg. cheese strings, lunchables, Sunny D, Happy Meals etc. All these ads are enticing the kids to eat this food that is pure junk. The way I try and deal with these crap foods is I let my kids have them as a treat maybe at the weekend providing they've eaten well all week. I also buy very little "treats" so there is very little junk in the fridge so its not there in the first place to tempt the kids or me for that matter. Being a Mammy to an 11.5 year old who thinks she's fat (which she's not at all but she compares herself to Christina Aguillera - her current idol unfortunately) I have to be very careful the way I educate her as I don't want her to go the opposite and get a eating disorder. I try and emphasise on nutrition and health and tell her she needs all the vitamins etc. for her to grow and develop but junk food don't have any nourishment only "empty calories". I think (well I hope) she gets the message. I do know girls in her class/on our street who are overweight and they are constantly stuffing their faces with sweets, crisps, coke etc. I wonder why their parents don't just say no you've had enough. I also see parents in the supermarket who's trolleys are full to the brim of junk - tonnes of crisps, chocolate, biscuits and fattening foods. These are all fine as a treat but if you have them in the fridge its the first thing the kids will go for. Another thing is the exercise. My daughter walks everywhere - I don't have a car at the moment and she loves walking. Most evenings I bring my two kids for an hour's walk at least. My son who is two will walk (well run) the whole length of the Quay which is 1 mile and back again. Its a great bit of quality time that we all enjoy and have a chat - much better than sitting watching the tv.

As for myself - I'm 21.6 on that BMI thingy. I work hard to stay at my current weight. Very few women are lucky enough to eat what they want and be the size they want. My motivation is besides the obvious health factor is I prefer the feeling of slipping on a size 12 jeans than a burger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 NZAI

In future, if I have a problem with reputation, I will PM the user in question or make a complaint on the feedback board.

Its like Dennis Leary said, the first day you wake up and can no longer see your penise, stop eating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Bear in mind that the BMI is for average people. If you are in regular training and have a high level of muscle mass it will no longer be an indicator of health.

I've been clinically obese for years now with a BMI ~31

Also as regards fat people and losing weight ... they should remember that it is difficult for everybody. I've been in regular training for 10 years and while I do get a kick out of it, there are always days I'd rather stay in bed or just go home rather that go training. But when I go training, I always feel better for having done so.

Some people argue that I like going to the gym, and I'm just a 'gym person' so it is easier for me. While I may be more familiar with a gym and know my way around, a tough session is a tough session. Just because you get in shape doesn't mean you stop working hard. Actually it is quite the opposite - as you get more and more in form you actually start pushing that little bit further with training.

Anyhows my simple point is - training which delivers results is hard for everyone - no exceptions, no excuse.

JAK.

Its like Dennis Leary said, the first day you wake up and can no longer see your penise, stop eating.

Man I don't even have a 'penise'.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

its called mac donnels spendable income and fast food fast cars ect and coca cola

Then Jak you can probably help me with this one!

Ive joined a gym a few times over the years!im not overweight, but i joined to build myself up and gain some weight!the problem was, after one good session, my limbs would ache for days afterwards and would have to take it very easy and this kept on happening till i eventually gave up!is there any way to avoid that or at least something i could do so i wouldnt ache so much?

Cheers in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jak wrote:
    I've been in regular training for 10 years and while I do get a kick out of it, there are always days I'd rather stay in bed or just go home rather that go training. But when I go training, I always feel better for having done so.
    That's what I've found in my few weeks of training. While I'm pretty good at getting up in the mornings anyway, there have been mornings where I'd prefer to stay in bed for the 1.5 hours extra sleep. Once I get in and do the training though, I don't feel the slightest bit sorry for having gotten out of bed (quite the opposite), and that's what spurs me on to continue getting up the next morning, etc. On top of that, if I have doubts about getting up, I just keep reminding myself that if I don't, I'll be losing out on a session that week, because I won't do it that evening, and I won't do it the next morning, so the next chance I'll get will be the next session I have planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Trigger - Probably DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). Happens to tons of inactive people when they start into training. Nothing to worry about and will pass with time. Some people who train regularly will experience it also if they introduce a lot of changes/new movements into their program. Stick with it it will pass. Think of it as an indication of forthcoming results - muscles broken down will rebuild to cope.

Seamus - Aye, it is all about habit building. Get into the habit, start to make it just a part of your life and try to develop serious guilt when you avoid going (training partners help this considerably).

Thanks! :D will take that into account!

Also, make sure you stretch well before and after. Especially after.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I saw on kiddies news on BBC the other night that the British government was planning to ban all ads for junk food before 9pm. I'm not sure how concrete the plan is, but it sounded like it would affect a huge number of products.

• Advertisement
Advertisement