Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3

Options
  • 17-11-2004 1:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Useless

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

wow, that was a well written review of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

really? I was going to buy it today for 30euro in game. not worth getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Obviously well thought out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

I didnt have any expectations other than graphics for this game.
    Its heavily (totally maybe) graphics orientated (which is fair and obvious) but it honestly has no other substance whatsoever.

I know that Doom and its sequels was just mindless shooting but a story is important to hold your interest. I have all the weapons but the BFG and the Soul Cube so its not like i havent actually played through it...

I just really didnt like this game...its just my opinion...except the Mancubus...which is big and cuddly

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm playing it and it seems... a bit repetetive. The lightining, etc. is glorious but the coridoors, etc all seem a bit samey. I feel like I'm racing around just trying to constantly update my security clearance to open a new door...
    Does the enviornment change much? I'm in Alpha Labs, so it's still early on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

ixoy wrote:
    I'm playing it and it seems... a bit repetetive. The lightining, etc. is glorious but the coridoors, etc all seem a bit samey. I feel like I'm racing around just trying to constantly update my security clearance to open a new door...
    Does the enviornment change much? I'm in Alpha Labs, so it's still early on.
    Eh, not really.

I suppose Hell is the biggest enviroment change. But all the others are just....labby.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I was re-playing KOTOR at the same time and found myself more interested in that, than playing Doom 3. Despite having already played and finished KOTOR before.

It's very samey-samey, very repetitive. It's not a bad game, but it's definitely not 9/10 material.

Ixoy - not really. I'd say more but I don't want to spoil it. Read the spoiler if you can't resist:
    You get to go to Hell which is cool at first, but gets boring aswell. Then when you think the game is going to end you go right back to Delta Labs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Imo superb game best FPS of the year so far, atmoshphere is perfect, graphics nice and gameplay is excellent.

After Hell the scary part goes and in comes mini gun madness, nicely paced in that it starts out to scare you ( worked for me) then after hell its kill em all old school doomies.
    Mars base feels like a base on Mars so the atmoshphere it creates works.

Now had 0 hopes of that being agood game and 0 hopes of HL2 , both making me a happy bunny :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Eh, not really.

I suppose Hell is the biggest enviroment change. But all the others are just....labby.
    If the Doom 3 expansion pack is Echo and Foxtrot Labs I'll be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I found it very repetitive aswell.
    The graphics alone are amazing.
    The story is hokum.
    They tryed to create a creepy atmosphere
    reading emails and listening to audio logs is not my idea of fun.
    One touch that i liked was the
    martianbuddy.com website novel/funny
    The game should be fun not boring.

RKM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i haven't played yet because my rig is really a piece of poo in this day and age and i reckon you really need to have all the graphical bells and whistles going on hto really get the enjoyment out of this game.

for example a Czech lad managed to get it running on a 2 Voodoo 2 12megs SLI rig and while thats some acheivement in itself it surely ruins the game without the fancy lighting etc. The polygon count looks crap too.
    warning! screenshot intensive
    http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1462

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

I didnt have any expectations other than graphics for this game.
    Its heavily (totally maybe) graphics orientated (which is fair and obvious) but it honestly has no other substance whatsoever.

I know that Doom and its sequels was just mindless shooting but a story is important to hold your interest. I have all the weapons but the BFG and the Soul Cube so its not like i havent actually played through it...

I just really didnt like this game...its just my opinion...except the Mancubus...which is big and cuddly

What about the sound ?? Doom3 has the best sound of any game I have ever played also the graphics are simply the best can't remember how many pairs of pants I went through playing that game. Both sound and graphics in Doom3 are better than Half life 2 but the HL2 game is much more fun to play !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Doom3 had its moments and overall I kinda liked it, but maybe thats because so many people thought it would be the dogs b*llocks and then it turns out to be just OK, I expected it to be utterly pants, and was pleasently surprised tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

Im at the teleporter stage of Delta labs. The sound is excellent but i didnt mention it because i think that the worse than useless guns really wreck the atmosphere sound wise...honestly i can totally see what people see in the game but even though im not a HL2 or Halo 2 fanboy (wouldnt wait in line for them) i did find doom to be boring.

I loved Doom2 so much because all you had to do was f*ckin plough through demons with the plasma gun to feel great...It had a great agressive nature when your face changed as you mauled the enemy...I loved throwing on level 7 which was "Dead Simple" or level 8 "Tricks and Traps" and just f*ckin givin em hell.

Doom 3 has none of the stuff that a 10 year old game has...It just changed it to ploughing through emails to get the code for a door you need to open or whatever and though this presents a good realism effect i really wanted something like Serious Sam 2 and the original Doom(s) with twice the speed of Doom3 and no reloading.........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

very repetative, but thoroughly enjoyed it! nice game!

play it alone at night! awesome!

Advertisement