Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do They Know It's Christmas? (New Version)

• 17-11-2004 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

I heard it this morning and was not impressed. The music is poor and the singing isn't any better. There are a few parts in it where it sounds reasonable, but only a few. Not a patch on the original. Bland Aid as it is being labelled. It needs a sticking plaster, but that won't cure it.

Radio Pembrokeshire in Wales have stopped playing it, due to the reaction of their listeners. They are encouraging people to buy it for the fundraising but they are playing the original.

Has anyone else heard it? What did you think?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

aren't Busted involved?

buying my copy tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Yeah, heard that on 2fm this morning, there is a rap in the middle of it ? wtf is that about?? And the trade mark bells at the start are gone.
    The cd also has the original version on it, so at least thats a bonus.
    But the general advice is buy it and chuck it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Thought it was reasonable until I head the rap part. My god, what were they thinking. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i think its not a patch on the original, but think its better than Band Aid II anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was around when the first was released and it thought that version was pants as a piece of music, however in light of the new version it suddenly sounds strong and well produced.

Band Aid 20 should be bought but never played.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

gogo wrote:
    Yeah, heard that on 2fm this morning, there is a rap in the middle of it ? wtf is that about?? And the trade mark bells at the start are gone.
    The cd also has the original version on it, so at least thats a bonus.
    But the general advice is buy it and chuck it.
    Or give money directly to charity - don't buy the record - which if you're going to chuck will only harm the enironment....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Anima wrote:
    Thought it was reasonable until I head the rap part. My god, what were they thinking. :confused:

Agree, the most inappropriate rap ever.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 maxcherry

Have not heard the song. However I did hear that Dizzie Rascal was going to be involved - aggghhhhh - nuff said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Or give money directly to charity - don't buy the record - which if you're going to chuck will only harm the enironment....
    exactly give to charity and save the enviroment at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭e38418

its llike theyre all tryin to sing over each other, in it for being able to say "i sang in that song with whats his face" methinks. they seem to have forgotten the idea behind it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

So full of wisdom. :)

I'll never win here, am off to take recycling lessons. Should I have not chucked that cd player/stack of newspapers/plastic bottels/drink cans and non gummed envelopes out last week either then? ;)

Back to bland aid, the celeb line-up is supposed to be brutal as well. You'd think Bono would know better, they were fighting over who got to sing the last line, bono or justin from the Darkness.

/me laughs to herself at the stupidity of it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Ah that fight is obviously just rubbish, a bit of hype for the newspapers to get more people interested in it. A bit ham fisted but fair play to them if it works and they sell a few more copies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

e38418 wrote:
    its llike theyre all tryin to sing over each other, in it for being able to say "i sang in that song with whats his face" methinks. they seem to have forgotten the idea behind it

Agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think that none of the artists seems to be able to sing at all, nevermind singing in time and in tune with each other

And all that fuss about Bono's line, it sounds terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

dudara wrote:
    And all that fuss about Bono's line, it sounds terrible.

Agree again! He was going for deep and meaningful but ended up with awful. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

It was rubbish in my opinion, the music sounded bad, the singing was rubbish, the rap was just laughable and what was that at the end, sounded like people herding sheep FFS

A JOKE.... if it's not broken, don't fix it TBH.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

urgh, just downloaded it there, vastly inferior to the original. Bono's line sounds lame and weak compared to the power of his line in the original. wtf is rap doing there? They've tried to modernise a song that didn't need modernisation and it ended up sounding rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

i heard a dj on a dublin radio station boasting about how he downloaded the new version he had just played

ahem....starving kids in africa and youre downloading the tune for free?

aside from that i dont really like it...the dizee rascal rap bit in the middle annoys the hell out of me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I too think its a heap of smelly stuff.... They have taken a decent cheesy tune and ruined it by adding a BLINKING rap in the middle..... Shocked and appalled at that and also the "new and hip" electric guitar twanging away as well is painful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Dont all you young folk listen to the rap music, with your hipping and your hopping, your bipping and your bopping?

its rubbish sadly. still I'm sure i give bob some "fooking" money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think it's disgraceful to read about people here downloading the new Band Aid track instead of buying it!

Think of those poor people out in Africa, they can't download food, can they? Most of em don't even have the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Most of em.... I'd be suprised if anyone had the internet. They' be a bit pissed off with the fat people thread ;)

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Pigman II wrote:
    I think it's disgraceful to read about people here downloading the new Band Aid track instead of buying it!

eh? i might as well have a listen to it now out of curiosity instead of waiting till i'm in town to buy it and listen to it. I'll buy it, but i didn't want to wait a few days before finding out what it was like and joining in on this discussion.

bono was on radio 1 yesterday mornin sayin he didnt even want the line but the producers(ahem) said he had to,right me if im wrong but dont think he would of sang it if he didnt want to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Heard it this morning on Ray D'Arcy. He didn't play enough for me to hear the rap (thank GOD), what I heard though was a pile of Sh1te!.

The original was a song I heard almost every christmas since I can really remember so I've come to assocciate it with all those good times with the pressies and whatnot, however I hope the only thing I will assocciate with this version is the smell of my bin as I leave the garbage out on thursday.

Total Rubbish!

Pigman II wrote:

Think of those poor people out in Africa, they can't download food, can they? Most of em don't even have the internet.

Perhaps they should get off their skinny arses and try to sort themselves out instead of relying on handouts all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

The rapping part made me laugh and cry at the same time. Crap song

Perhaps they should get off their skinny arses and try to sort themselves out instead of relying on handouts all the time.
    WHAT??!!
    Thats why the smart charities eg concern, world vision give them tools so they can help themselves. wasnt too long ago when we had a famine and relyin on other countries to help us!! obviously these people dont want to see their children grow up dirt poor. take your head out of your ass canis lupis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Why dont all you do-gooders send your money to:
    Band Aid Charitable Trust
    PO Box 5301
    London W1A 3WW

It'd be better than putting that tripe on the number one spot

• Advertisement

e38418 wrote:
    WHAT??!!
    Thats why the smart charities eg concern, world vision give them tools so they can help themselves. wasnt too long ago when we had a famine and relyin on other countries to help us!! obviously these people dont want to see their children grow up dirt poor. take your head out of your ass canis lupis

pah!!! dont be so moralistic..... the reason they are all starving is their own ppl fight wars amoung themselves while our nations cripple them with debt. Back in the old days when they were taken for slaves their own ppl used to round them up and sell em on. Aids is rampant in Africa where they can't or won't learn about it and then cry out for medicine to make them feel better while they are dying.... They have big families because big families mean when they are older they will have their kids to rely on but it also means more mouths to feed in the short term and furthermore meaning the kids are wayed down by this extra burden and repeat the cycle themselves when older..... I'm all for the ideal of "teaching a man to fish" but in fairness in a lot cases I beleive they find it easier to get a cup of rice of a lorry then make an attempt to better their lives.....

fair enuf
    just dont think its fair to tar them all with the one brush

e38418 wrote:
    fair enuf
    just dont think its fair to tar them all with the one brush

fair I wont argue with u cos u are right as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

from bbc
    here are the final confirmed vocal lines for the single:

Chris Martin:
    It's Christmastime, there's no need to be afraid At Christmastime, we let in light and we banish shade

Dido:
    And in our world of plenty we can spread a smile of joy Throw your arms around the world at Christmastime

Robbie Williams:
    But say a prayer, Pray for the other ones At Christmastime it's hard, but when you're having fun

Sugababes:
    There's a world outside your window And it's a world of dread and fear

Fran Healy:
    Where the only water flowing

Fran Healy & Sugarbabes:

Is the bitter sting of tears

Fran Healy & Justin Hawkins:
    And the Christmas bells that ring there are the clanging chimes of doom

Bono:
    Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you

Will Young & Jamelia:
    And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime
    The greatest gift they'll get this year is life

Ms Dynamite & Beverly Knight:
    (Oooh) Where nothing ever grows
    No rain nor rivers flow

Group of ten & Joss Stone: Do they know it's Christmastime at all?

Tom Chaplin (Keane):
    Here's to you

Justin Hawkins (Darkness): Raise a glass for everyone

Dizzee Rascal:

Spare a thought this yuletide for the deprived
    If the table was turned would you survive

Busted:
    Here's to them

Justin Hawkins (Darkness):
    Underneath that burning sun

Dizzee Rascal:
    You ain't gotta feel guilt just selfless
    Give a little help to the helpless

Joss Stone & Justin Hawkins:
    Do they know it's Christmastime at all?

Tom Chaplin:
    Feed the world

Tom Chaplin & Chris Martin:
    Feed the world

Tom Chaplin & Chris Martin & Sugababes:
    Feed the world

Tom Chaplin & Chris Martin & Sugababes:
    Feed the world

Everyone (in the big studio)
    Feed the world
    Let them know it's Christmastime again - repeated

Fran Healy:
    Woooo

Group of 10:
    Feed the world

Everyone (in the big studio)
    Feed the world - repeated to end

Joss Stone:
    Ad Libs over outro

I know I'm old and out of touch but even so that guest list hardly rates compared to the original does it?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

From someone who's relatively new (17), I can, without doubt, say that with the exception of perhaps Chris Martin and Bono, everybody else in that song will be filed under 'nobody' in a decade. Not a patch on the original lineup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

NoelRock wrote:
    From someone who's relatively new (17), I can, without doubt, say that with the exception of perhaps Chris Martin and Bono, everybody else in that song will be filed under 'nobody' in a decade. Not a patch on the original lineup.

Don't agree, dude. Joss Stone has staying power imo... she is extremely talented.

There should be a boards.ie recording of this, for the pure sneer.

I bags the line "Where nothing ever grows, no rain nor rivers flow".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

" bags the line "Where nothing ever grows, no rain nor rivers flow"."

where dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I haven't heard it yet but this
    Dizzee Rascal:
    You ain't gotta feel guilt just selfless
    Give a little help to the helpless
    just reminds me of
    Jarvis Cocker: "Help the Aged"
    Ali G: "yeah, help the mother****ing aged

Ah I'm getting steadily more cynical in me old age.

Apart from that, Mr Rascal's first line makes absolutely no sense to me and sounds like he wrote it just to rhyme with the second line (which itself is nicely put, albeit blunt)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

ah, its not too bad. In all honesty, what can you expect really? The rap part is a ****e. I hate rap in general but the rap on this is exceptionally dire.

Advertisement