Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Knocking sounds when Wheels at full lock

Options
  • 17-11-2004 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

hi

recently i've noticed a knocking sound from me the front of me motor when i lock the wheels fully at anything upto 30mph.....probobly can't hear it above the engine over that...

from the bit of surfing i've done...it seams it may be CV joints???

Are these a big job to replace??

1995 Mazda 323F 1.5

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Gryzor wrote:
    hi

recently i've noticed a knocking sound from me the front of me motor when i lock the wheels fully at anything upto 30mph.....probobly can't hear it above the engine over that...

from the bit of surfing i've done...it seams it may be CV joints???

Are these a big job to replace??

1995 Mazda 323F 1.5

Thanks

I've developed the exact same problem (00 Audi A4) so I'd be interested in the reply's. I'd say it is CV joints though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep its your CVs if its front wheel drive. They can be replaced by the DIY hardy but its a bit of a fag to be honest as you have to replace the rubber boots which are packed with grease. Still that said I've done it more than once and its not technically difficult just messy.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/jack_stands/automotive_advice/CV_uni_joint/cv_joint.html

Mike.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Exact same problem here on a 97 Mondeo.. but only happens when car is at
    full lock turned to the right and in reverse.. work that one out.. :D

So when car is in full lock turning either left or right going forward, then
    everything sounds fine... :confused:

Get the local mechanic to have a look methinks.. Is it an expensive job?

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Yeah , sound like one of the cv joints. Center nut(outer shaft ) is hard to undo, many times I had to use air driven torque wrench to get the bastardo off.

Also depending on the clip type for rubber boots, you may need to use special tool
    or
    just use cable ties which do the same job and are widely used by smaller garages

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Do you get a single "knock" as you wind on full lock or do you get a continuous knocking when you drive on full lock? If it's the former it's likely to be something like a ball joint, worn steering rack, split bush in the suspension etc. If it's the latter then it's probably a CV joint.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

BrianD3 wrote:
    Do you get a single "knock" as you wind on full lock or do you get a continuous knocking when you drive on full lock? If it's the former it's likely to be something like a ball joint, worn steering rack, split bush in the suspension etc. If it's the latter then it's probably a CV joint.

BrianD3

continous knocking for me anyways.....seems conclusive enough its the CV's...must go check the prices.. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Gryzor wrote:
    continous knocking for me anyways.....seems conclusive enough its the CV's...must go check the prices.. :eek:

Ditto. Is it expensive to repair?

daveg wrote:
    Ditto. Is it expensive to repair?

just got a quote from "Limerick Brakes"....€54 +VAT each (includes Boots).....add labour on top of that....anyones guess.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

108 + 21% = 130 + 50 per side = 230 euro. Roughly!

Mike.

well without going mad one mechanic should do 1CV joint in 45min , ok say 1hour per side which is plenty.

total=two hours of work

go on tell us

• Advertisement

just confirmed it when i got home....the rubber boot on the left joint was torn....in two pieces...but the right one seems intact.....

well shes in with the mechanic as we speak.....the lads are fighting with my joints....the old ones are siezed in apparently....there was mention of heating the hubs to get the old ones out :eek: ........can't wait for this bill!!!

Gryzor wrote:
    well shes in with the mechanic as we speak.....the lads are fighting with my joints....the old ones are siezed in apparently....there was mention of heating the hubs to get the old ones out :eek: ........can't wait for this bill!!!

maybe they should unscrew center nuts first :D

only messing

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    Exact same problem here on a 97 Mondeo.. but only happens when car is at
    full lock turned to the right and in reverse.. work that one out.. :D

So when car is in full lock turning either left or right going forward, then
    everything sounds fine... :confused:

Get the local mechanic to have a look methinks.. Is it an expensive job?

Tox

exactly the same problem on a 98 Si.

got the job done yesterday...only 65 yoyo's for the labour.......BUT the lads managed to knacker a bearing in the left front in the process...there allways seems to be a "but".. :rolleyes:

just wondering should i have to fork out for this.....the bearings were fine before i left it in...the story i got when i went in again this mornin was "oh yeah they go sometimes when we change the cv joints, a risk of the job"

jut wondering...

The bearing was probably knackered anyway and fell apart as soon as they started messing with the hub, driveshaft etc. Common enough thing to happen, same thing happened to my mechanic (who's an extremely competent guy) while he was changing brake shoes on my old car.

BrianD3

BrianD3 wrote:
    The bearing was probably knackered anyway and fell apart as soon as they started messing with the hub, driveshaft etc. Common enough thing to happen, same thing happened to my mechanic (who's an extremely competent guy) while he was changing brake shoes on my old car.

BrianD3

****e can happen but if you replace brake pads and kill the bearings that bit too much.

they do go very quickly, usually when mechanic's preferred tool is universal spanner (hammer) . You should be advised before the procedure that this may happen.

It's like saying , O yeah i can stick rear view mirror back on your windscreen but glue can crack your glass in month's time. Mechanic should be aware of this things as this is what they do .

the least guy chould do is :

offer you free fitting when you get the bearing.

i think this would be fair ,

you replace brake pads and kill the bearings that bit too much
    In the case of brake pads I would agree. But if you're removing the hub nut (eg for taking off a brake drum, changing a driveshaft or brake disc etc.) then you can find that it's just the last straw for an already knackered bearing so it just falls apart. But yeah the mechanic should fit the new bearing without any additional charge and let the owner pay for the part itself.

BrianD3

Gmodified wrote:
    ****e can happen but if you replace brake pads and kill the bearings that bit too much.

they do go very quickly, usually when mechanic's preferred tool is universal spanner (hammer) . You should be advised before the procedure that this may happen.

It's like saying , O yeah i can stick rear view mirror back on your windscreen but glue can crack your glass in month's time. Mechanic should be aware of this things as this is what they do .

the least guy chould do is :

offer you free fitting when you get the bearing.

i think this would be fair ,

yeah...what pissed me off the most was that they said they took the car for a testrun after they did the joints. when i went to pay for the job there was no mention of a bearing gone. Its bloody loud enough you couldn't miss it. :mad:

i'l be coming to some "arrangement" allright. ;)

Advertisement