Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hints/tips going to vrt office.

Options
  • 17-11-2004 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Some of you have been there, whats the procedure, etc, and any advice before I bring the car up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Never been through that proceedure but I'm tempted to say if its got alloys take them off and use some steels if you can. Turn up with it filthy dirty and cheap looking as possible!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

That would be my advice too but I recall someone saying here before not to bother removing any of the "extra's" from the car as it wasn't gonna make too much of a difference.

Have you tried the link to the VRT Calulator ? If so what figure is that returning ? It will be interesting to see does it match the actual figure the VRT quote you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭masto1983

Have you tried the link to the VRT Calulator ? If so what figure is that returning ? It will be interesting to see does it match the actual figure the VRT quote you

The backend/database to that online system is the same as the database to the system the VROs use so it should be the same figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Where is this VRT calulator? Never knew there was one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭masto1983

Go to http://www.ros.ie, and theres a link there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I got a rate off the online sys for the car I brought in, on 10 nov it was 696 euro, I go up today and its 1218 euro. Plus they dont adjust the vrt price for mileage!!!! The price that comes up is the price you pay. So I walked back out, took the car with me, until they explain the 600euro rise since 10 nov. :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

@kersh

consult point 3 here
    http://www.tax.nl/en/docs/Cases%20European%20Court%20of%20Justice%20during%202001%20concerning%20VAT%2021.htm

If this is correct it would seem to me that if they do not adjust valuations based on milage then Ireland's implementation of VRT is illegal

I checked the ROS calculator using a car with 8000 and 38000 miles on it and the same VRT figure was returned for both cars.

It would also be interesting to request(via FOI act) the source of valuation for similar cars in Ireland. If price is taken from forecourt valuations then VRT is over-estimated and Ireland's implementation is again illegal as actual selling prices could be thousands of Euro lower than forecourt price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Mailman wrote:
    If price is taken from forecourt valuations then VRT is over-estimated and Ireland's implementation is again illegal as actual selling prices could be thousands of Euro lower than forecourt price.

Sounds like double-taxation to me... Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't forecourt price already include VRT?

So you'd be calculating a tax value on an already-taxed item value? 25-30% on top of car price + 25-30%? :confused:

+ VAT, Road Tax, etc.? F***** Hell :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

What kind of car was it kersh? Was is coming in from Britain or Japan?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ambro25 wrote:
    Sounds like double-taxation to me... Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't forecourt price already include VRT?

So you'd be calculating a tax value on an already-taxed item value? 25-30% on top of car price + 25-30%? :confused:

+ VAT, Road Tax, etc.? F***** Hell :eek:
    It is double taxation but totally legal!
    In theory the forecourt price is the price for the car but this doesn't contain a registration tax as the car is already registered. I think the way the revenue view it is that a car sold new for 20K (incl. VAT & VRT) may be worth 17k after 1 year. However, this resale price is down to market forces.
    Similarly, a dealer has to charge VAT on a 2nd hand car but private sales don't include this!

Its a Nissan 300zx twin turbo, first registered in japan in 1990, then brought to the UK in 98, and registered over there. Sometimes the car is called a fairlady Z. The vrt for a fairladyZ was 696 euro on monday, and yesterday it was 1218 euro.....how..... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Never saw the price of the VRT double in a day. Either you used the wrong info on the first quote or there was a major change to the syste.

I can see a 300ZX on the VRT system online. Why are you using a Fairlady?

On the mileage issue, I'd say thats a problem with the online system. Why else would they ask.

If its not, then there is an oppertunity to make some easy money. If you buy a car a 5 - 6 year old car with really low mileage they are not charging you for it. You'll save a packet it you do it right.

I put it in as a fairlady and a 300zx to get cheapest price. My car is actually a fairlady z jap car, and the vrt doubled in a few days. I was on the phone to them there just now, and they wont take any less than 1218 euro, and she said mileage doesnt matter, you pay what comes up.

Advertisement