Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a college network???

Options
  • 17-11-2004 5:00pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭

i'm doing a project for college, in which we have to set up a large network in a college. there is supposed to be 5 seperate buildings, with a total of 325 computers. now, i'm a bit screwed in this, since i can't find any decent notes or sites for this. there's loads on setting up a small network, but not much to this scale. Anyone know of any sites or resources that i could use. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Its pretty much the same principal, I should think, just applied to a larger scale. You'll need to consider how you are going to arrange the computers, forms of logical segmenting (if any), etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You have a LAN in each building all computers on the same SUBNET

You have a WAN between buildings using ROUTERS to keep local traffic local.

One point connects to the internet and you have a firewall there.

Servers can be central or local depending on how much data / who needs to see it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jack_christie

loads of stuff on 3com.com, cisco.com etc

try search the cisco site with *.ppt, for useful diagrams

IP Subnet Calculator might be useful:
    http://www.wildpackets.com/products/ipsubnetcalculator

I know the layout in one college is the main big switches are connected by a fibre backbone, off site localcations connected by leased lines. Then just connect smaller switches from the main switches to the class rooms. Shove in a few firewalls and bobs ur uncle.

JC

Advertisement