Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racism in Soccer.

• 17-11-2004 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Looks like the Spainish coach Luis Aragones racism row is lingering on. He went on the offensive and basically called English people racist. There was the incident at the U-21 match against England and Spain. Some of the supporters were making racist chants and noises to a few of the black players.

Personally I think its high time the Spanish FA are made an example of by UEFA. There is not enough being done to address this problem and too many people/organistaions are getting away with it. I think Spain should have to play some of its games behind closed doors and be forced to launch a massive anti racisim campaign.

There was also an incident involving some of the Sky Sports commentators referring to "the 10 little ni***rs". As noted on the media, Sky seemed to forget all about this incident but were quick to point the finger about Aragones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There was also an incident involving some of the Sky Sports commentators referring to "the 10 little ni***rs". As noted on the media, Sky seemed to forget all about this incident but were quick to point the finger about Aragones.

No comparison, Frank McClintock made an unfortunate passing quip as he quoted a old book title whereas the Spanish coach, not for the first time used deliberate racist language towards a particular player. He had some cheek to accuse the English of being racist colonisers given Spains history!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I'm aware of what the Spanish did in South America. Its a disgrace.

Anyway, I think that this should be addressed in La Liga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Flippin disgraceful tonight the spanish should be disgusted with themselves and so should their orchestrator that is Aragones. Everytime a black player gets the ball the monkey chants begin, insulting thugs whom of which live in the dark ages. What can we expect from a country that throw pigs heads at players. Why do they bother turning up.

The annoying thing is that FIFA and UEFA will look the other way.

Mike.

That was a total disgrace by the Spanish fans every time a black player had the ball. This is 2004 FFS. I thought that racism was well out of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Well said jollyrodger insulting prats but they are everywhere. If you go to spain there is virtual no black people living there except for the few in the coastal resorts selling jewellery. A total unwelcoming bunch of thugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

True. It's disgusting what Cole has had to go put up with there tonight. What will Blatter have to say about It ? Spain should be made play their games behind closed doors after the crap the spewed tonight.

contact@fifa.org

Sir,

May I suggest you send this to the Spanish Football asociation
    http://www.fifa.com/u20/2001/media/resolution-E.pdf
    they clearly need to do some reading. T

The behaviour of the crowd tonight was deplorable I trust FIFA will not be found wanting.

Your faithfully,
    Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Muppet wrote:
    True. It's disgusting what Cole has had to go put up with there tonight.

Not only Cole. Wright-Philips was a target too.

Absolute disgrace.
    The Muppet wrote:
    What will Blatter have to say about It ?

Not a damn thing knowing him
    The Muppet wrote:
    Spain should be made play their games behind closed doors after the crap the spewed tonight.
    Completely agree, 100%

I have to say, if I was the England Manager / Captain I would have taken the team off the field.

You may say it would be giving in to the racist scumfucks, but at least it would draw some kind of attention, and maybe get a proper reaction out of UEFA / FIFA. Imagine the headlines across the footballing world if England walked off the pitch after something like 70mins in a friendly game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I was hoping that Ericsson would have the balls to take the team off the pitch in protest. It's going to take something like that to get Blatter and the rest of his cronies to sit up and pay attention instead of just paying lip service to the problem.

• Advertisement

Snap!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What are the FA supposed to do, concretely?
    "Here lads, no racism"
    "OK so, sorry"
    ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

What a disgusting display by the Spanish crowd tonight, appauling. Honestly I'm surprised I'm giving out about Englands opposing fans for once, but it was horrible to see. Had England walked off the pitch it would draw alot more attention as UEFA/FIFA won't give it the time of day I bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Yep, only certain countries are made to pay in football circles, if this happened in England FIFA and UEFA would be looking for a ban from International football.

Certain countries like Turkey can do what they like, but will be interesting to see if anything happens to the Spanish after tonight, I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"Here lads, no racism"
    "OK so, sorry"
    ?

Well if FIFA had any convictions they'd make Spain play their next three home games behind closed doors. If their fans can't act like civilized human beings then they shouldn't be afforded the privelage of watching their team play.

I can't see that solving it, tbh, and it sould be lousy for the ordinary fans who actually go for the football. Won't they just go away if you ignore them? How much fun is it to make a monkey noise if nobody listens?
    Actually, it's probably they high point of their lives, now that I think of it.

"Here lads, no racism"
    "OK so, sorry"
    ?
    I can't see that solving it, tbh, and it sould be lousy for the ordinary fans who actually go for the football.
    Both fair enough points, but look at it this way.

Imagine you are Ordinary Football Fan, who goes to see games for the football.

Now imagine some other halfwits in the crowd start racially abusing players on the pitch, or people in the crowd.

Now imagine, the morning after the game, the governing body come out and say "If this happens again, your team is going to have to play games behind closed doors"

The next time you go to a game, and see/hear a halfwit attempting to racially abuse a player, you might do something about it, so as to ensure you can go and watch your team in their next game.

Also, your team's official body might sit up and take notice too, and actually actively discourage this behaviour by removing offenders from the ground and imposing life bans or somesuch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Spot on, If they had to paly a game of two behind closed doors the crowd would be more likely to police themselves and the Spanish FA would be more likely to remove the morons from the stadium to prevent futher punishment losing further gate receipts.

If English fans did this there would definitely be diciplinary action taken idnt fiifa warn Ireland over the rangers player booing which but The monkey noises last night was much more serious. I wait to see what action is taken but like the rest of you I won't be holding my breath,

I still don't see how the non-tools in the crowd could get the monkey-men to shut up, unless there was an organised campaign that everybody stayed absolutely quiet when it was going on and the stewards/police then threw out the offenders. Bit of a stretch of the imagination, but yeah, there must be some inventive way of embarassing the idiots into submission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Taking action action against the clubs or country in this case does work. Just look at english or italian fan behaviour in European matches now and in World Cup etc.

In fairness a lot of work has been done in England and Italy, the rest of Europe was quick to point the finger and demand action. There should be one policy, not action depending on the power your countries FA has in FIFA !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

couldn't agree more, while it's a disgrace black players got savagely treated by heartless thugs in madrid, it's very rich coming from the english considering the blatent booing of every away anthem in england. (mind you it's got better in recent years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It must be great to be so righteous!

English club and national supporters had almost 20 years of 'doing the monkey' to black players before they finally decided to cop on. Even today they fervently boo away teams anthems as tho they're not even fit to be played inside their hallowed grounds! Pure scumbag racism. And don't tell me it just a minority group either. The booing v Wales last month was louder than any noise the 'fans' at Old Trafford subsequently made during the 90mins.
    If someone beside me at Lansdowne booed during an anthem (even the English one) I'd tell him to s.t.f.u and if he didn't I clatter him then-and-there even at the risk of be ejected.

I'm sorry for what was directed at WrightPhilips and Cole but the average English punter bleating on about 'how it's a disgrace' should have checked his diary for what he was doing on the days when the fella next to him was (1) Booing the Welsh anthem, (2) turning every major citycenter meeting point in Europe to some kind of medievel battlefield and (3) throwing banana's at the likes of Cyril Regis for a laugh.

Pigman II wrote:
    It must be great to be so righteous!

English club and national supporters had almost 20 years of 'doing the monkey' to black players before they finally decided to cop on/

The point is things did used to be bad but matters have improved greatly in the last 20 years. So the message is that the Spanish FA and Government has to follow Britains lead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4025165.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4024921.stm

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

mike65 wrote:
    The point is things did used to be bad but matters have improved greatly in the last 20 years. So the message is that the Spanish FA and Government has to follow Britains lead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4025165.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4024921.stm

Mike.

That's very kind of England to highlight to the Spanish the error of their ways and point them in the right direction thru experience but perhaps the Spanish should actually be following the example of a national support that can actually in 2004 treat opposition fans/players with respect & congeniality instead of one thats only slightly less racist than it was 20 years ago?

Once upon a time I'd have offered Ireland as the model, that was of course until our callow support started to 'evolve' to the stage of pathetically booing current (and even ex) Rangers players so I guess that rules us out as example of an enlighted support too.

BTW on another point I wonder would Nigeria or Cameroon (or even Ireland with Morrison & Reid) have been met with same reaction if they'd been playing in Madrid on Wednesday? Something tells me the answer would be 'no' and all this less a case of White v Black and more a case of 'England fans behave badly when they come to our cities, so lets give as good as we get in any petty way possible'.

Pigman II wrote:

BTW on another point I wonder would Nigeria or Cameroon (or even Ireland with Morrison & Reid) have been met with same reaction if they'd been playing in Madrid on Wednesday? Something tells me the answer would be 'no' and all this less a case of White v Black and more a case of 'England fans behave badly when they come to our cities, so lets give as good as we get in any petty way possible'.

Hard to know but there will be a another test next week when 'Boro play in Spain and already Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank has said he'll walk if the crowd starts on him.

Mind you JFH is always threatening to walk out of somewhere or other!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

mike65 wrote:
    already Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank has said he'll walk if the crowd starts on him.

And once that's reported in Spain, what does he think the response will be? Silly boy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

And once that's reported in Spain, what does he think the response will be? Silly boy...

excactly, like waving a red flag infront of a bull and not expecting anything to happen.

Also, does this happen in La liga, i have never heard of it. Or when spainsh teams play in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Heres an article from sky news, some interesting views and reading.

But this had to be the pick of the bunch.

This disgusting episode just illustrates even more clearly that multicultural and modern Britain has no place in the Europe of the EU, with its far right nationalist parties, racism, high unemployment and backward looking economy. Modern Britain with its rich Commonwealth heritage has out-performed the EU economically and now, culturally too.
    Laith, Camberley, UK

i was even tempted to put this in the humour section.

• Advertisement
Advertisement