Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SATA with IDE drive

Options
  • 17-11-2004 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I have a computer with 2 Harddrives connected with IDE.

I stupidly bought a new hard drive that is ATA. My motherboard does support SATA but can i have both types of drive connections running together?

Also while i notice that the mother board supports SATA i dont see a powercable anywhere that fits the back of the drive, is a special type of connector and is there an adapter that can convert between the normal power leads and the power connector on the drive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I stupidly bought a new hard drive that is ATA
    IDE is ata as well just so ya know ;) (ata33/66/100 etc)
    My motherboard does support SATA but can i have both types of drive connections running together?
    As far as i know you can. My mobo has nps with it but it may differ for yours. Id say it shouldnt be a problem tho.
    i dont see a powercable anywhere that fits the back of the drive, is a special type of connector
    Yer there is. All sata drives ive encountered take both types but this obviously has differered for you.
    s there an adapter that can convert between the normal power leads and the power connector on the drive?
    I cant say for sure but i'd imagine you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

ive got a few of the power cables that your looking for and if your in dublin you can have it on the house if not you can pay up as far as 10 euro ....its a simple 4 pin molex to sata power .........pm me and let me know if your in dublin ...

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

Figment wrote:
    My motherboard does support SATA but can i have both types of drive connections running together?

Simple answer is YES ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Thanks guys.
    And thank you dubdvd. I am not sure when i will be around next so i will order it in. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Woot! New silent PSU arrived today complete with ata power cable. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement