Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland voted No1 for best country to live

• 17-11-2004 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

So Ireland came 1st out of 111 countries to be voted for the best country to live in. Making Switzerland 2nd....

Amercia came 13th &
    UK came 29th

Thats very impressive dont you think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Well you can understand it can't you?

It's one of the cleanest countries, one of the cheapest, house prices are at an all time low, it's not nigh-on impossible to afford car insurance when you're just starting out, politicians aren't corrupt........

oh wait we're talkin about Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

im rather shocked at that tbh nice country and all but best in the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭frantic_mel

yip, it was on sky news ireland. I think its great and i have to say im very proud. The only 2 factors that were low were the weather & the gender equality.

Will look for an official source...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4020523.stm

offical enough still i find this a bit odd i cant even afford insurance because im a guy so i guess gender equality still is a issue in ireland after all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

loada me arse. honestly, who can vouch for it? who makes decisions like that? cos it certainly wasn't us, the irish, we hate this place more than anyone in the world and we bloody live here! which is in fact a great point, if we hate it so much, why is it "the best"? there's plenty of americans that love their country and all that, and apparently that stands for nothing that a countries own inhabitants dont like the place! i tell thee.... the worlds gone mad and i'm tagging along for the ride! WEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Er speak for yourself this country has its faults but i love the place wouldnt want to live any where else dispite the problems

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Perhaps they got us mixed up with New Ireland
    an island paradise of sandy white beaches, clear springs and rivers and soaring mountains that run the entire length of the island.
    Sorcery, shark calling, surfing and gourmet seafood including coconut crabs, crayfish, reef-fish and unpolluted shellfish make New Ireland and its outer island an escapist dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Apologies bizmark. but are we not admittedly a country of people who do a lot of complaining? we must have something to complain about, from my experience its generally always problems with our country. dont get me wrong, i dont hate the place, but i've got my whole life ahead of me and all i have are worries about everything from house prices to car insurance to the general cost of living, its daunting to say the least.... :eek:

I know what you mean im 20 i have all this crap ahead of me but still theirs no where else i would be and yes we are a nation of complainers :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

hmm I have always wondered this, anyone care to shed a light on the following....

Who voted on this thing and has anyone here every voted on such a thing??

Also, in those polls where they state that such and such was the opinion of so many people, who are these people that get asked?? I've certainly never been asked and I don't believe I've met a person who has. Anyone here been asked for their opinion??

This has baffled me for some time :)

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Oh God. I'm waiting for someone to jump out and announce that I have been concussed for quite some time, and today is actually April 1st.

It's the only explanation, tbh.

I hate all the bulls*it about how proud people are to be Irish. Come on its crap, we had no choice in being born here.

Anyways Ireland is a pretty sh*itty country. Everything is unbeliveably expensive, the weather sucks, most of the people are assholes, ect, ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I moved to London and, I have to say some things are better here, some are worse.

Better: Cheaper Alcohol, Marginally better weather, Free shipping off amazon.co.uk

Worse: Hard to find non prepackaged sandwiches. Higher Crime. We have most English products, it's hard to find Irish products here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Im proud to live in this country, we do have problems, but compared to anywhere else, we have a lot LESS of them, believe it or not. For instance, ther'es one gang rape every 30 minutes in london(not sure HOW accurate that is, I can't remember the exact details, but it was something just as bad). This is hardly true here.

Over all it's just a nicer place to live. I love where I live, I love the poeple, friends, neighbours. I am truly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

I can't believe that. When I've saved enough money to leave this country, I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

bizmark wrote:
    Er speak for yourself this country has its faults but i love the place wouldnt want to live any where else dispite the problems

I agree! People need to shut up moaning and do some more productive stuff, like drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭nutkase

I could not agree more, I miss the place and would move back in a heartbeat if I could. Why? we are talking about a place with the best education system in the world I was so thankfull when we moved back from england lived 5 miles outside Trim a beautiful town people took great pride in its appearance determined to win the tidy town competition. When complete strangers talk to each other they ENGAGE each other in a real coversation.

About the only thing I do not miss is the weather at this time of year its the middle of nov and i am sitting here in a pair of jeans and a T-shirt but with global warming maybe ireland will become a tropical paradise and garnish island will not be the only place with tropical plants then we would have to rename the place utopia

Tommy, do some productive drinking for me a Real pint of the blackstuff at the Judge and Jury ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

It was the Economist that brought out the results of a year long assessment of Ireland and the changes since the magazine last looked in any depth at this country in 2002. It was prety much spot on the money and cited Ireland's family values and close-knit communities as the reason for it's poll-topping performance.

Car insurance for spotty males under 25 was well down the list of criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

nutkase wrote:
    Tommy, do some productive drinking for me a Real pint of the blackstuff at the Judge and Jury ;)

I'll go one step further and furnish my paypal details to you so you can finance my drinking binge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Can't wait to see what the rest of the ex-pat population of boards have to say about this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

I disagree with this report.

I'm really not sure how they weight it, but it doesn't make sense. I moved back to Canada about 4 weeks ago, and its is drastically better here.

Everythign from infastructure to health care, to prices, to general standard of living, Ireland pales in comparison.

The economY is good in Ireland, but I would never be able to afford a house, or drive a car there. I allready have a car (and reasonable insurance), and the houses are 30-40% cheaper. The health care system is also dramitically better.

I think the most obvious sign that this report should not be taken at face value is to look at the migration rate of Irish people. Yes there is net immigration now, but there are still LOTS of Irish that leave the "best coutry to live" in search for a BETTER life in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

YOU'LL NEVER BEAT THE IRISH!
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Well i for one love my country!wouldnt wanna live anywhere else in the world!
    I have been abroad quite a few times and i tell you every other country has as much problems if not more!
    Im proud of that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

bizmark wrote:
    I know what you mean im 20 i have all this crap ahead of me but still theirs no where else i would be and yes we are a nation of complainers :)

Nation of complainers? Are you having in a laugh? A nation of sheep would be a more apt description. Have you not witnessed the rip-off culture in this country?

I, for one, find this report staggering. Whoever came up with it needs to lay off the Guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I think that the fact that The Economist has a skewed value system is part of peoples incomprehension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So Ireland
    Iceland. ICeland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

*snigger* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭nutkase

I'll go one step further and furnish my paypal details to you so you can finance my drinking binge.

Well If I could I would thing is the swiss got so mad at comming in 2nd that when they found out I was irish they froze my assets and closed my bank account. Lets face it the only reason they are runners up is swiss cheese how hard can it be to make cheese without holes in it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm currently living in Australia (on the Gold Coast) - its so good out here I struggle to think of anything that is better in Ireland... Everything out her is so much more like it should be. Fantastic weather (its almost always a beautiful sunny day, excellent infrastructure, The property market out here would make you cry in comparison, and generally the quality of life is just way better for everyone.

I'm living in an incredible resort with pool, spa, sauan, gym, cinema, free internet, close to everything, for about 70 euro a week.

You get rediculously cheap insurance, which is actually optional, as once you have your road tax the government include 3rd Party insurance with it - so a 17 year old can drive a Sklyine/Scooby if they want.

Although I really miss my friends and family, there is not much I miss about Ireland itself, and it kills me to think that I'm going to have to come back to crap weather and rediculous prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

You don't miss even one foodstuff or restaurant in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

So Ireland came 1st out of 111 countries to be voted for the best country to live in. Making Switzerland 2nd....
    They really should introduce mandatory drug testing for the people that do these studies much in the same way as they test Olympic contestants.

I mean the fact that Switzerland came 2nd says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

PH01 wrote:
    YOU'LL NEVER BEAT THE IRISH!
    :rolleyes:
    ...unless you're English with 800 years to spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

boo4842 wrote:
    I disagree with this report.

I'm really not sure how they weight it, but it doesn't make sense. I moved back to Canada about 4 weeks ago, and its is drastically better here.

Everythign from infastructure to health care, to prices, to general standard of living, Ireland pales in comparison.

The economY is good in Ireland, but I would never be able to afford a house, or drive a car there. I allready have a car (and reasonable insurance), and the houses are 30-40% cheaper. The health care system is also dramitically better.

I think the most obvious sign that this report should not be taken at face value is to look at the migration rate of Irish people. Yes there is net immigration now, but there are still LOTS of Irish that leave the "best coutry to live" in search for a BETTER life in other countries.

Have been to Canada and it aint better than home to be honest!.....First off, the food is horrid!And i mean terrible, can only count on one hand the amount of times i got decent food there and i was there for 2 weeks!
    You cross the road at an 'undesignated crossing area' and your arrested for j-walking!The minimum drinking age is 19(what a weird age, still suppose its better than America, 21 :eek: )
    The road system in Toronto is an absolute nightmare to try and navigate!Even locals say you have to have a thorough knowledge of it really to get around!
    And lastly, i did not notice that it was cheaper to drink in Toronto or anything else than in parts of Dublin!

Advertisement