Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

issues with www.jes.de "machine from hell"

Options
  • 17-11-2004 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

a while ago jes computers sold a machine they called stupidly the machine from hell
    it looked go so i bought one , its a fujitsu siemens with 2 x200gb samsung drives
    athlon 64 3200 and fujitsu d1607 motherboard which is a via chipset with via raid currently striped for 0. when the machine arrived everything was in german no big deal comes with the territory , I changed the german xp home to win xp pro edition ( no upgrade option due to the language dif)
    having done a few installs and re installs I have noticed a few things.....

when i did the first install of xp pro I used the driver disc supplied (which updates the system automatically) and my processor was clocked at 989mhz in my computer by win xp
    puzzled i rang siemens who told me there was nothing they could do and that all should ok and asked me was the system running any slower (there is no option in the bios to change the cpu settings )
    I reinstalled windows xp pro and cpu clocked at 2200 by win xp
    updated win xp with sp2 and updated drivers from the windows web site update function. I thought would be okay. Unfortunately
    but I cannot seem to get the pc to boot at all into win xp
    and get pretty constant blue error screens, at best it begins to boot to win xp and resets, reboots ,resets etc etc
    now I cannot get it to boot even into safe mode really begining to wonder is it software or hardware related.
    I updated the bios as advised by siemens help desk (who are pretty head wrecking) , and having gone through the xp knowledge base for the last few weeks with regard to the the error screens and i cannot seem to sort it out
    and its been a heart breaking experience, I built a pc for a mate using col -loki 's suggestions and no problems at all !!!! Go figure buy this machine and I feel like I am in hell.!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I've just ordered one of these things. arg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

well its a great bit of kit the only thing is , as has happened in my case if something goes wrong, I just hope its software related not hardware but not knowing whether to return or not is the killer !!

one thing i have found annoying is that there is no reset button which is annoying , its quiet and fast ,its I just that keep getting a variety of blue screens mainly a crucial process has caused the system to crash or something like that .
    are there any other machine from hell owners out there ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Windows is notorious for mis-reporting the speed and model of processors - it doesn't affect the real preformance.

There are HUNDREDS of free apps on the net which will give you the real story.

FJ machines are well built, I used to sell them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

it probably has cool n quiet enabled, which means the processor clocks itself down so it minimises heat (it just makes sure that the load is less than 100%, and increases clock speed as the load goes up).

The blue screen is probably due to the ide drivers, so, go to the via site, download the sata drivers, put on floppy and load when winxp tells you to hit f6, make sure they are the latest versions and for winxp. included ones are usually out of date.

cheers will look for sata drivers and cpu clock reporter other than win xp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

good advice on sata drivers - though it could be hardware related still - but so many problems are sfw its worth checking it all out before an RMA

post the error messages if they are recurring and it may shed more light for us

I had a lot of probs with a recent re-install also due to sata raid driver issues and windows update - the windows update fubared my silicon raid controller - even caused probs PRIOR to windows boot

all working sweet now though - good luck!

cheers for the advice will give it a run tomorrow and post any errors i receive in the mean time here's hoping its software !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

vasch_ro wrote:
    cheers for the advice will give it a run tomorrow and post any errors i receive in the mean time here's hoping its software !!!

Might just be SP2 I had to format and reinstall recently after SP2 was installed. Cant remember the exact message but aparently it was pretty common. Happened if a certain security update wasnt installed first (Youd think when your using autoupdate it would install that first, naw theyd never make it that easy :rolleyes: ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Just kinda taking a stroll from the topic but would it be worth my while to upgrade from 2000 to XP?
    Any major advantages or any disadvantages?

well to end the thread here's what happened the error I kept getting was "a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated " stop 0x000000 f4 etc etc

had a look at this at microsoft and then double checked drivers and updated raid driver , flashed the bios to version 10 for d1607 mainboard and so far no blue screens of death and its been happy half life 2 days

The problen with the system boot remains , ie not booting into win xp and freezing on the boot screen so rang f-siemens ireland who were very helpful this time and they said that they would replace the mainboard for and that an engineer will call out to the house !!! They seem to think its hardware issue whether its common to the board or not i do not know!!
    So mixie if u do have any issues its a europe wide warranty and u can deal with f-siemens ireland.
    Thanks to all those who posted much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Thanks for that info Vasch.

Out of curiousity, from time of order until it arrived at your door, how long did you have to wait to get your new system? (and at the time of order, was it in-stock/backordered?)

Every week they insist they're getting a delivery next week (and there's only like 5 people on the queue including myself).

Advertisement