Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Reilly Murder Arrest today (Wed Nov 17th)

• 17-11-2004 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Why is it that the Evening Herald can name the "man in his 30's" who was arrested today, even splashing a big picture of him on their front page, but RTÉ radio and television cannot?

Is there a legal reason and if so, why does it not seem to bother the Evening Herald?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

OFDM wrote:
    Why is it that the Evening Herald can name the "man in his 30's" who was arrested today, even splashing a big picture of him on their front page, but RTÉ radio and television cannot?

Is there a legal reason and if so, why does it not seem to bother the Evening Herald?

I haven't been paying attention to this case, but was the man arrested for murder or for questioning? Anyway, if it for murder, The Evening Herald may have already biased the case, and it is likely that the mans lawyers will try and get it thrown out of court (assuming they have no evidence to use in his defence). They can say that The Herald printing his details meant that people may assume guilt etc. etc.... It also depends on the wording of their piece I think.
    If it is just for questioning and they name him, I think they could get in trouble for connecting his name with a murder when there was no legal reason to.

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

He was arrested for suspicion of committing a murder but has just been released without charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I was wondering the same thing about the picture... every radio and tv news report on it just mentioned a man arrested in the Naul area but yet the Herald, Star and i think the Mirror had a picture of the man in question on the front page.

Is it weird that the two arrested on Tuesday were held for 36 hours but yet the man in question was only held for 12.... ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

The two arrested on Tuesday were arrested for with-holding information (something like that) where as the guy arrested yesterday, who has been released, was on suspicion of commiting murder, and they could only hold him for 6 hours before charging him.

The Gardaí now plan on going through the evidence that they collected from the interviews yesterday.

The RTE 2 news at 11pm last night also said that there was a lawyer who dealt with civil liberties in the Garda station...so this could be to deal with the Evening Herald! It is a little bizzare!!!

Just on maybe an unrelated topic, has anyone noticed that the RTE site has been down since last night!

I would imagine that the papers are in trouble for printing photos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mig29ie

"...the RTE site has been down since ...."

Well, RTE experience a lot of technical difficulties, rare occurrence on sky News :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Very dubious how information from the Gardai is being made available to journalists. Eamonn Dunphy has had a lot to say about this on his show. Suffice to say that it is a very bizarre case and the Garda have got it spectacularly wrong in the past. I also find very odd that the husband and family were invited onto the Late Late show so soon after this appalling event. Why?

Having said that has the "can't get a fair trial because of the media coverage" ploy ever actually worked before assuming that somebody will be charged.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Just in case anyone is wondering I've edit some of the thread to remove any statements that name the man in question. I would like to ensure that all libel laws are adhered to here, even if our national media aren't so keen.

flogen

Advertisement