Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England players disgracing themselves

• 17-11-2004 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭

Half time, England getting a footballing lesson from Spain, humiliating themselves further by kicking lumps out of the opposition. This is becoming an awful advertisement for English football...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not the way I see it at all. Aside from Rooney being out of order and deservidely getting taken off, there's been alot of Spanish play acting and over exageration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Yeah, the spanish dont like that part of the English game one bit. Sven reckons this is his best team ever and technically they are as good as Spain. I dont know how he came to that conclusion.

However, looking at that tonight they are a mess. No connection between midfield and the forwards. Lost all control of the midfield. Passing is pretty poor. No one is making any kind of decisions at the back.

Maybe its just lack of motivation ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Halt time score and other stuff relating to the score in spoiler tags!
    Well, Half time and 1-0 to Spain, who have also missed a penalty.

Once again England fail to adequately deal with a set piece, and concede a very soft goal.

It was never a penalty, IMO Robinson won the ball, there may have been some contact with the player, but the keeper is entitled to go for the ball in that kind of situation.

I cannot believe the way the England players are behaving.

Rooney would have been sent off in a competetive fixture, but to replace him with Alan Smith seems like madness given the current hyperactivity of the English team.

England are playing very poorly however, very disjointed.

I like the look of the Spanish right winger, Jaoquin (sp?), he is giving Ashley Cole a torrid time, and Cole's yellow card illustrates his frustration.

Also, Gary Neville seems intent on injuring Reyes.

Mods : I'll remove the spoiler tags later if I can, if it seems people are not bothered / know the result already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Cole shouldnt have been booked, it was a clean tackle.

Rooneys push was as a result of Casillas' comments today about Rooney. Just petulance. Taking him off was a very bad move, why didnt he just wait until half time.

The Spanish are milking all Englands "rough hand" tactics.

Poor first half from England. Im sure the second half will be different. 1-1 final score.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Taken from Football Live
    42 mins: Eriksson supresses the risk of a red card by replacing Rooney with Alan Smith. The teenager refuses to acknowledge his replacement, throws his black armband worn in memory of Emlyn Hughes to the ground and storms down the tunnel. A sorry, embarrassing episode for Rooney and the nation at large.
    :eek:

Jesus what a ****ing baby, Now watch him squirm as the English tabloids launch a crusade against him and his team mates

And its only a friendly like :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

rooney is overrated and spoilt, the british have him nearly convinced that he is the next Pele or Maradona, so is it a wonder he acts the way he does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Rooney has behaved like an absolute prat (as well as a small section of the Spanish 'fans')

Defintely a lot of hype about Rooney. He is a very good player but is a long way away from the finished product. He could turn out to be another Gazza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Too many substitutions in the second half to make it even halfway meaningful.

I was sickened by the taunts directed at England's black players. An absolute disgrace.

I wonder what action will be taken against the Spanish FA for this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Jesus , Match of The Day's commentators really slated the English .

First time I've ever heard that ..

Quote of the night " The night Rooney went Looney"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Helguera was only saying that Rooney's temperment will let him down.

And here is the article about Casillas talking him down

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=238371&lid=2&cpid=219&title=Casillas+in+Rooney+jibe

Rooney must have seen or heard of that. There could be no other explanation for his push...............unless he is just a total scumbag :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Watched this and couldn't believe how out classed England were by Spain. I mean Spain had 64% of the pocession for gods sake and against a nearly full strenght (well for the 1st half) English team.

Rooney was lucky not to get sent off and tbh I think they did the right thing in taking him off, he would have gotten himself sent off before half time imho. He had lost the plot!! Cole was lucky as well not to get himself sent off and needs to calm down.

But the most disgraceful thing about the night was the section of Spainish fans that booed the coloured England players. I hope Spain get a hefty fine for that pathetic behaviour by their fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Well first off I am english as you may know and watch my team and support England in any match. Last night was a joke of a match where players did not show any interest in even trying to take any control in the game. My little boy shows more passion in football than any of these so called pros on the picthc last night. That said Spain deserverd to win by at least another 2 or 3 goals, they were by far the better team although the peno was a bit iffy! they still were far the better side.

On Rooney I have said before and will say again he is a twat of the highest order and after showing his anger at being dragged off the picth he then throws his black armband away. This shows a complete lack of respect for one of the English games greats players and entertainers in Crazyhorse, Rooney needs a good slap in the head and is going to feel the full might of the so called English press and they come after the little sh1t this week.

On Spains fans i have to say like all countrys/clubs etc.. there is always a section out to cause trouble and it was here tonight, england have twats who want to fight!, Spain have a section racists fans. The Monkey chants were disgusting no other word for it. We are living in 2004 not 1904, Spains FA need to get this sorted and now. Fifa needs to make an example of this sort of carry on.

Rant over i`ll get back in my box quitely :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

in all fairness, rooney is 18!

let the first one of you lot who never had a temper tantrum when you were a teen step up to the plate :)

it doesnt matter about being professional, or whatever, when youre a kid, your still a kid.

as for the english team, they were muck. they remind me of chelsea under guillet. one game impossible over the top brilliant, and the next, shooting themselves in the foot against the bottom of the division.
    personally, i dont think ericsson is up to the job.
    perhaps they can hire murionho at the ned of the seasonw hen he gets sacked!

Rooney is a ned who happens to be very good at football and a multi-millionaire. It shows and he will self destruct before he is 25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

Rooney:

Did you see him in the corporate box swigging from a bottle of beer before realising he was caught on camera? And throwing away the armband for Emilyn Hughes, mouthing "f**k off" to whoever it was? There's no getting away from the fact - he's a complete knacker. (Annoying how Lineker tried to defend him by saying "I'm sure he wasn't aware of the implication of what he did" - of course he did, he's not 10 years of age FFS!!)

Agree re the racist chanting - FIFA/UEFA need to step in, it was shockingly over the top.

Delighted England got a good pasting last night. Hopefully the next time they beat the likes of Maldova 5-0 the press over there won't be **** over how world-class Lampard & co are.

but lampard is world class.

what is the problem irish people have with admitting that the english have a good squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

They have a great squad, quality in almost every position, but they can't seem to gel together to a sufficient extent. Many international managers would kill for the choice Ericsson has in defense, yet they concede a sloppy goal like that from a corner.

England do have a good squad, that in itself, does not make them world beaters or world class.

• Advertisement

but lampard is world class.

what is the problem irish people have with admitting that the english have a good squad?

They have a good squad, there's no doubt about it. But:

1) They don't play well togther
    2) The coach's tactics are pre-historic
    3) Their technical ability is sadly lacking, as demonstrated last night

To summarise, England's players may look world class against the dross of the Premiership but when they come up against teams at the highest level, they disappear. Was Lampard even on the pitch last night? I heard a rumour Owen was playing?

Irelands main problem is that we still cant put the ball in to the back of the net often enough. We just dont take our chances and finish off teams. We should have beaten Croatia 2 or 3-0. Same with France in the WCQ. we should have won 1-0.

England on the other hand can finish teams off when they might not look great. When your 2-0 up the team can rest and be ready for the next match. We always bust ourselves and cant string a decent run together in a major campaign.

I always like the way Spain play, a lot slower but technically brilliant and take their chances when they come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

in all fairness, rooney is 18!

let the first one of you lot who never had a temper tantrum when you were a teen step up to the plate :)

it doesnt matter about being professional, or whatever, when youre a kid, your still a kid.

Then maybe he shouldn't be playing professional football WWM. If he can't carry himself with grace and patience in a friendly, what chance has he got in a high-stakes competitive match? He has a very suspect temperment, one that needs significant coaching work to improve.
    personally, i dont think ericsson is up to the job.

Couldn't agree more. That is a very good England squad (what we wouldn't do for one of their three CBs or one of their four strikers), playing exceptionally bland football. For all the talk of the England team's togetherness, it all appears to be off-field, not on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Then maybe he shouldn't be playing professional football WWM. If he can't carry himself with grace and patience in a friendly, what chance has he got in a high-stakes competitive match? He has a very suspect temperment, one that needs significant coaching work to improve.

How is he going to learn from his mistakes, if he is not playing and making them?
    Of course Englan need to choose carefully which matches he plays, but to say he shouldnt be playing professional football, cause hes 18, a millionare and has an attitude? What world are you living in?

IMO 90% of 18 year olds who were suddenly millionares would get into trouble one way or another!

If he doesnt learn from his mistakes fair enough, slate the bloke but to expect "Grace and Patience?" Look at a professional sportsman, for who aggression is a big part of his game, like Roy Keane. Do you think he personifes Grace and patience?

If Rooney goes on to have anything resembling the career and iimpact Roy had had on the game of football he would be a huge success.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

How is he going to learn from his mistakes, if he is not playing and making them?
    Of course Englan need to choose carefully which matches he plays, but to say he shouldnt be playing professional football, cause hes 18, a millionare and has an attitude? What world are you living in?

The real world?

It's a meaningless friendly remember, or hasn't Sir Alco had a word in his ear yet 'bout that?

He threw himself into a number of stupid challenges, then when he was substituted he throw a strop. Yes he's 18, does that mean he's too young to understand the consequences of his (childish) antics? I'd let the odd indiscretion pass (aul slappers for one) but if he's gonna play high pressure football (and he will in an England or ManYoo shirt) he needs to control his anger. The odd outburst will always happen, but continually, in the same match? All he was short of doing was throwing his toys out of the pram...

The best way for Rooney to get his own back at the comments from his opponents was to prove them wrong. Score the goals that England desperately needed, show them he is the player the papers make him out to be. All he's done last night is show his future opponents what a bit of niggle can achieve. Its gonna be a long hard slog for the rest of his career if that remains the case.

He put in one bad tackle at the start of the game, and then gave Casillas a slight shove when chasing the ball.

The next tackle right after was a fair one, he went in hard as you would expect because it was 50-50, the Spanish player made a meal after it, and alll the others were the ones losing their heads not Rooney. He walked away calmly. But it was because of this fair tackle that they decided to take him off, a fair tackle! No wonder he was annoyed.

While Im not defending the manner he walked off the field, I can understand it, why couldnt they have waited until half time? Why not sub him after the Casillas incident? Taking him off after that tackle indicated that the management didnt have faith in him to keep his head. Rooney never lost it himself, like so many of the others who were constantly badgering the ref, until he was taken off. It was a bad move by Erickson and he must shoulder some of the blame.

i think he is judged harshly, because people would love to see him fail.
    simple as that. he is a talented player. paul gascoigne was a talented player, and look what happened to him.
    it doesnt matter what age you are, people will always make rash challenges, and do stupid things.

i remember a certain utd player who jumped two foot first into tthe crystal palace crowd.....

i remember a certain irish captain ruin someones career in a revenge tackle

i remeber a certain german keeper take out a french centre forward in the 82 world cup semi final.

but hey, the show must go on...

and Ardent, with regards to saying that england are not world class is not right.
    they are world class, they just have a manager who plays them like rubbish.

reminds me of a certain recent liverpool manager actually...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Problem is England dont have a good squad.
    Their midfield is very poor.
    Has no shape to it and gets stretched too often.
    The gap between the English midfield and attack is huge.
    England must realise they are an average team.

What? They are a world class side but their manager is the reason why they are not really a world class side but if they had a world class manager, they would then become a world class side?

• Advertisement

and Ardent, with regards to saying that england are not world class is not right.
    A bunch of world class players, certainly not a world class side.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

This may be a bit nit picky but Rooney is 19

I don't know, call me crazy, but I was under the impression that one of the characteristics of world class players was the ability to pass the ball to a team mate??

The term "world class" is thrown about far too easily in the modern game IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Ardent wrote:
    I don't know, call me crazy, but I was under the impression that one of the characteristics of world class players was the ability to pass the ball to a team mate??

The term "world class" is thrown about far too easily in the modern game IMO.

Yeah but look at what Greece in the summer. Would any of their players be considered world class? And somehow the managed to win Euro2004. This shows that a lot of the is down to the manager and how he gets his team to play. Mourinho is the man of the moment. A team built from a solid defence and trust each other when passing the ball around. England would do well to find some like him.

On a side note: the racist spanish b******, uefa/spanish fa definitely have to do something. If England were caught doing something similar the punishment would be swift and harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Problem is England dont have a good squad.
    Their midfield is very poor.
    Has no shape to it and gets stretched too often.
    The gap between the English midfield and attack is huge.
    England must realise they are an average team.

Em, yes, the midfield, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Wright-Philips, Scoles .. the list goes on. They do not have a poor squad, they have an abundance of quality players. The manager however fails to get them playing as a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I wonder what the odds of Rooney doing a beckham and having the best season of his life due to coverage of his 'disgrace'.....wouldnt suprise me if he plays great football for the remainder of the season.

Didnt see the game so cant comment on the preformance or the racist taunts, from what i heard from others it was a disgrace. I think Gordan Taylor is right in saing England should have walked off the pitch I think it would have really put the ball in FIFA's court much more than a 'call for acion to be taken'. FIFA will investigate and spain will get a fine probably worse than what ireland sustained for booing rangers players.....is there much of a difference in the thinking behind the booing? dont think we are too far off the spain engalnd lark....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

johnor wrote:
    ....is there much of a difference in the thinking behind the booing? dont think we are too far off the spain engalnd lark....

The booing of Rangers players at Ladsdown was wrong biut to compare it to what happened last night is way wide of the mark. A large chunk of Spanish Fans made Monkey at players because of the colour of their skin, I don't think that would nver happen with Irish fans , You are always liable to find the odd moron that would do it but I would be very surprised and ashamed if it happen on a large scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I agree that from what i hear it was on a very large scale there and also I dont think you find racist chanting very often in Irish football, however I think booing players because they play from rangers goes back to the whole religious ties between celtic and rangers. I think what made last night worse is the fact that the spanish manager was claimed to have made racist comments about Henry to Reyes and had been accused of it in the english press, he came back with remarks about the british invading etc. I dont think the behaviour of a national coach should be to wind up fans, players by bringing these kind of things into play. what happens i the dressing room should stay there but putting things out in the media, i cant understand, imo it gave the fans reason to act as they did.

Also, I did notice in the Ireland Fuji rugby match a similar 'monkey chant' took place....it was no where near as bad as last nights form what i hear but i dont think its out of irish sport/ fans completely.

hmm, celtic players disgracing themselves today.

what do you make of that?

naughty headbutts and deliberate handballs.
    bad bhoys....

bad bhoys....

WWM - Did you see the game?

If you did, you would have seen

1st half
    Novo kicking out at McNamara - nothing done

Thompson brushing his head off Lovendrands head. Lovenkrands then going down on the park rolling 3 times cluching his head ala Rivaldo - Thompson sent off and Lovendrands booked for diving

Camara kicking out at Vignol - nothing done

2nd half

Sutton handling the ball - 2nd yellow card

Novo stamping on Pearsons neck whilest Pearson was on the ground - nothing done

By far the worst incident of Novo on Pearson but I suppose you did not see the game therefore missed that one.

Some of the players from both teams and the ref disgraced themselves today but hey, you did not see it so you can be forgiven

bad bhoys....
    How biased can you get? The player who disgraced himself in the Thompson-Lovenkrands incident was certainly Lovenkrands. Sutton's handball was hardly a disgrace, just a silly spur of the moment thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Rooney over reacted, he is a kid at the end of the day, did not know any better, BTW who said it was beer???? Was it not Perrier water??

Everyone going on about Rooney when the biggest disgrace was the Spanish fans, what a shower of ignorant people, FIFA should hammer them with bans and their boss should step down.
    It seems this will also effect their bid as well

England have great players, not a great team. Why that lad Dowling from boro was on the left is beyond me, Should have Wright-Phillips, Lampard, Butt and Dowling.

The Spanish players did not help either, shower of diving fkers

Thompson brushing his head off Lovendrands head. Lovenkrands then going down on the park rolling 3 times cluching his head ala Rivaldo - Thompson sent off and Lovendrands booked for diving
    http://members.boards.ie/eirebhoy/lovenkrands%20dive.avi

eirebhoy wrote:
    How biased can you get? The player who disgraced himself in the Thompson-Lovenkrands incident was certainly Lovenkrands. Sutton's handball was hardly a disgrace, just a silly spur of the moment thing.

sorry, have you read some of the usual celtic bias shíte that gets said on these boards.

im delighted celtic lost. and beaten by a better team on the day.

thompson went to head butt someone. thats a red card offense.
    yes, youre right, lovenkrands magically moved his head.

come on, heard it all before. this is the usual crap that man utd supporters come out with.

erpsonall. i put celtic and utd supporters in the same basket. they both tend to have their heads up theri arses as well tbh.

admit it. celtic were beaten by a better team.

BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH
    BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH
    BLAH

of course you would say that.

celtic can do no wrong.

but you are happy to bash the english.

again, beten bya better team.

you cant even admit it.

The next Celtic post I see on this thread will result in a ban !!!!

Why?

because the thread is meant to be about england players disgracing themselves perhaps? :P

anyways, back on topic...

whatever the spanish fans did/didn't do doesn't excuse the actions of the english players on the pitch.

They sucked and just resorted to blatently trying to injure the other team and horrible deliberate fouls.

TBH the priemereship is FULL of this kind of stuff recently and it looks like its translating into the national side's game as well.

Which is what I thought, generally the guy who brings the off-topic subject into the thread is the one who is warned

Anyway, looks like Yorke was subjected to some racial abuse during yesterdays game. Maybe the dark ages are returning

While I agree that there should be no place for racism or racial abuse, the fact is that it is actually very deep rooted in both english and irish society.

Belonging to an "ethnic minority" group myself, I experience it from time to time as well.

Though tbh I think its silly to make a big deal out of people taunting you or calling you names. That kind of thing doesn't bother me. Cause nine times outta ten, these people are loosers, not to mention ignorant, and if I get upset everytime someone called me "black" (which ironically i'm not) or a "paki" (which surprisingly AGAIN i'm not), then I wouldn't be able to live.

Unfortuantely the kind of racism that does really affect "us" is the much more deep rooted institutionalised kind, where no one says anything to your face. Where they are nice to you and say "hello" and are extremely polite to your face, but will never hire you for anything other than cleaning the toilets :)

But I think racism is a topic for a whole other post and would probably be served better on humanities!

Which is what I thought, generally the guy who brings the off-topic subject into the thread is the one who is warned

Well by the time I saw this it was too late as a few had joined in. Next time report the post and stay on topic yourself ok. Any problems with this go to the Feedback section and whinge there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement