Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

yeehaaaaaaaa mother f***

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why are people (ambro & Fionn) quoting me for things I never said???
    Read the fupping thread carefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Do the Gardai have to do a special driving course for high speed driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

There is supposed to be an advanced driving course, but NOT all those involved in high-speed chases either a) have undergone such a course or b) are driving/provided with adequate vehicles to contend with such a chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

kbannon wrote:
    Why are people (ambro & Fionn) quoting me for things I never said???

OMG - so I did. Profuse apologies :o

On Hi-Speed course topic, I believe it's compulsory for police officers in UK (relation of mine there just completed his). Whether it's any better than co-ordinating with multiple units & helpfully overhead helo, is a different matter... Still, has to do at least some good when Gardai have no choice BUT to speed.

And I don't think cars themselves have anything to do with it - problem which I'd see is that a Gardai Officer may pick a car from a pool, but it may not always be the same, the handling of which he/she therefore don't know as well when the situation arises. I mean, give any car to a professional driver (e.g. rally or somesuch) and I bet they'll do things with it you never thought possible. It's all about knowing the limits of the car and for that possibly there should be car-specific courses (e.g. take it round a close road, a track... get to know it).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ambro25 wrote:
    OMG - so I did. Profuse apologies :o
    as pennance - give me 1000 reputation points :D

• Advertisement

Tell me how and they're yours! :D

So all Gardai don't undergo a course for high speed driving - for feck sake thats crazy if they have to chase at high speed. A blue uniform doesn't make you a good driver! It's a wonder they don't kill more people, although most of the time they just get themselves killed.

And putting a bad/untrained driver into a better car for the task only makes things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

A garda going round a corner at 90mph is a total tosspot anyway. And most likely the garda doing the driving was on chiefs permission and not trained in the garda driving course because no-one who had done that course would attempt to take a corner like that.

And if he had not done the course then he shouldn't get involved in the chase. As he knows already.

He took his own life and the lives of others into his own stupid hands and he should lose his job imho. Or at least get in SERIOUS crap for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

the cops in cork have a 2L Alfa afiak. one or two. Friend raced it a good while ago in a 2L Primera.

talking to some cops at home based in Dublin, they have 2.5L Mondeo's. Traffic Corp only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

dark_knight_ire unbanned as it seems he was doing he duty.

Its just a pity you sounded like a psycho billy! Next time less adrenelin and more sense please. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote:
    dark_knight_ire unbanned as it seems he was doing he duty.

Its just a pity you sounded like a psycho billy! Next time less adrenelin and more sense please. :)

Mike.

Just in time , He could be stationed in Waterford Mike ;)

To be fair I think any of us walking away from a 90 mph crash would be a bit high on adrenelin. Thats the way I read his first post and was rather surprised to see the replies he was getting but I did remember him saying he was a Garda in the thread I started on speed checks.

Dark Knight I am delighted to hear you and you colleague escaped relatively unscathed from what sounds like a life threatening situation.

In future be careful out there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

IMO it is a bit unprofessional of dark_knight to be posting on the internet about something that happened while he was on duty. Plus if any of his superiors happened to read this thread it would be pretty easy to deduce dark_knight's real identity (as garda cars rolling over at 90 mph is not an everyday occurence)

Of course he may not be a garda at all and the whole story may be BS.

As for Garda drivers I have come across plenty of sh1te ones. One day I was behind an unmarked Mondeo in a line of traffic which was being driven quite erratically (brake lights on every 5 seconds, tailgating, weaving about etc.) It wasn't a chase or anything and he wasn't in a hurry, it just looked like a dozy, inattentive, untrained driver.

In contrast, British police drivers (motorway car ones anyway) are probably some of the best drivers you'd ever come across. They manage to be safe with super awareness, smoothness, anticipation, mechanical sympathy, control etc. and all while pursuing someone at 100+ mph :)

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

most likely the garda doing the driving was on chiefs permission and not trained in the garda driving course

Yes all gardai driving patrol / unmarked cars are supposed to have done the course. In practice most drivers don't do the course. Not that they don't want to but for a variety of reasons, like very limited number of places on course

A garda driving without having done the course, does so with specific consent from his superintendent afaik

I feel this is a disgrace. All gardai drivers should have completed the course before driving unless there is an emergency. The commissioner should be forced to make public in how many incidents an unqualified garda was behind the wheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

A garda going round a corner at 90mph is a total tosspot anyway. And most likely the garda doing the driving was on chiefs permission and not trained in the garda driving course because no-one who had done that course would attempt to take a corner like that.

And if he had not done the course then he shouldn't get involved in the chase. As he knows already.

He took his own life and the lives of others into his own stupid hands and he should lose his job imho. Or at least get in SERIOUS crap for it.

He already stated that he wasn't the driver of the car, and he also stated it was a bend, not some impossibly acute corner. You don't know all the facts, so there's no need to call for the guy to be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Flipped the car at 90mph after taking a bend chasing another car. Both car lost it and are completely totaled.

I think that paints a good enough picture for anyone.

A joyrider will no-doubt make a mistake of going round a heavy bend at 90mph when the vehicle cannot possibly hold the road but a fully trained garda will not. Or at least should not.

The person driving was severely negligent and most likely acting out of his permitted area of duty; if indeed he was only on chiefs permission. He put his own life at risk and the life of "dark_knight_ire" at risk. Accidents happen but involving yourself in a chase when you have no right to and/or taking a severe bend at 90mph in the middle of the day is negligent.

And I am not calling for his job - I'm expressing my opinion. See imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Seamus wrote

So based on this guys 4 line post you've concluded that they were chasing a joyrider, were acting the hero and had failed to co-ordinate with other Gardai - i.e. were just chasing this guy in the hope that he'd crash or they'd hit him and spin him out?

>> Seamus relax, based on that guys 4 line post I agree with clown man,ie: they shouldn't be going 90 chasing anyone . thats all , doesn't matter if they were chasing joyriders or going for donuts.

seamus wrote
    Since I'm guessing that the joyrider bit is a guess since the car was stolen, can you back up the rest of your assertions please?
    there are no assertions, just that 90mph and bend and overturning car = silly , thats it .
    Kbannon / ambro25 - oops i didn't put it down correctly ,soz

Fionn101 wrote:
    Kbannon / ambro25 - oops i didn't put it down correctly ,soz

:confused:

EDIT: Ah OK. Don't worry, no harm no foul. :)

I don't have a problem with Gardai doing 90 to catch joyriders, provided it's in very light (read: nigh-on inexistant) traffic. So they rolled, so what? Dangerous situation = Sh** sometimes happens. Gardai duty = dangerous situations more than often = Sh** will happen, just a question of when.
    Any of you 'disagreers' never had even a small bump?

At the end of the day, the supposedly-joyriders (car thieves at any rate, ergo bad guys whichever way you put it) would have totalled the stolen car anyway and it could have been yours or mine. In this respect, I'd rather have the Long Arm of the Law catch'em at it rather than after weeks or months of detective work (which can therefore be spent investigating something else, like drugs & whatnot), just so I can press charges on the b****ds. Giving assent to law-breaking just because it's dangerous to put a stop to it would have us all bond, blue-eyed and of German mother tongue. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

I agree that the driver of the Garda Car shouldn't have taken the bend at that speed, but sometimes the blood is up and I'd say that he threw caution to the wind - human error. He will be reprimanded for it - he can be guaranteed.

By comparing Gardai to UK police forces is not fair. The gardai have extremely poor training resources compared to the UK - waiting lists a mile long to do even the Standard driving course - nevermind the advanced. And Gardai do not pick a car out of a pool - the vehicle is usually the only one attached to the station, so they've got to make do.

ASFAIK Ford have offered to the Government to build special pursuit cars (with roll bars, reinforced engine blocks and all kinds of bells and whistles built on), such as the cruisers in the US, for a slightly higher fee than standard cars. As usual, the Government decided to shaft them and give them standard vehicles that are used in non-standard duties in an effort to save money. Even the national radio system isn't secure yet for gods sake - anyone can listen in and give out a fake call. :rolleyes: That is the state of out police force my friends, until they get proper funding and proper resource management.

Advertisement