Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer / Gadget Shops in New York

• 18-11-2004 12:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend good computer or gadget stores in Manhattan?

What am I looking for? The long list includes: Digital Camera, Wireless network additions (print servers, cameras) etc. GPS systems etc - in other words, big boys toys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Times Square has loads of shops that sell digital cameras, laptops, portable dvd players, iPods etc. You can't miss them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

It was a good while ago now but I'm thinking Times Sq. has loads but at somewhat highstreet prices unsurprisingly. If you go exploring a bit you'll probably get a better deal. If your their for a while you could order off the web too? And maybe a few of the huge dept. stores will have a decent selection...e.g. Macys and/or Bloomingdales.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thank you.

I am going there in 2 weeks for 4 days. Part of my trip will take me upto Woodbury Common and someone has told me there a few gadget / techie shops there.

I'll be staying 4 blocks from Times Sq so I'll be hitting the shops there.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I would avoid Times Square elec goods shops at all costs. Prices aren't competative and they thrive on a naive tourist market. There are endless storys of punters being ripped off (at best) and pure scammed (at worst) by some of these merchants.

There are a few bigger stores downtown that have a great selection under one roof and much better prices. It's been a year but I'll try to dig out a few names for you.

Woodbury Common is fantastic and well worth a day trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭lynchie

Yeah, stay away from time square unless you are buying keyrings or tshirts! I picked up a nice digital camera on the cheap in J & R's They are quite reasonably priced.

Didn't think Woodbury common had electronics shops? Haven't been there in 4 years, so has it changed much since then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Don't go near the rip-off merchants in times square. I got my digital camera in Willoughby's which is not from from the empire states building. I went for the Casio EX-p600, which I got for 469 dollars and in the shops in dublin is 749 euro!!!!
    http://www.willoughbys.com/
    friendly, and open on a sunday. definitely worth shopping around though. Oh hey, one thing to think about if you're going before xmas, take the manual, cds and cables and post them home to yourself and dump the box. Apparently customs in the airports are going to be checking US flights pretty thoroughly for xmas goodies....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭pete

Dummy wrote:
    I am going there in 2 weeks for 4 days. Part of my trip will take me upto Woodbury Common and someone has told me there a few gadget / techie shops there.

Woodbury Common has a Sony shop and a Sharper Image, but that's about it. There's a KB Toys too, but the rest of it is pretty much all clothes.

The Sony place does some reasonably priced refurbished gear, & the Sharper Image place flogs end of line stuff they can't get rid of in their normal overpriced tat shops. However I did get a Star Wars Rogue Squadron leather bomber / 'varsity' jacket for $20 there.... never worn, and never will be, but c'mon - $20?!?!? The people behind me at the till bought 6 of them....

I've been there twice with the wife & both times we've spent about 10 hours wandering around. You can get some serious bargains. You should remember that it's up the Catskill Mountains, and at this time of year it'll be COLD - wrap up well, oh & bring lip balm or risk ending up with a mouthful of cracked, blistered lips like I did last March. Not pleasant.

Go as early as you can in your trip or you might end up kicking yourself if you buy stuff in other places & you see it there for cheap. Oh and don't bother with the vouchers they'll offer you when you're buying your coach ticket. They're not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thanks for all the info.

Pete - The plan is to get up there as early as possible and we are giving it the day. I was in the Sony outlet store in Castlerock in Denver a few years ago and picked up some excellent bargains.

My wife says thanks for the lip balm advice and it is now in the bag !! (02:16 on Sat morning !!)

Where did you get the coach from to go there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭pete

The Gray Line bus goes from the Port Authority bus terminal. Go for the earliest bus you can, and aim to be there well in advance of the departure time so you can queue for your ticket.

The Gray Line site says they're at the "Ground Level entrance" but i distinctly remember having to go upstairs both times we went.

http://www.graylinenewyork.com/sightseeing.cfm?tour_id=268&mode=tour_detail

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Last two times I've been, they've been on level 3. They have a booth at the PABT where you can buy tickets if my memory serves me well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Gav99

kenmc wrote:
    Apparently customs in the airports are going to be checking US flights pretty thoroughly for xmas goodies....

Speaking of which, if I was to put a bag through the US customs Xray machine with a new boxed digital camera in it, would they sting me for tax if they noticed it?

Any tips on avoiding such penalties? Maybe putting the box, cable etc through in my main luggage and bringing the camera in my hand luggage???

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

this place is cool, it does ipods and some computer accessories (flash memory etc). It has a fantastic range of digital cameras too. Check out the site for opening hours and address. It's runs by jewish people so it closes some weekdays/afternoons as part of their religion. Prices are dirt cheap.

I've just returned from a trip to NYC and the customs guy in dublin airport was practically asleep when we came through. Everyone on the plane had sh*t loads of stuff, I'm surprised the plane could take off. There was a deal on ciggies on the plane 16 Euro for 200 and people were buying them by the tonne.

go with 2 empty suitcases you'll need them.

Advertisement