Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get out of flat by the weekend

Options
  • 18-11-2004 5:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

My friend was happily living in his flat when he suffered an infestation of cockroaches. He reported to the aganecy/landlord and was told that the biulding he was in was going to be renovated shortly and that he would have to move anyway.
    Since everyone was leaving the building he was able to use a vacant flat to put his stuff temporarily and nuke it with bug-killer, so that it would hopefully be safe to bring it to the new place.

Agency found new place, friend moved his stuff, everything seems groovy untill

He finds cockroaches in the new falt :(
    He phoned his agency again and they told him that he has to move out by the weekend :confused:

Am i right in saying that they have no right to do this?
    Obviously no-one want roaches but my friend did everything he could do (with the agency's permission) to get rid of the blighters.

AFAIK thay wouldn't pay to hire an exterminator in the old place because it was going to be gutted.
    But getting him moved out of his new place won't get rid of the cockroaches either.

Any advice in this? what are his rights?
    Isn't it a landlord's responsibility to provide a roach free place?
    I've told him to try threshold but he says he got no answer from them today so I thought I'd ask if anyone had similar experience or advice.
    thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

He is entitled to reasonable notice, typically equal to 4 weeks, however recent legislation increases this for long term tenants (having just moved, he may not be a long term tenant). A lease may say otherwise. The fact there are cockroaches may affect this right - I don't know how, but he might contact www.threshold.ie

There may be public health implications and he should contact the local health board. If nothing else they may be able to help him out with emergency provision if he needs to replace all his clothes, etc.

Tell me, did your friend drag the cockroaches with him? I imagine they can lay eggs on clothing, possessions etc.

Sounds like the first infestation is the landlord's problem, not sure about the second.

Cockroaches are extremely rare in this country.

Buy some geckos to eat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭scoby

certainly seems like they came with him alright. I think that s why he's getting such short shrift.
    Thanks for the advice
    would geckos really work?
    and what would you need to eat the geckos?

hmmm... gecko á l'orange :)

Advertisement