Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post yer AMD 64 overclocks

Options
  • 18-11-2004 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭

Heres my new 3200 winchester Prime 95 stable, not much volts increase

cyrusir-2500.jpg

this good, bad or indifferent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

mines in sig

• Registered Users Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

mine is aircooled love a vapo like urs

dont mind the vcore in the pic, its at +5% which is 1.55 under load i think

I need more Vcore, i tried to do a volt mod, but my mach II cpu kit is covering the chip i need to solder, damn damn damn. Yes i would definitly recommend any phase change kit, though not for beginners, takes a bit of work installing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

mines in sig..piss poor to be honest its not 100% stable...but enough ...ill just hold out for the next beta bios

:rolleyes:

what speed do you actually use it at?? or do u just use your pc unstably?? mine will boot and run at 2.85ghz but prime95 will fail after an hour or 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

err at 2620 it will crash about every..10hrs ..so its not often it matters unless i leave it on over night or at weekend ...

but since it reset itself i havent been bothered to overclock it again, 2.4 for now i just cba to change my sig :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I've only been trying for 1:1 clocks atm as the divider is too much of a killer on performance. This one primed for about 4hrs or so and never went over 52C. Stock cooler and volts. I'm going to have to reformat over the weekend after corrupting windows with my fsb madness because I hadn't gotten around to backing it up. :rolleyes:

I had it stable up to 2.7 with a divider but performance isn't good enough to justify the oc. I didn't try to tighten those ram timings yet either. This thing has potential, no doubts about that though. The ram will do 2.5-4-4-10 280fsb at 2.7V then I killed everything heading towards the magical 300 :D
    I'll get 9x280fsb with 2xHT out of this sucker yet once I push some volts through em! Can't do too much of that on the stock cooler though, anyone want to swap an Asus star ice for an XP120 or similar? Drop me a pm if interested.

Antec Trueblue 480W
    Winchester 3500+
    PQI Turbo 3200 2-2-2-5 1GB kit (platinum)
    MSI K8N neo2 platinum
    Gainward GS 2400 at 400/1100
    Audigy 2 ZS
    2x Seagate Barracuda hdd's 80GB 7200rpm 2MB/8MB cache.
    MSI 52x/32x/52x CDRW
    Plextor P116A rev 2.0 DVD Rom
    result1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I've only been trying for 1:1 clocks atm as the divider is too much of a killer on performance.
    The real killer for performance on a64's in high timings. I get better performance from 260cpu/210 mem at 2-3-2-6 then i do at 260/260 2.5-3-3-10 or whatever it was i used (similar to that there).

O and overclock in sig.

yeah, need to play around with it some more alright. The ram craps out around 213fsb with default timings, I'll have to try for a little 6-3-2-2 action at 220fsb.

TacT wrote:
    I've only been trying for 1:1 clocks atm as the divider is too much of a killer on performance. This one primed for about 4hrs or so and never went over 52C. Stock cooler and volts. I'm going to have to reformat over the weekend after corrupting windows with my fsb madness because I hadn't gotten around to backing it up. :rolleyes:

I had it stable up to 2.7 with a divider but performance isn't good enough to justify the oc. I didn't try to tighten those ram timings yet either. This thing has potential, no doubts about that though. The ram will do 2.5-4-4-10 280fsb at 2.7V then I killed everything heading towards the magical 300 :D
    I'll get 9x280fsb with 2xHT out of this sucker yet once I push some volts through em! Can't do too much of that on the stock cooler though, anyone want to swap an Asus star ice for an XP120 or similar? Drop me a pm if interested.

Antec Trueblue 480W
    Winchester 3500+
    PQI Turbo 3200 2-2-2-5 1GB kit (platinum)
    MSI K8N neo2 platinum
    Gainward GS 2400 at 400/1100
    Audigy 2 ZS
    2x Seagate Barracuda hdd's 80GB 7200rpm 2MB/8MB cache.
    MSI 52x/32x/52x CDRW
    Plextor P116A rev 2.0 DVD Rom
    U should buy an ocz ram booster or do a vmem mod for more voltage to tighten the timings and get more stable speeds on ram

• Advertisement

Well first of all I'm going to get a proper hsf ordered over the weekend to fit next week. I've been reading all about that over at xtremesystems gline and I might be tempted later on. In the meantime it's time for a serious nights sleep after much playing with my toys all bloody night :eek:

These is at 3xHT with a little bit more volts on the cpu and ram at 2.7V. Really need that hsf to push 1.6V on the cpu :D
    Time for bed I reckon!

2.7GHZ.jpg

[edit] BASTID failed prime after a few hours[/edit]

B-K-DzR wrote:
    The real killer for performance on a64's in high timings. I get better performance from 260cpu/210 mem at 2-3-2-6 then i do at 260/260 2.5-3-3-10 or whatever it was i used (similar to that there).

O and overclock in sig.

Dead on B-K-DzR, shockingly enough when I went to benchmark 3d01 I was getting the same/lower scores at 2.6-2.7Ghz with lax timings than I do at stock speeds, I don't get it tbh, the more I fiddle the more I'm thinking - WHERE IS MY DDR600 with 2-2-2-5 timings! :eek:

Then again, some games show improvement -- ut2k4 for example. I had it at 2.65Ghz yesterday with 2.5-3-4-8 with 10x multi and 3xHTT and superpi flies, sandra scores ridiculous 7450/7350 membench scores and 3d01 score is about the same as stock speeds but ut2k4 shows an increase :confused:

The mind boggles, or perhaps I just need some of this stuff here! http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46152

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

31seconds3.JPG

I get 29.9k in 3dmark01 with this setup, so close to 30k. I know I could get it but I'm using the system constantly and only want to bench for a little while. Highest mem is 272fsb 2.5-3-3-8 @ 2.7v, 4x HTT. It's freaky fast :cool:

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

I still haven't got round to overclocking my winchester yet. Posted fine at 2.4Ghz but any sort of overclock at all causes a vpu error with the graphics card. I guess its upping the AGP speed as well. Can't even get it stable a 2.2Ghz at all before the blue screen pops up. Must be something to do with my motherboard.

Nice Civilservant :)
    Azza, did you disable things like aggressive timing and nv/ati speedup by accessing the hidden features in the cell menu by holding shift+f2+alt+f3 -- got an octopus handy? :D

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Negative will give it a try......you reckon that could be it?

Thanks Tact!

Azza- try disabling fast writes on your graphics card. I heard that is a problem with Winchesters and the AV8 mobo.

I did a fair bit of testing with things like fastwrites/aggressive timings and nv/ati speedup enabled/disabled. Much better clocks when they're disabled.
    What bios are you all using? Civilservant, what ram are you running?

I'm using the 1.36beta bios. Works ok, althought I still think the temp readings are a little off. Memory wise I'm using PQI Turbo 2 x 512mb sticks. They come with cool plantinum heatspreaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

somewhat off topic but i ran prime95 recently for the first time in ages. when i came back from work it was still running i.e red in the task bar and i was running the blend test.

however it had only got through about 2-3 tests iirc anyone know whats up with that?

cheers

data

p.s i only just reinstalled prime95 is there something i'm meant to change in settigns perhaps?

edit here's the benchmark file as well if thats of any use to anyone

http://homepage.eircom.net/~davepshanahan/results.txt

• Advertisement

Can you post overclocks with a cpu-z screeny of memory and cpu please folks? Preferably some sandra membench scores, superpi to 1M places and a 3d01se shot too! gpu type and clocks if any applied :)
    I'm trying to figure out the mystery of how to get a good clock here because I've seen so many varying results from different people on different forums depending on how the overclocks are achieved.

I've had such a mixed bag of results overclocking and trying to find a nice balance of performance this new setup and oc'ing the A64 in general. So far the best results I've achieved were at 8x cpu 319HT (3x) and 255 mem at 2.5-3-3-10 1t with 2.7V and 1.55V which produced over 25K 3d01 7400/7400 odd in sandra memory bandwidth test and 32secs superpi with the cpu running at 2.552Ghz. I tried for 2.6Ghz with 260cpu and 210mem with tight timings as per B-K-DzR's suggestion and that was a lot poorer, bringing in around 23.5-8K depending on the clock speed when running 3d01 and got lower sandra memory bandwidth scores combined with slower superpi times.

I tried cpu ranges from 2.5-2.7 with tighter timings and lower cpu multi, higher ht etc etc but that didn't seem great either. I just can't seem to figure out what the best way to clock these is. Then again I could settle for the meagre increase there is for the 23.7K points in 3d01 with the cpu around 2.5/2.6Ghz at tighter timings but it doesn't seem worth it to me for an extra 1000willy waving points and 3-5fps depending on the game I'm playing -- might as well throw everything back to stock for my 22.7K score at default timings. Not much point having it clocked for that tiny increase imho. What do you reckon, any chance of some compare results between your stock settings and your overclocked settings and your impresssions on this?

If you've got a newcastle chip I'd be interested in what way you went about it and the results achieved also. My GT is running at 400/1100 and here is the compare link for that 25K score: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8258585

It's been fun so far :)

[edit]that's an odd one Data[/edit]:confused:

Cpuz%20and%203dmark.JPG

Stock x800xt pe :D

sweet, here's my best 05 so far -- decided to go on a little mission to get 5K http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=316883
    best 01 run has been 25.3K -- http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8258585
    best Aquamark run was 75.1K -- http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1223514790
    Best check on 03, haven't tried it in a while, time to stick the kettle on while that runs..

I reckon you'd pull in around 80+K on Aquamark with that rig CivilServant have you run it yet? I've gone benchmark crazy with the new rig *lol*

Can't top 32secs on Superpi 1M yet either. Currently have mine clocked to 2.65Ghz, load temp running prime is 56C, 3xht @ 265, mem at 220 @ 2.6Vdimm, 1.53Vcore, ram at 2-3-3-10t. 2.75Ghz will be my eventual target for 24/7 use once I get a new cooler fitted. Can get it stable with loads of volts but it gets a bit toasty, hovering around 55-58 during prime loaded with the whiny stock hsf and the case side off, otherwise we're talking 58-60C+ :D

12.4K on 03 but can't submit the score because I haven't applied patch 350.
    Haven't played hl2 yet, I must get around to that :o
    03%20bench%20result%20new%20rig.jpg

Ok i think i got some of my benchmarks up, i have windows XP 64bit ones and win xp 32bit ones up and my 3dmark 2003 score, try this link to view them, u need to click view full-sized image , the 64 bit ones have win xp 64 bit logo in the botom right

http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/glines_pc_page/Images/

let me know if the link works or not,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Sweet score civil servant, and that's stock speed on the x800 :eek:

BloodBath

Advertisement