Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic broadband q

• 18-11-2004 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

I'm thinking of signing up for the ESAT free trial.

I know that broadband is a fatter pipe but do I still need to connect to an ISP to access the internet.

Does 'always on' mean that the connection is always available and I don't need to make a connection to access the internet.

Coming from the dial-up world so it's not obvious to me how this works.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

Broadband is just a higher frequency signal over your ordinary telephone line. Where the telephone line enters your house you plug in a filter. This filters out the high frequency to phones and other non-ASDL equipment. The higher frequency signal goes to your ASDL modem/router.

Yes - you still need an ISP - in your case ESAT/BT will be your ISP

As long as your modem/router is connected and your PC is on you will have an access to the internet without the process of waiting for a dial-up connection - however the access is not always instant - this depends on the contention ratio (how many people are using the same line from the exchange to your ISP at the time you are).

Always-On means the connection between your modem/router and your ISP (through your exhange) is always live - just the same as if you had dialled up and never disconnected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Advertisement