Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband - what's it like?

• 18-11-2004 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Just wondering from other users experiences, is NTL Broadband a good option - never had broadband in my house before and have been offered the 3 month free trial.

Anyone know of the pros and cons of this offer, and what exactly they will install in my house.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I switched from ADSL with netsource to NTL cable and went for the 1.5mb option. Now I think ADSL 512 is slow in comparison. Normal D/L is at 160-170 kbs.

A couple of times it has gotten congested but 99% it's fast. Looking forward to getting 3MB.

I can't think of any reason for choosing anything else over NTL. Some people reckon that the cable connection being shared will get congested but my experience shows thisnot to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

Exactly the same as jimmycrackcorm.
    Went from netsource to NTL and haven't had a single problem yet.
    On the 1.5 MBps package and the speed is incredible.
    Downloaded HL2 on Steam last night without any problems.
    I was one of the first NTL BB users in Tallaght 4 years ago and it's still installed in my parents house and works like a charm. There were a few outages in the early days, but nothing in a long long long time.

NTL's customer support can be a nightmare to deal with, that's the only caveat.
    It can take ages to get through to someone, but once you're through I've generally found the tech guys to be very good and they seem to know their stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Apart from Support NTL BB is the dogs bollix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Total newbie question but what hardware is involved.

I know they give you the cable modem, but what else do they need to do when setting it up?

I have an existing phone line with eircom, would it be fed through that or by some other means?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Doesnt use phone lines it uses their cable network, it will involve them installinga cable access point in your house and it running from there

• Advertisement
Advertisement