Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford North Quays

Options
1525354555658»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

doubt many will park on the north quays and use the new bridge to get to shops etc….especially in the winter months when the quays north or south are Baltic…..

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭muzakfan

Unfortunately I have said this before, I hoped against hope it wouldn't be so, but it's closer to reality now than ever before:

The North Quays or at least the largest rump of it is going to end up as large scale social housing. You can see the slow inevitable slide from commercial/retail to maybe some offices mixed use residential to mostly residential.

Who is realistically going to buy apartments in Waterford at scale in a scaled down to the point of failure development? The council will, that's who. What a shameful waste of opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭914

This may or may not happen, it will depend on a few factors. SETU and the airport.

If government are serious about Waterford and adequately fund SETU establishing Waterford as it's driver then this will lead to spin out companies, increased R&D.

If the government support the airport this will help with attracting FDI, office and finance jobs, a young well paid workforce.

Both the above could lead to wanting an attractive apartment over looking the Suit and City Quays.

Will the government deliver on the two points above? It's not looking likely!

Frisby have revised his plans for extra office space in the building on the crystal site so he must be confident or have companies lined up to full the office space as he never does something without reason.

You would also like to think Harcourt would be the same, they would have with market/economists and see the office block as viable.

If we all sit back and put our realistic caps on for one moment. In the current economic climate if we were to rip up Harcourts what would we genuinely see working there?

People might say a large retail development, I think that would actually be detrimental to the current city centre. McDonagh Junction has caused a similar issue in KK, people go to McDonagh Junction, shop eat and leave.

Large hotel, already in the plans. Most likely to be the biggest in Waterford (based on rooms).

Living space, already in the plans. Possibly to much initially but I don't envision all the apartment blocks being built in one go.

Offices, already in the plans. Working from home policies, how many office based jobs can we attract, hence one office building.

Large music venue, this would be great but again would depend on airport for large acts, not sure what the return on building such a building would be as how often would you have large sell out crowds.

SETU school, this would be a big advantage as it could mean having 2-3k people based there for the majority of the year

Maritime museum, we may well see this in future plans.

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Flow Motion

Agreed the WCCC will have to develop it coz nobody else seems bothered. The roads over in Ferrybank DC are a complete mess @ present. And have been that way since last August. Very little progress or a plan in returning it to a functioning entrance to the City. A really piecemeal effort TBH. At times its resembled a game of chess what with cones moving etc. Even more annoying given the fact other than a train station the bulk of the rest of the NQs site will be vacant for an extended period. Apparently Abbey Rd's gonna be closed for a couple of months which means a long detour for the 2,000+ ppl living out that way. Enough is enough. Tried contacting WCCC but no response. Only interested in circulating NQ's update newsletters every quarter. Absolute BS

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭azimuth17

There is constat large scale work in progress on the site regardless of what you say. Planning permission has been applied for. A silly post, which wants everything done now. Neither life or business is like that.

Post edited by azimuth17 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

It looks like they could have turned a lot more of the dual carriageway back to two lanes if they really wanted to but couldn't be bothered as it might inconvenience them slightly. The works at the block of council flats really slowing traffic down as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Valhalla90

The train station looks quite tall and it’s only two floors. The apartment blocks are going to look tall as the site is elevated compared to the south side. Planning should be granted end of next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dum_Dum_2

Why should it get planning permission when it runs contrary to the Development Plan?

Again I ask:
    Point out exactly which part signifies a gateway?
    If the River wasn't there what would be removed?
    Help me find the landmark elements, I can't find any.

I’m not a huge fan of elements of it either. But I like the scale of the apartments. They messed up with the hotel big time so I wouldn’t mind if changes were sought in regard to that. Totally against the car parks which I hope the council will not entertain and refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dum_Dum_2

How about the developers get the landmark elements done first and move the flats onto the 'later on' pile? That's what you would do if you wanted to get everyone on board.

• Advertisement

Well there’s no landmark elements to start first with. But phase 2 & 3 need to be more iconic for sure.

Get off that high horse of yours buddy. Try commuting that side of town 2/3 times a day for past year. A year to fix/re-align a bit of road (one of the main arteries into the "city")?? Would not happen if it were on Dunmore Road suburbs. Keep dreaming of what's not gonna appear on the docks. The arrogance of youth or the keyboard warrior?

No one ever said it would be easy to do 200m Euro worth of infrastructure without upsetting people in Ferrybank.

Get a grip.

And it happened for months in Williamstown at the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭muzakfan

What "landmark elements". At least when the local Lyle Lanley was about he was selling a big doomed to failure dream. This is as tame and lacking in ambition as it gets.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If Dunmore road was going to have 200m of dev including the relocation of a train station, building of a bridge etc then yes it very much would have traffic delays, Major traffic delays.

Just pure curiosity, what is your definition of a gateway?

Also what iconic structures would you put in place?

Finally how would you focus it more on the waterfront.

I'm honestly not being cheeky here, just curious as to what people would place there instead of the current plans, baring in mind we have yet to see what phase 2 and 3 might become so we'll keep it based on phase 1.

just saw on Wlrfm site news of the new council CEO……a lad poached from kk council can’t recall his name but hardly ideal…..will he be able to rid himself of his waterford prejudices….would love to know how d’s guys are selected…..has the appearance of an old boys club……could this appointment be disastrous for the city and county and the NQ’s project..? Time will tell as usual

He's actually from Armagh and living in Clonmel if I am not mistaken and held the CEO position in KK council. I don't think there is any Waterford V KK in this regard and any talk of that is nonsense and childish.

The job was advertised and anyone was entitled to apply so not sure I buy into jobs for the boys either.

Lar Power is the new CEO of Kilkenny county council who was part of Waterford council for 13 years and chief executive for almost 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Think it is the opposite, word is he has great experience and will be a great asset to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,355 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

🤣 🤣 🤣 ..

Paranoid (delusional) much ??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its clear as day that you have a chip on your shoulder about Kilkenny and anyone who you perceive (incorrectly) to be from it 🤣

Its fairly paranoid to think that somebody who got the job would intentionally not do a good job just to stick it to Waterford because they are "from" Kilkenny in your eyes, its really next level stuff and not a normal way to view people.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

I think he's actually a really good catch for WCCC, seems he has good experience and a lot of ambition for Waterford

Definitely paranoid and perhaps bordering on the insane tbh. Wfd-KK is not exactly North+South Korea! What will probably be disastrous for the NQ's and what has been for the years is Government policy. Designating a parcel of land SDZ and talk of the NPF Ireland 2040 is just simple PR. Sign of the times in the modern world where perception is valued more than results. At the moment it all has a feel of "give them a new train station and realign a few roads" and they'll be happy. If its left to the WCCC to actually develop the site than it will take decades. Over past 5 years Al Hokair and Harcourt have stalled most probably out of the growing realistaion that Waterford is too small for such a vision or that it does not make financial sense to develop it.

Having driven along the site route daily for the past year I think its fair to say progress is rather slow and ponderous. For past few months all work of the pedestrian bridge has ceased. Its supposed to be open in 2025 which seems a bit optimistic now. As a comparasion the N25 by-pass and second bridge was completed ahead of schedule in just over 3 years. And there was a hell of a lot of work to do on that project compared to the NQ's. Its bizarre coz almost all the NQ site/river frontage was empty and vacant pre-construction - you'd think a clear site would be like a blank canvas?

The bridge is being constructed abroad though and will be shipped over right? So once all the ground work is done, the bridge is put in place and then some work around tieing it all together

Time will tell, would love to know where some posters are getting their information on the new CEO and that he has great things planned for the County/City etc……….anyone care to provide a source?

God you're determined to knock it. Are you another one of those border lurkers, hoping for the worst? There are so many holes in your spiel that its hardly worthwhile answering them. One developer delayed and didn't come up with the cash. So what? The second has submitted planning more or less in accordance with what most people expected. Its not even granted and you are knocking it. Most likely that Harcourt will not commence any work, regardless of your impatience, until all public realm work is delivered by BAM. Harcourt will want full control of the site they intend to develop.

I certainly dont think that progress has been slow and "ponderous". What do you want, magic tricks? The bridge is being built off site and progress is being made all along river frontage including very large waste water works and flood control, new railway station, relaying of tracks, new bridge and so on.

Your posts are at the very least, unfair.

Definitely not someone living or from Waterford. Another border troll!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭JohnC.

"For past few months all work of the pedestrian bridge has ceased."

Where on earth is this coming from? They're working there all the time.

I do not know how good or bad he will be, but I pointed that that he is actually from Armagh, living in Clonmel so your claim about bias towards KK over Waterford is unfounded.

For years we hear the usual people who generally toe the line of "the town is gone to the dogs boi" are the same people who look at Kilkenny and said "it's some spot boi", "I drove to KK to shop as it's easier than heading into town"

Surely some of that positive impact in Kilkenny has been the responsibility of their CEO, soon to be Waterford's CEO?

• Advertisement
Advertisement