Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dexpat wrote:
    I've always been convinced by Rob Cass's and the developers bona fides in wanting to provide a development beneficial to Waterford and the region, as well as to obviously make a profit. There is nothing wrong with profit. It's what makes things happen. However it seems from an outsiders perspective that they want all risk removed before committing. That's not realistic.

There's profits, then there's PROFITS, yes businesses need to make a few quid, but when that means crushing others into oblivion in order to hit targets, there's a point when such projects are lethal. Risk certainly is a funny one, there always needs to be a balance in it, but at the moment, as it stands, there's too much risk in the public domain, but I do think this can be altered, to benefit all. Developers have already made a nice few quid out of this , even when nothing actually exists, such as the world of finance goes, that's something else that needs to be addressed, asap
    Motivator wrote:
    This crowd have their reason for pulling out of this thing now and it’s an incredibly valid one. I can’t see this happening at all and it’s a shame because Waterford and the south east as a whole badly, badly needs it.

What's the credible reason? I still think this could go ahead

Dexpat wrote:
    That would be a nightmare alright. I thought that it was to facilitate development of the north quays regardless. The new bridge would link the New Ross greenway with the extended Waterford greenway up along the Quay. The site would be very valuable designated as an SDZ with full planning. I suppose the way the governmnet finances are now it would be a handy excuse not to provide it.

If the government defaults to panicking over the deficit post covid , which is very likely to, it won't be just Waterford in trouble, we have to stop this nonsense of thinking budgets must be balanced, this is well shown to be nonsense now, in fact its dangerous. Government spending is critical under such conditions, it stimulates economic activities and growth, while the private sector tries to deal with the trauma, and to get back on its feet

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    There's profits, then there's PROFITS, yes businesses need to make a few quid, but when that means crushing others into oblivion in order to hit targets, there's a point when such projects are lethal. Risk certainly is a funny one, there always needs to be a balance in it, but at the moment, as it stands, there's too much risk in the public domain, but I do think this can be altered, to benefit all. Developers have already made a nice few quid out of this , even when nothing actually exists, such as the world of finance goes, that's something else that needs to be addressed, asap

What's the credible reason? I still think this could go ahead

The most credible reason is the fact Cass has been mute for along time on the development and before he went quiet he basically said they want a FULL university before committing, he also mentioned covid as an excuse. Would be amazed if this went ahead under current plans. Its clear as day what Cass was doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Deiseen

tbayers wrote: »
    The most credible reason is the fact Cass has been mute for along time on the development and before he went quiet he basically said they want a FULL university before committing, he also mentioned covid as an excuse. Would be amazed if this went ahead under current plans. Its clear as day what Cass was doing

Cass's comments have been less than encouraging for sure BUT he never said that the entire development was dependent on a full university. Only that a company that wanted to set up in the offices wanted a full university.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I also wouldn't underestimate difficulties in obtaining building materials at the moment. Prices going up from anything to 5-20% apparently, and that's got to really hurt your prospects of getting a worthwhile return on investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Deiseen wrote: »
    Cass's comments have been less than encouraging for sure BUT he never said that the entire development was dependent on a full university. Only that a company that wanted to set up in the offices wanted a full university.

I don't have time to check his every tweet but he pretty much said it. If covid is the reason he should just come out and say it, rather than this tip toeing around the issue. I am a huge backer of this btw and was always of the belief it would be completed. But, again, given his total lack of discussion on the issue by himself, that hope is long gone.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

A little bit of further information on what has happened, and what will happen regardless if Falcon are involved or not,

To date, the council have invested over €20m on the project. That's with or without Falcon. There are developers lining up to develop on the land. It's SDZ. Planning is assured. They've come this far with falcon, but they have others waiting in the wings. They're spending the money on the development because no matter what happens...they will be building on that land. The only thing that needs to be determined is who will be developing it.

The council's funding was for the infrastructure. They're going to plough ahead with that. One of the main objectors was the chap who owned the Top Garage land. Council told him they'd give him X amount if he withdrew his objection. He agreed. They didn't pay him so he took them to the High Court. June 8th is the date for resolution on that. That will determine how much extra the Council will have to pay him. And after that, they'll plough on with what they need to do. It probably makes more sense to do all that when they (developers, whoever they may be) are simultaneously developing on the land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That's bad form by the council, hardly sets a good precedent for other land owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

tbayers wrote: »

I agree with what Deiseen said. It was never said that Falcons interest in the north quays depends on a full university. I heard Cass say once there was a company interested in office space if there was a full university that is all.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    A little bit of further information on what has happened, and what will happen regardless if Falcon are involved or not,

To date, the council have invested over €20m on the project. That's with or without Falcon. There are developers lining up to develop on the land. It's SDZ. Planning is assured. They've come this far with falcon, but they have others waiting in the wings. They're spending the money on the development because no matter what happens...they will be building on that land. The only thing that needs to be determined is who will be developing it.

The council's funding was for the infrastructure. They're going to plough ahead with that. One of the main objectors was the chap who owned the Top Garage land. Council told him they'd give him X amount if he withdrew his objection. He agreed. They didn't pay him so he took them to the High Court. June 8th is the date for resolution on that. That will determine how much extra the Council will have to pay him. And after that, they'll plough on with what they need to do. It probably makes more sense to do all that when they (developers, whoever they may be) are simultaneously developing on the land.

Where did this come from?

Makes sense though. The only reason to push the 15th May deadline is if there are other developers waiting to jump in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

BBM77 wrote: »
    Where did this come from?

Makes sense though. The only reason to push the 15th May deadline is if there are other developers waiting to jump in.

A tip off ;)

are falcon building other properties in waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭914

Aquos76 wrote: »
    A tip off ;)

I have also heard this. But are those developers looking to develop to the same scale or would it be scaled down and need to go through more planning and designs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We're doomed if this project is pulled

PTH2009 wrote: »
    We're doomed if this project is pulled

seems like the council is still in, so at least we ll get something moving, the infrastructure alone will be a great

seems like the council is still in, so at least we ll get something moving, the infrastructure alone will be a great

Yeah we need to rid of that eyesore someway

ah its more than just that, this infrastructure should encourage further developments and industries into the region, its all good

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I've felt from the beginning that properly attaching Ferrybank to the city centre is the big win here so absolutely would agree infrastructure completely trumps the very changeable office/residential/retail/whatever space. Like if we could get the bridge and transport hub I wouldn't be too fussed about the rest, rest could be done somewhat piecemeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

mayordenis wrote: »
    I've felt from the beginning that properly attaching Ferrybank to the city centre is the big win here so absolutely would agree infrastructure completely trumps the very changeable office/residential/retail/whatever space. Like if we could get the bridge and transport hub I wouldn't be too fussed about the rest, rest could be done somewhat piecemeal.

The bridge and transport hub are included in the Waterford City & County Council Infrastructure Works scope.

mayordenis wrote: »

Yes, even if Falcon pulls out, which I doubt they will but who knows, just getting the infrastructure, bridge and train station done would be a huge step forward and makes the redevelopment of the site inevitable.

• Advertisement

Which eyesore?

Which eyesore?

Ferrybank.

Just needs a lick of light blue/grey paint and a lot of trees in big pots. Hardly see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Any news?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Muttley79

Any news?
    https://twitter.com/WaterfordNS/status/1391830649418493959?s=19
    Not looking good on falcon side of things.our rob hasn't mentioned nothing in months about it his to busy picking fights with the government on his Twitter account.

Muttley79 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/WaterfordNS/status/1391830649418493959?s=19
    Not looking good on falcon side of things.our rob hasn't mentioned nothing in months about it his to busy picking fights with the government on his Twitter account.

Deise Today is going to be fun, expect a few of our wonderful TDs to go into hiding and refuse to be interviewed for the show

Remember DT played 'Days like these' last year when the plans were announced by god i feel sick thinking back now esp with all our politicians calling in beaming about all the good work they done

Deise Today is going to be fun, expect a few of our wonderful TDs to go into hiding and refuse to be interviewed for the show

Remember DT played 'Days like these' last year when the plans were announced by god i feel sick thinking back now esp with all our politicians calling in beaming about all the good work they done

Perhaps the Falcon Group will come on and confirm the current status, and their future intentions.

Significant support from the Council and Government Departments, over to Falcon now to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

hardybuck wrote: »
    Perhaps the Falcon Group will come on and confirm the current status, and their future intentions.

Significant support from the Council and Government Departments, over to Falcon now to deliver.

Apparently Falcon have joined forces with Elon musk and are concentrating their efforts on sending a group to Mars..?

Muttley79 wrote:

Typical free market libertarian, constantly slating governments, and only complementing them when citizens stump up the money for their own benefit, I'd imagine falcon have made a nice tidy few quid from the speculation alone. I'd say the kitchen is getting too hot for them, as the revolt against investment funds grows, be wary of the libertarians, they generally have ulterior motives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Muttley79

Typical free market libertarian, constantly slating governments, and only complementing them when citizens stump up the money for their own benefit, I'd imagine falcon have made a nice tidy few quid from the speculation alone. I'd say the kitchen is getting too hot for them, as the revolt against investment funds grows, be wary of the libertarians, they generally have ulterior motives

This could turn out our very own Lyle lanley(monorail) forgot to put the money where his mouth is!!
    However it does say that American investors are very interested in it also

Advertisement