Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reputation system abuse...

Options
  • 18-11-2004 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hello,

Two users just gave me bad reputation because of this post -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2092112&postcount=81

One of the bad reps is because I asked why was I given a bad rep!!

As you can see, I was agreeing with what someone said and was not being in any way strange/abusive/whatever.

This is totally ridiculous.

Can I have these bad reps removed please?

In my opinion, the reputation system is a bad idea. It simply gives people a chance to take out their frustrations on other people. I don't think it is (generally) used constructivily.

Thanks. :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

It happens all the time....I was given a Bad rep because I was telling people not to speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 NZAI

Wow, I just got another bad reputation point for posting this topic.

This is my point exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Have some more neg rep for starting this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

There ye are. I gave you some more neg rep for this thread. Cop on!

edit: woohoo, I pushed you back to red! I have the powah!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Stop posting crap and people won't give you negative rep....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

heehee i put him back in the green, this is fun ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Not for long az.
    Tekkit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

afraid i put him into the red too.....sorry nzai.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

NZAI wrote:
    Wow, I just got another bad reputation point for posting this

lol
    I just gave you 31 points of neg rep for bringing this up for a second time!
    :D

I suggest you start another thread on it in a weeks time - I should have spread enough pos rep around to be able to neg rep you again by then....
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

NZAI wrote:
    One of the bad reps is because I asked why was I given a bad rep!!
    Actually, you can be pretty sure that bad rep is because of the way you phrased your "question", the one I subsequently edited.
    Can I have these bad reps removed please?

In my opinion, the reputation system is a bad idea. It simply gives people a chance to take out their frustrations on other people. I don't think it is (generally) used constructivily.
    The reputation system is a great idea. It separates those who care from those who don't.

Funnily enough, if you are receiving bad rep, and don't know why, there are two possible reasons:
    1) You are so intolerant/rude/abusive/arrogant/illiterate/irritating in your posts that you don't even realise it, so bad rep helps highlight to you, your poor style of posting, and therefore hopefully encourages you to change it.
    2) A group of people have organised surreptitiously to bad rep you at every turn.

Now, *I* know which one it is in your case, but if you don't then my idealism is lost.

There is only one rule; Starting a thread about bad rep, or posting in a thread about bad rep, will incur bad rep from some people. That's just the way they are. They like to give bad rep.
    That means I'm here sticking my rep on the line to bring you this helpful message. I hope it finds you well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hehe, put him back in the grey from red :)

Beruthiel wrote:
    lol
    I just gave you 31 points of neg rep for bringing this up for a second time!
    :D

I suggest you start another thread on it in a weeks time - I should have spread enough pos rep around to be able to neg rep you again by then....
    ;)

I've never brought this up before... I think you're confusing me with someone else...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭loz_the_boz

Sad cretins and your rep issues - like it really effects people emotionally or something !

very sad..

Water off a giraffe's back NZAI, water off a giraffe's back.

Trojan wrote:
    Hehe, put him back in the grey from red :)

ferfeckssake Al!! :mad:

Sad cretins and your rep issues - like it really effects people emotionally or something !

very sad..

I read a really good article recently about human behaviour in discussion forums/chat rooms.

To summarise: the ones who were the "bravest"/most aggressive were the ones who had the lowest self esteem and lack of authority in their lives.

Says a lot about the reputation system!

NZAI wrote:
    I've never brought this up before... I think you're confusing me with someone else...

highly possible
    but my suggestion is still worth considering ;)

NZAI wrote:
    ITo summarise: the ones who were the "bravest"/most aggressive were the ones who had the lowest self esteem and lack of authority in their lives

well I'm here to tell you - that's a load of twaddle :rolleyes:

with the possible eception of Az of course... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

and now he's back to green :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Beruthiel wrote:
    well I'm here to tell you - that's a load of twaddle :rolleyes:

with the possible eception of Az of course... :D
    HEY! **sniffles**

*marks Ber off the dry humping list*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

NZAI wrote:
    To summarise: the ones who were the "bravest"/most aggressive were the ones who had the lowest self esteem and lack of authority in their lives.

What's the reputation system got to do with bravado and aggression?

Have you a link to this article?

NZAI wrote:
    I read a really good article recently about human behaviour in discussion forums/chat rooms.

Yes. That's correct. Therefore when I can give you rep again I'm going to give you bad rep. It'll make me feel big.

seamus wrote:
    What's the reputation system got to do with bravado and aggression?

Have you a link to this article?

It was in a magazine (for the law community regarding online legalities - it's called "Outlaw" I think?)

I think there are strong links between the article and the reputation system.

Why else would people want to use it? Do you think these people act like this in "real life"? It's the whole hiding behind a computer thing. I think it's pretty obvious...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

NZAI wrote:
    It was in a magazine (for the law community regarding online legalities - it's called "Outlaw" I think?)

Why else would people want to use it? Do you think these people act like this in "real life"? It's the whole hiding behind a computer thing. I think it's pretty obvious...

I use the rep system to make up for my small willy.... :eek:

azezil wrote:
    *marks Ber off the dry humping list*

you just well and truly broke my heart there Az, I shall drink myself to death over this you know

on your head be it....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭loz_the_boz

We should just drop the rep system and all have a big fight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

yeah like instead of a boards beers we can have a boards wrestlemania to settle differences :o)

You have to remember being green is apparently the best thing in the world!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

NZAI wrote:

Then why are you complaining about it if....you don't care.

• Advertisement

Papa Smut wrote:
    You have to remember being green is apparently the best thing in the world!! :D

not according to Kermie....

It's not that easy bein' green;
    Having to spend each day the color of the leaves.
    When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold-
    or something much more colorful like that.

It's not easy bein' green.
    It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things.
    And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water- or stars in the sky.

But green's the color of Spring.
    And green can be cool and friendly-like.
    And green can be big like an ocean, or important like a mountain, or tall like a tree.

When green is all there is to be
    It could make you wonder why, but why wonder why? Wonder,
    I am green and it'll do fine, it's beautiful!
    And I think it's what I want to be.

Advertisement