Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mp3s continued

Options
  • 26-04-2000 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

Lucutus, there is nothing wrong with posting url's for mp3 searchers here imo (i don't obviously run the boards) . There are thousands of legitimate mp3s to download out there (i got aimee manns new single the other day).
    It's different if someone wants an illegal mp3 and someone else gives them an address of where it is, but to close a thread of someone just looking for search engines is a bit much.

On a different note, far too much press has been given to mp3's. just concentrate on finding good music on any format and you'll be alright in the end .

harVey

[This message has been edited by harVee (edited 26-04-2000).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

/me apologises for asking bout dodgy stuff, b4 my post is used as a further example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

lol, Alright FB...I see your point, as I have a room full of CD's and tapes etc too, *if* I was to download mp3's, with the intention to buy, I wouldn't feel a shread of guilt either.

However, if anyone replys to the request for ftp Mp3 sitez, please ensure via rigorous browsing that it's full original, free distribution, legitimate mp3's.

I don't know the legal implications for mp3's under copyright to be distributed either via direct links or links to ftp archives on this website, hence I'll close down and/or delete threads which hold links to copyrighted illegal mp3 searchs/ftp sitez/http sites.

Better safe than in court.

;D

Lucutus of Borg

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

To be fair to Lucutus, I did make it clear that I didnt want linkz to warez on these boards.

Where do you draw the line?
    We all know MP3's are vastly used to break copywright. (Please spare me the "legitimate distribution" fairytale. It's true but its also a drop in the ocean).

However, I fully support freedom of speech and I dont see any reason why a link from here to a *search engine* would be out of line.

Any search engine link posted should be a genuine search engine and not my-leet-mp3zzzz.com.

Links to ftp sites are dodgy as I draw the line there (considering we produce copywrited software here I wouldnt want anyone ripping off my stuff...)

Theres a bigger debate as to the MP3's leading to CD purchases and frankly I dont have a lot of sympathy for the big music people but let that evolve naturally rather then illegally...

Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Harvee, How many ftp mp3 sites are dedicated to original, free distribution, legitimate mp3's?

The post was for ftp sites, not legitimate mp3 search engines.

Paladin, tis alright, no need to apoligise really, we all make mistakes, I just don't want this board to descend into the realms of an illegal mp3 trading board. I'm sure every reasonable person who reads this will understand that?

thanks

Lucutus of Borg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

I don't think there's anything wrong with giving links to mp3 sites provided there isn't a link directly from here to the sites etc... I'm not entirely sure about this though and of course there's always the issue of the morality of it. I've massive collection of cds, tapes and albums probably loads from every label imaginable so I feel no guilt at grabbing a couple of tunes for a while to check them out - if i like them enough I'll buy the cd or whatever but hey....thats just the kinda guy I am.

Anyone got any good mp3 ftp sites?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

I agree with you DeVore, it was the "Search Engines" i was on about though, not actual FTP sites.
    Was just being pedantic anyway.
    And robbing is robbing, whether it is from a poor little four piece in Arkansas, or a some faceless suit in Tokyo.
    And this conversation is more interesting than going on about how pink floyd are the best band in the world ever...
    harVey

Advertisement