Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Credit Card Payments

Options
  • 18-11-2004 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone else was having problems with missing credit card payments to MBNA. My payments have gone missing for the last three months, although they have been sent from my bank account. My bank says MBNA has them and MBNA says my bank should do a Full Bank Trace, which my bank is unwilling to do, as they say this happens all the time. So, stalemate. Has this happened to anyone else and what was their solution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

My experience, and anecdotal evidence, of MBNAs way of doing business would lead me to the conclusion that the "error" is at their end. There's an independent money advice bureau now, isn't there? I'd be looking for someone like that to ask advice if your bank aren't willing to help you (you should consider offering to close all your accounts to expedite their assistance).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

i be more inclined to threaten MBNA and do NOT accept and extra interest due to late payments. Once this is sorted out close the account MBNA are useless.... steer well clear. They have been offering me a platnum credit card since i was 12 i mean hello any one there once i applied they laughed as expected and then they send me more stuff. anyway point is ive never heard good of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Id go along with your comments here,i personally have had trouble with MBNA in the past,unfortunately im stuck with them for the forseeable future as ive a large balance on my card........ :(
    i be more inclined to threaten MBNA and do NOT accept and extra interest due to late payments. Once this is sorted out close the account MBNA are useless.... steer well clear. They have been offering me a platnum credit card since i was 12 i mean hello any one there once i applied they laughed as expected and then they send me more stuff. anyway point is ive never heard good of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Believe it or not, but in nearly six years with MBNA I've never had any trouble, and I'd even go do far as to say they're the best company I've had to deal with.

I'd recommend you contact MBNA again Tazz and get tell them your bank are refusing the bank trace because this is a regular occurence with MBNA payments. Ask them to contact the bank themselves, as you've done your bit at this stage. I presume you have bank statements to back up your claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

My MBNA experiences are the opposite of therecklessones, I wouldn't recommend them to anybody.

jonny68: look into the possibility of clearing your MBNA with a bank loan, and pay it off that way - much cheaper in terms of interest & no MBNA hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Use a phone with conferencing facility to get both of them on the phone at the same time and let them sort it out directly with each other while you listen in for laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

jonny68 wrote:
    Id go along with your comments here,i personally have had trouble with MBNA in the past,unfortunately im stuck with them for the forseeable future as ive a large balance on my card........ :(

Why don't you transfer just part of your balance onto the new card? NIB offer 14.9% rates on standard cards and 0% interest free transfers for first 5 months.

BOI are offering a 0% deal also.

Then gradually pay off the rest over a period of time by which time the new card provider will probably have given you the same credit limit.

As far as I can see all the companies at the moment are dramatically increasing limits even for customers with dire credit histories. Shouldn't be any problem finding a new provider. Ok, you'll pay the tax twice, but if you pay more than 30 a month on interest and charges you'll end up saving it and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I have several cards and do transfers from time to time to avoid paying interest charges. It's common practice in the UK where ppl can have 15 or so cards and never pay any interest.

Unfortunately the uncompetitive credit card levy prevents us taking something back from the CC companies here.

I'm currently considering moving the balance from my MBNA card to Tesco for 0% for six months, and closing down my MBNA account, but I'm worried that the 300 currently lost at MBNA may never resurface if I do so.

I have asked the banks to talk to each other and both say the other won't co-operate. So all I have been able to do is write a letter to my bank demaning a 'full bank trace' of the payment, so I can demonstrate to MBNA that they have the money. If they refuse, I'm getting rid of both NIB and MBNA and taking the dispute to the Ombardsman. I'll let ya all know what happens.

In the meantime, I'm hoping for the CC levy to be abolished in a couple of weeks time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Tazz T wrote:
    In the meantime, I'm hoping for the CC levy to be abolished in a couple of weeks time.
    Don't hold your breath. The best that I'd hope for is a change in the rules so you don't get hit twice for the tax when you switch your card to a different provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Pataman

Tazz T wrote:
    I have several cards and do transfers from time to time to avoid paying interest charges. It's common practice in the UK where ppl can have 15 or so cards and never pay any interest.
    :eek: :eek: several cards? big balance! not good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

You should get your Bank to set up a "Beneficiary Claims non-receipt" file. They will then execute the trace, and the funds should then be found quite easily, and applied to your Credit Card.

Advertisement