Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running a website - what should I know?

Options
  • 18-11-2004 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭

I am in the process of starting a commercial website.

While I intend using a professional(s) to build and run the site, I would like to be reasonably conversant with what is going on and what they are talking about.

I am fairly computer literate and what I don't know I pick up with relative ease.

What do I need to know?

Where can I learn what I should know online?

Any recommendations for part-time or evening courses in the Dublin area?

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Depends what languages and tools are going to be used to develop the site. There's loads of different ones. Macromedia Dreamweaver is a good HTML wizard, with lots of other features. It's the best general purpose web-design tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

windows server 2003
    Visual studio .Net 2003
    Sql Server 2000

Or
    Being cheap

Unix/Windows server
    Tomcat
    Java
    MySql/Postgresql

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks guys.

The site will be almost entirely text based and will consist of downloadable documentation.

Indeed, the documentation is one of the key issues for me or, more specifically, the way in which it is viewed.

I want my site visitors to be able to fill in the documentation online and then print it off - or at least I want them to have that option.

With this in mind, I have looked at various possibilities. With Adobe Reader, those happy to use a pen can simply print it off. The problem is with those who want to complete online. The two options I am looking at are Word and www.hotdocs.co.uk

Word is used by most people and I understand that Microsoft won't charge for posting documentation in Word format.

HotDocs requires the user to download their reader (as with Adobe) so that the files can be manipulated. Since very few sites use HotDocs, it is unlikely that the user would have any use for the program anywhere except on my site. So, I'm not sure if it's a good idea. But, if it had added benefits......

I wrote to HotDocs and asked them why I should use their product, for a fee, instead of Word. This was their reply:

"Why use HotDocs ® when I can automate documents with Macros?

Rapid document automation and maintenance

HotDocs has an intuitive development interface, which allows documents to be automated quickly, without any knowledge of VBA or programming. Documents are automated within the word processor, which handles all document formatting, so there is no need for template developers to learn new formatting methods. Once automated, HotDocs templates can be easily maintained, without having to alter complex macro code.

HotDocs saves document drafting time and improves accurac

yHotDocs templates can be linked to existing databases, without programming, to pre-load a document template with accurate information, instantly. Data inputted during a document assembly session can be saved and re-used when assembling another document, avoiding re-keying of data. Developers can automate more of the document with HotDocs –computations, verb tenses, gender references, dates and numbers and more can all be formatted accurately and automatically in the document without having to write and maintain complex macros. HotDocs can also validate data entered by the end-user, ensuring complete accuracy in assembled documents.

User friendly

y Logical structures can be created to dynamically re-structure the process of document assembly based on previous answers, allowing a level of user-friendliness difficult and costly to achieve with macros. The template author can organise data input in a logical order that gives an efficient workflow – which might vary every time a document is assembled.

Desktop stability

Word processors are stable in ‘normal ’ environments. When loaded with internal programming such as macros, stability problems can arise. Such problems can reduce the productivity of end-users. Desktop HotDocs is a highly stable application, which can be installed and used without any of the stability problems that can occur with complex macro-based templates.

Publish content online

With HotDocs Online, HotDocs templates can be used from a web browser, and no HotDocs software is required on the desktop.

De-skilling and interactive help

Online and offline help resources can aid preparation of documents by unskilled operatives who are guided through the process. Document authors can either turn to archived intelligence and research for judgment calls or be prompted automatically with input from an intranet or extranet.

Knowledge database

An invaluable repository of special instructions, language, unique clauses or terms can be built within the templates. Template prompts let users know when to include these special inputs. Using standard clauses in this way ensures complete consistency and accuracy in drafted documents. Standard clause text can be maintained independently of the main templates, to allow quick and easy maintenance.

Integration

HotDocs ’ open COM API allows rapid integration with other systems, including databases, document management and workflow systems."

Obviously, a case of, they would say that wouldn't they?! But, any comments appreciated.

Thanks.

D.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

From what I understand of your description you want to have a website where people can download a form and either print it, fill it in and post it back or else complete it in a word processor and email it back ?

If you're going to be hiring professionals to create this site then you can easily avoid the hassles of either. They can create forms on the website that users can fill in there and then. Just like any web sites that you have to register to use (including this one) you can have a form that asks users questions which can have typed text answers, multiple choice or yes/no depending on what your needs are. The results of this form can then either be stored in a database or emailed to you (or both if that's what you want) to do with what you please. If you choose to store their personal information in a database their are some laws relevant to that but mainly they just mean you can't sell on or publish someones personall details without their permission. Whoever you hire to do the site will have a decent enough idea of them.

This way you're not relying on paying license fees to anyone else and you don't have to worry about your users having microsoft word/hotdocs installed, everything runs through your site, nice and easy.

Steven,

Everything you write is correct. However, I neglected to mention one important point: some of the documents would be third-party documents, not created by me. I will merely be hosting them at a single access point.

Secondly, most of the documents will need to be signed once completed, to comply with certain legal requirements. This will necessitate printing them first and then posting them. It will be possible to submit others by email.

So, my problem is to decide whether to go with Word/Adobe, a program such as HotDocs, or a third party?

Apologies for any confusion caused.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If the website is to be professionaly designed and developed then whom ever you hire to do the work will help you with these descisions and will point you in the best direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

windows server 2003
    Visual studio .Net 2003
    Sql Server 2000

Or
    Being cheap

Unix/Windows server
    Tomcat
    Java
    MySql/Postgresql

windows server 2003
    Visual studio .Net 2003
    Sql Server 2000

Or
    Being cheaper
    more secure
    more reliable

Unix/Windows server
    Tomcat
    Java
    MySql/Postgresql

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Can I suggest you take a look at the opening an EBS 'On Demand Account' at www.ebs.ie
    This takes users info, and makes it into a pdf on the spot that they can then print off, filled in. Examples are always handy for web designers so they can get EXACTLY what you want.

Here's the full url: http://ww2.ebs.ie/site/all/Demand+Accounts?Opendocument

Then just click on 'Online Calculator' and work from there

snapscan,

Many thanks for that. The EBS example is well designed and very easy to use. I have bookmarked it for future reference.

The bulk of my data will still be third party though, which I will not be able to alter. Therefore, I will have to make it accessible in a standard form (Word, Adobe Reader, etc..). That's my biggest decision.

I note that many of the government's websites now present data in both Word and Adobe form. None that I have seen uses HotDocs, or any other software for that matter.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Even for people who don't have word can download a free viewer. They can't edit the form, but they can view it. See www.microsoft.com for details

• Advertisement

snapscan,

"Even for people who don't have word....."

About 1% of the computer-using population, I'd say! ;-)

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Why is this not in the webmaster forum? Make more sense than here.

Its almost impossible to secure word documents. Adobe PDF has much stronger security if you want to protect them from editing. You can script macros or program either. Word has more automation possible. Personally I prefer word, everyone has it and is happy using it. PDF's are bigger, slower and more awkward. But sometime PDF is the only way (publishing to CYMK for example). Depends on your needs.

You'd use HOTDOCs if you wanted to pay to get it all prebuilt for you. Assuming it does what you want.

If you're not going to build this yourself. The contractors who bid for the work should tell you all you need to know. Theres a lot to learn. I don't even see the point in going down to the level of what server softwate you should use. The contractors will include that in their proposals.

As an aside I have popups blocked and the EDS site couldn't handle that at all.

"Why is this not in the webmaster forum? Make more sense than here."

You may be right, but my original question was in reference to learning about the technical end and where I might go to further that aim. Rightly or wrongly, I thought that this forum was the most relevant.

On the issue of popups, I too have popups blocked (XP Pro SP2) and the EBS site works fine.

Many thanks for the input.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Yes but its about the technical end of building, hosting and mangaing a website. Not a programming question as such. I just thought you'd get more feedback there. Or even in the business forum.

The EBS site works for me now might not have liked my Acrobat install. So I've reinstalled that and now it works. Odd that it didn't check that first. Ah well.

Advertisement