Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD - no where to be seen

Options
  • 18-11-2004 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

todays indo carries the following story

TWO Irish universities have made it into the top 200 universities in the world, according to the most comprehensive rankings to date.

The two are Trinity College Dublin, which was in 87th place, and Queen's University Belfast, which was 185th. The seven other universities on the island did not feature, even though they all aspire to be among the best in the world.

The World University Rankings used a number of measures including an unprecedented survey of 1,300 academics in 88 countries, spanning the academic disciplines.

A total of 20pc of the score was based on the university's research impact; 20pc was based on the staff to student ratio; 5pc on the ability to attract overseas students; and 5pc on attracting top academics.

so are we just crap? the judging system brutal and what do we need to do to improve?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

remove the arts faculty? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

who cares??
    I sure as hell don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

yea can't say i give a toss either to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Since when is Trinity College Irish? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sakic

Who cares? Ireland was voted by the Economist today to be the best place to live in the world, now that is cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

sakic wrote:
    Who cares? Ireland was voted by the Economist today to be the best place to live in the world, now that is cool.

That's rubbish!! the budget is coming up and they want people to kinda forget about it so they can hike taxs or whatever. My theory anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

There was an interesting article in the Tribune today about how Irish people can't take compliments properly, and thats why a lot of them are giving out about the economist article. Said article went on to point out that we have it better off than 90% of the worlds population, and so should stop whinging about traffic and health, and be happy (their words not mine!). It's an interesting discussion - whether or not we're happier now than we were in the 80's. People look back with and say it was a better quality of life than, but at the same time it's fairly easy to sugarcoat the past.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

(craic) intersection (Hugh Brady) = The Null Set

i.e. happiness/fun/craic and Hugh Brady can't coexist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

brady is a joke, i hope you will all be visiting his house on campus tomorrow (wed) in your spotswear so we can use his new private gym paid for with college money.

as for that study about the best colleges, it was all done buy looking at numbers and statistics they did not actually determine which were the 'best colleges, just the best on paper, in terms of wealth and student achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭HeyYou

The nethods to compile the table were a bit simplistic alright, things like Nobel Prize nominations were weighted very heavily so places with strong research facilities did very well (Harvard, MIT, etc.).

Incidentally, in this week's Observer there's an article about a debating competition that happened in Cork over the weekend. Three of the four teams in the final were from UCD; the fourth team graduated from UCD last year. No Trinity teams even made the semis. It seems were good at that, at least.

• Advertisement
Advertisement