Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unknown Process in TaskManager

• 18-11-2004 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

Two processes "wuuopppw.exe" and "wpppouuw.exe" are visible in my Task Manager. A google search yields no results. Has anyone encountered these guys before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Try looking 'em up with this instead of task manager:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Run a virus scan in safemode and also a spyware scan.

several of them run processes with randomly generated names.

Also, you could check hklm/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run and see if anyhting untoward is listed in the registry (note: be very careful when poking about in the registry, and always back up a key before removing it, just in case).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Some viruses used to rename themselves with random names...

do a search for files or Regedit to find out what folder they are in or what loads them

If you had FAT32 you could boot up with a DOS disk and rename them and see what happens and rename back again. NTFS means this simple fix is unavailable, I hate recovery console, sometimes you can rename stuff in it.

start - run - msconfig (or is that only in Pro ?) - can also browse to see where they are loaded. - choose diagnostic startup and see if they load,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Cheers everyone. I'll leave F-secure run overnight and see if anything shows up

Advertisement