Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floor Tiles onto Wood

• 18-11-2004 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to be tiling the upstairs bathroom this weekend and had a question for ... anyone in the know :)

Upstairs we have glen pine wood flooring, not particularly hard wood. Do I need to lay down plywood over this and tile to the plywood ?

I've been told to do this but one said 5mm plywood and another said 15mm !
    Anybody knoe what thickness of wood(plywood?) I should lay down first?

Help much appreciated :)

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

You should probably lay Marine Plywood under the tiles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

HI
    6mm ply is good and screw it every 100mm i know it is a lot off work but when it is finished you will have a job for life also use the right adhesive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Carpenter wrote:
    HI
    6mm ply is good and screw it every 100mm i know it is a lot off work but when it is finished you will have a job for life also use the right adhesive
    ditto that.

However, when I was laying tiles on my bathroom, I pulled out the floor boards. They were 22mm thick.
    I then got 12mm ply, and with the adhesive and tiles making up the other 10mm, the floor height remained the same. That way the wc and whb pedastel went back in on top of the tiles and it looked a more professional finish. It took a few hrs to pull out the wood, but overall the job took about the same length as I didn't have to cut for tiles around the wc and pedastel.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    ditto that.

However, when I was laying tiles on my bathroom, I pulled out the floor boards. They were 22mm thick.
    I then got 12mm ply, and with the adhesive and tiles making up the other 10mm, the floor height remained the same. That way the wc and whb pedastel went back in on top of the tiles and it looked a more professional finish. It took a few hrs to pull out the wood, but overall the job took about the same length as I didn't have to cut for tiles around the wc and pedastel.
    Hi
    Are you telling me all you have under the tiles is 12mm off plywood

Carpenter wrote:
    Hi
    Are you telling me all you have under the tiles is 12mm off plywood
    ya

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote:
    ya
    The tiles will crack in 3-4 weeks sorry for the bad news 12mm is not enough under them the 22mm boards and 6mm ply would have being right sorry bud

Carpenter wrote:
    The tiles will crack in 3-4 weeks sorry for the bad news 12mm is not enough under them the 22mm boards and 6mm ply would have being right sorry bud
    Don't be sorry, they're down over a year now and no signs of cracking. I'm not jumping up & down on them like a chimpanzee

Good u are 1 lucky man bye

Advertisement