Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

what is ntsc????

• 19-11-2004 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭

I know its a stupid quesstion but I've bought two dvds recently ie killinaskully and planxty live in vicar st. the problem i have is that when I play them back on my sony dvd player they come out in black and white and NTSC comes up on the display.....In my laptop they're perfect I've tried it on my playstation and I get the same problem.

oh yeah both dvds were bought in ireland

Anyone any ideas?????

regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.dtvforum.info/lofiversion/index.php/t528.html

NTSC The industry name for these letters is Never Twice Same Colour.
    The problem of NTSC is that phase errors causes a change in hue. This means that faces can go green etc. In addition ghosted images also change hue. Their saturation ie pale or strong is unaffected. This problem is so bad that a lot of sets have a circuit, which detects the phase, and if it is within a certain tolerance it makes the hue that of skin! The relative speed of a video head across a tape can also affect the hue as well. Since equipment is a bit better now, the hue can change depending on how bright the image is!
    PAL is colloquially called Peace At Last.
    The Americans considered a version of PAL but rejected it because of the price of a delay line. Mr Bruch of Handover in Germany developed the PAL system using a glass delay line of one line. These have become so cheap now it is not a consideration in the price of a set.
    SECAM known as Something Essentially Contrary to the American Method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

ok I know what it is but now how do i solve it? It gets a bit awkward looking at it on a 15" laptop screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You can't unless you buy a multi region DVD player.

John.... Although it could be a problem with the Cabling.... what connections do you use to connect the dvd player to your tv, AFAIK you can get black and white errors from S-vhs cables.... Highly unlikely in this case, but I thought I'd mention it.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,251 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You need to get a TV that will accept NTSC signals, most modern ones will or get a DVD player that will convert NTSC signal to PAL. Maybe your Sony will do that, have you checked the manual? Is your Sony multi-region?

The DVDs you bought sound as if they are pirates because no Region 2 DVDs will be NTSC, they will be PAL.

• Advertisement

no both dvd were bought in xtra vision and I dont think they are in the habit of selling pirate dvd's... I played it on a cheap dvd player that I had at home and both were fine. I'll have to get my sony checked out...

Xtravision sell NTSC DVDs... Now I am surprised. Are these Region 2, 0 or 1?

region free

If they still do not view properly, you can bring them back and get a refund as Xtravision are selling a product not designed for the Irish market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Xtravision are selling a product not designed for the Irish market.

Eh how do you make that out? There are quite a number of NTSC region 2 DVDs available because most modern televisions can handle NTSC by switching to PAL at 60Hz. I collect WWE DVDs and a lot of their earlier releases were Region 2 NTSC as well.

More than likely it's a cabling issue, John, are you using a SCART cable or composite? Composite is usually 3 wires, yellow for video and white and red for audio. I'd try it with a SCART cable first before flinging it back at them. :)

VR!

• Advertisement

(National Television Standards Committee) Standard broadcast signal received by televisions in the United States. All television broadcasts in the United States must meet this standard. If a device is designed for NTSC, it will most likely not work with other television standards such as PAL, which is the standard broadcast signal used in Europe. However, there are certain types of equipment that support both standards.
    (Phase Alternation Line) Standard broadcast signal received by Televisions in many European countries. The main difference between NTSC, the television standard used in the United States, and PAL is that NTSC delivers 525 lines of resolution at 60 half-frames per second, whereas PAL delivers 625 lines at 50 half-frames per second.

If a person buys a Region 2 DVD and it will not play in on their TV properly (because it is not modern enough), they can bring it back to the retailer and get a refund because NTSC is not designed for Irish TV systems. It will not be fit for purpose for people who do not own a dual standard TV. Are you expecting people to buy a modern TV so that they can watch R2 DVDs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

You could try a computer programme on the laptop called "DVD Region Free" which would allow you to output it to the TV. Least you wouldn't have to watch the DVDs on the laptop screen.

Failing that, multi-region players are quite cheap these days. Some regular players can also become multi-region through remote hacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

bazH wrote:
    and look at the sixth hit down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

NTSC-never the same colour

PAL-pictures always lovely

SECAM...can't remmeber that one

accordning to my notes the differnet tv systems used.. different frame scanning malalrky

Advertisement