Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Evil Dead Remake

• 19-11-2004 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭

... and it's not even going to be directed by Sam Raimi.
    Someone needs to explain to me exactly what the s&#it is going on here.
    "Spider-Man 2" director Sam Raimi and original producing partners Rob Tapert and Bruce Campbell are reteaming to produce a remake of the cult hit "The Evil Dead" through Ghost House Pictures, the joint venture of Raimi, Tapert and Senator Intl.

Raimi wrote, directed and produced the 1981 "Dead," which tells of five twentysomething friends holed up in a remote cabin who discover a Book of the Dead. When an archaeologist's taped translation of the text and its incantations is replayed, the youths unwittingly summon dormant demons that possess them.

Raimi will not direct the remake, so Ghost House is looking for a helmer to reinvent the franchise before a script is written.

Original pic spawned subsequent installments "Evil Dead II" and "Army of Darkness."

"Dead" will be fully financed by Senator Intl., which will hold worldwide rights to pic. Exec VP of motion pictures Nathan Kahane will oversee the pic for Senator.

" 'The Evil Dead' is such a special film to Sam, Rob, Bruce and horror fans that we are going to take great care in renewing this franchise," said Joe Drake, Senator Intl. prexy. "By keeping its original formula intact and given audiences' appetite for horror, we expect that we'll have a real hit on our hands."

Pic follows Ghost House's first horror release, "The Grudge," which has grossed more than $100 million worldwide to date.

Senator and Ghost House are developing a sequel to "Grudge."

Other upcoming pics include "Dibbuk Box" from the Pang brothers; "Scarecrow"; "30 Days of Night," in partnership with Columbia; and "Boogeyman," to be released by Screen Gems in February."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

Hey man, WTF?
    This is going to end badly. You all know it will...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Bass.exe wrote:
    This is going to end badly. You all know it will...

exactly

there is no chance of this one of touching the original ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, heard bout this earlier on from ComingSoon.net..

Terrible, terrible idea!

Sam Raimi's not directing it... Bruce 'The King' Campbell hasn't shown any interest in it..

They'll destroy a classic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I was absolutely positive once I clicked the thread there'd be some funny picture, and obeygiant saying "HA! Gotcha!" just to rile me up.

I don't know what to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Leave it alone!

What will we get?,,,a PG13 rated film! No gore,No tree rape scene,No nothing!

I am surprised Raimi is this desperate for cash! He should be ashamed of himself!

X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

While talking about remakes... who the **** ever called for this abortion to be brought into the light of day!?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Evil Dead remake? Why? No why? No seriously why? No really why? If Ash isn't in it what's the point? Bad Raimi bad! No biscuit! frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Who cares, the first film is rubbish. It's the second and third films that are good.

The remake will probably be an improvement.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

This is even more baffling when you think that Evil Dead 2 was to an extent a remake of the original film anyway. Gah. Someone hit Sam Raimi for me, between this and the suggested "Freddy Vs Jason Vs Ash" thing I'm starting to wonder what, exactly, is going on in his head....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

While talking about remakes... who the **** ever called for this abortion to be brought into the light of day!?

Trivia: Forest Whitaker was the original director of the film, but left the project over creative differences.

Yeah......

You know the remake is going to be bad news if Campbell isn't interested. The man will star in anything.*

* Please note, I am a big Bruce Campbell fan but the man has no shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

One of my favourite things about Bruce Campbell's autobiography is the matter-of-fact way in which he defends (or rather, explains) his rather patchy track record. He refers to himself as a "working stiff" actor, with bills to pay and a life to live outside acting. He explains it all so well that you actually feel stupid for ever criticising the guy for appearing in, say, Terminal Invasion.

But this pramatism works the other way too: I'm sure he'd realise that, pushing 50, he'd be useless in the lead role of a remake of the Evil Dead.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

ObeyGiant wrote:
    He refers to himself as a "working stiff" actor, with bills to pay and a life to live outside acting.
    Isn't this deNiro's current excuse as welll?

Have to say that I just got endeared to the guy from his work on Hercules/Xena. Does his biography mention anything of his work on that or his, fairly amusing, "Jack of All Trades"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

ixoy wrote:

Have to say that I just got endeared to the guy from his work on Hercules/Xena. Does his biography mention anything of his work on that or his, fairly amusing, "Jack of All Trades"?

Yeah I love the bio (though the post sept 11th stuff is laid on a bit thick) He goes into detail about Xena et all, and why he loves NZ, and directing stuff.

It's a really good, blue collar actor kind of book (he gets so thrilled at his blink and you'll miss it part in Hudsucker Proxy, working on a "real big budget hollywood film") Well worth a look.

ixoy wrote:
    I think De Niro's excuse is more along the lines of "I'm so rich, I never have to answer to anyone ever again." Otherwise known as the John Carpenter excuse.
    ixoy wrote:
    It doesn't really touch on Jack of All Trades too much, because I think that had just started when he was finishing up the book. But he speaks very fondly about Hercules and his adventures with Kevin Sorbo. He also goes into a lot of detail about the Adventures of Brisco County Jnr, still my favourite TV show of all time.

mycroft wrote:
    Yeah I love the bio (though the post sept 11th stuff is laid on a bit thick)
    I got the pre-9/11 edition (hardcover == hardcore). Is there much new stuff in the revised edition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i cry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

SACRILIGIOUS

What are they thinking? Dude... leave the classics alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭weerez

Who cares, the first film is rubbish. It's the second and third films that are good.

The remake will probably be an improvement.

While the 2nd and 3rd films are much better, the first is still a good horror film.

Bruce Campbell will be involved according to empireonline.co.uk but they don't know if he will be acting.

Seriously, they already remade it an a way with Evil Dead2.
    JUST MAKE A SEQUEL.

I thought Sam Raimi would have more sense than this (he recently stopped the Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash film) but I guess I was wrong

More...

"Anyway, Senator International is doing the new series of "Evil Dead" movies. And nope, Bruce Campbell - besides a cameo I assume - isn't going to playing Ash. Not sure whether that's the financing parties decision or Raimi's. Guessing the suits made the call. One name being thrown about for the part of Ash is a guy named Justin Theroux from "Charlies Angels: Full Throttle" and "Mulholland Drive". Will be interesting to see how the fans take to him and the new start in general"

Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Calm down,It is all rumor's and lie's!

A cool market research tool to see who would watch the thing.

Sam is to busy to do it anyway,

30 Days of Night (2004) (in production) (executive producer) (producer)I'm so looking forward to this one!

Boogeyman (2005) (completed) (producer)
    Scarecrow (2006) (announced) (producer)
    Dibbuk Box (2006) (announced) (producer)

X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Just a rumour? Thank f^ck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Xcom2 wrote:
    Sam is to busy to do it anyway..

.. Boogeyman (2005) (completed) (producer)..

Saw the trailer for this film today... dear God, it looks terrible!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Make the bad men stop :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Evil Dead ... with proper actors and proper special effects, could be so much better than the original. I'd certainly watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Proper actors and special effects could ruin it. I just hope they stoick with Bruce Campbell for the lead.

Kazujo wrote:
    Proper actors and special effects could ruin it. I just hope they stoick with Bruce Campbell for the lead.

Not at all, lets face it the shonky effects in the original didn't do anything to add to the viewing pleasure, that's not why it has a fan base.

And no way would Bruce Campbell be in the lead, unless it was an actual evil dead sequel, which it isn't ... maybe a cameo.

No, decent production values, proper actors, a bit of a rewrite in the script, maybe tone the violence down a little, could be one of the best films in the next few years (if it actually gets made).

It might make a great movie but I wont be the evil dead.

Leave it be it's a classic it dosen't need a remake. Then new people will see the new one and probably dismiss the old ones. They should just re release maybe a little re-mastering to clean up sound and picture quality but that's it.

People used to say Dawn of the Dead was a classic, but it's not a patch on the remake.

And lets face it, Raimi pretty much remade Evil Dead with Evil Dead II anyway.

True Evil Dead two was pretty m,uch a remake of Evil Dead and yes it was better. BUT it was done with the same effects same production team and lead.

He simply tweaked the story a little and it worked, current film makers can be very heavey handed with remakes and they can ruin the franchise for people who have not seen the originals.

If they insist on using the franchise I think they might be better off doing something new and original with it.

• Advertisement

Kazujo wrote:
    If they insist on using the franchise I think they might be better off doing something new and original with it.

You never know ... they just might.

Somebody used "the thing" as an example of a remake in the "assault on precinct 13" thread, saying it was a remake of another film ("the thing from another world" I think), and the two films are not very similar at all, "the thing" is in fact completly different to the original, so you never know how remakes are going to turn out, this may just be the breath of fresh air to get the franchise going again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Whoever gets cast as Ash will have a tough job ahead of them...and god help the actor if they make a balls of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Cactus Col wrote:
    People used to say Dawn of the Dead was a classic, but it's not a patch on the remake.

And lets face it, Raimi pretty much remade Evil Dead with Evil Dead II anyway.

What? what? What? the remake is better than the original!!!! are you joking????

bombidol wrote:
    What? what? What? the remake is better than the original!!!! are you joking????

Totally serious ... the origanal was so slow and plodding, as boring a movie as I've seen in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Cactus Col wrote:
    Not at all, lets face it the shonky effects in the original didn't do anything to add to the viewing pleasure, that's not why it has a fan base.

And no way would Bruce Campbell be in the lead, unless it was an actual evil dead sequel, which it isn't ... maybe a cameo.

No, decent production values, proper actors, a bit of a rewrite in the script, maybe tone the violence down a little, could be one of the best films in the next few years (if it actually gets made).

Are u for Fckin real? .... tone down the violence .. proper actors .. have u any idea what made the film as popular as it is?

Advertisement