Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

worst charity record - before band aid 20

• 19-11-2004 3:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

OK, first and foremost before it starts. I have no wish to, and inor am i, dissing the obvious thought and sentiment behind charity records. BUT, there has been an awful lot of crap been released on vinyl and cd in the name of charity, BandAid20 being the latest.

What is the worst charity record that you have heard.

Personally, i have to go with the Bananarama release of Help for Comic Relief.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

"Love Can Build a Bridge"

Cher, Chrissie Hynde, Neneh Cherry and Eric Clapton

Truly horrendous, what the hell Hynde and Clapton were doing sullying their names with such pap was, and still is, a complete mystery to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Sleepy wrote:
    "Love Can Build a Bridge"

Cher, Chrissie Hynde, Neneh Cherry and Eric Clapton

Truly horrendous, what the hell Hynde and Clapton were doing sullying their names with such pap was, and still is, a complete mystery to me.

Clapton did it because hes an asshole. Completely over rated as a guitarist, slow hand, pure ****e more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Clapton did it because hes an asshole

Second that. With the exception of the deadly 'Disraeli Gears' big hair years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 maxcherry

Jimmy White[snooker player] holds the record here. The sales of his single Minted topped GBP16.50p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Christina Noble is releasing a version of the fields of Athanry with the Irish Rugby team..........

You have been warned

Fly you fools!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Can't say I agree with your opinion of him as an asshole, the guy wrote Layla, Wonderful Tonight and some other great songs so he's ok by me. But then, I've never met him so I can't really say if he's a dick either. Doubt you're qualified to say so either BolBill.

You may reckon he's over-rated as a guitarist but there'd be a few million who'd disagree with you. Great guitar playing isn't just about one hundred note solo wánkery...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

anything westlife were involved in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

"The Craig" from BB1 released an xmas charity single,lets just say (and i want to choose my words carefully here) that he was the most not un-retarded person in the video...i'll say no more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Speaking of Big Brother-related singles... have ya seen/heard Nadia's debut single *shudder*

I think Craig's is worse though... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

I think that one out a while back for AIDS and 9/11, the cover of What's going on was particularly bad for all the hype it got. The problem with charity records is half the people on it are nobodies and most of the songs are lame covers that are so hyped up that when you finally hear them you're like "Who the f*ck is this and why in the name of bright blue balls are they b*ggering up this song?"
    Well that's what I think anyway....

• Advertisement

I think that one out a while back for AIDS and 9/11, the cover of What's going on

I was actually trying to remember what song they covered for that one yesterday when I saw the Band Aid 20 video. I actually think 'What's Going On' was more accomplished & listenable that the amatuer-sounding Band Aid 20 which is downright PAINFUL to listen to.
    The rap bit is particularly cringe-y, and the 'harmonising' is laughable but seriously, could Madonna BE any more annoying & pretentious & self-righteous in that opening speech. The single is DIRE, but goddam she annoys me a lot more than the single itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

How about Ferry Aid in 1987? They did a version of 'Let It Be' for the Zeebrugge disaster fund. Terrible, terrible stuff. A Stock, Aitken and Waterman production.

http://beatleshelp.topcities.com/collabo/let.html

TCamen wrote:
    could Madonna BE any more annoying & pretentious & self-righteous in that opening speech. The single is DIRE, but goddam she annoys me a lot more than the single itself.
    Yeah me too, why doesn't she go put her hand in her own pocket, little miss ninety euro for a ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    Yeah me too, why doesn't she go put her hand in her own pocket, little miss ninety euro for a ticket.

LOL

anyhoo, That bloody stonking song that came out for Comic Relief.

makes me think of her comments about israel. "I wasn't going to to come here but now that I have I can see that it is no more dangerous than New York."

New York must be a right **** hole

Uh oh, my intense dislike for Madonna threatens to derail the topic. Seriously, bet she hasn't given a cent to Band Aid, and she has the cheek to get on and lecture other people, ARGH She is so fúcking hypocritical and I HATE HER!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

"The Craig" from BB1 released an xmas charity single,lets just say (and i want to choose my words carefully here) that he was the most not un-retarded person in the video...i'll say no more

Yeah I'd have voted for this one too. Awful stuff.
    TCamen wrote:
    Speaking of Big Brother-related singles... have ya seen/heard Nadia's debut single *shudder*
    I think Craig's is worse though... :cool:

Didn't even know there was such a thing until now! It isn't a cover of 'the langer' by any chance?

Didn't even know there was such a thing until now! It isn't a cover of 'the langer' by any chance?

Sadly it's an original song I *think*, at least it's sh1te enough to be a Nadia original ;) It's called 'A Little Bit Of Action'
    e.g of lyrics-- " oh la la la(panting) Gimme a little bit of action, gimme a little bit of class, gimme some sass... show me what I want, a piece of asss"... something along those lines anyway :rolleyes:

Somehow she manages to sound like she has even less of a grasp of the English language than I previously thought she had, and she makes The Cheeky Girls look positively restrained in the fame whore stakes. All the same, it's in the top 10 most requested videos on most of the digital music channels.. go figure :rolleyes:

If anyone wants to see this wonderful video follow the link....
    TOTP Videos :cool:

oh, and the link will give ya the new Cheeky Girls video...the song being a weird re-working of that 80s song 'Boys Boys Boys' *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

'its such a perfect day'

i hate it x3

pianoman was worse and by far the worst was that one by that wan whose name I can't remember, "you ARE my WONDERFUL thing" lame. Boyzone's "When the going gets tough" and Westsh*te "Uptown girl" are desperate too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    pianoman was worse and by far the worst was that one by that wan whose name I can't remember, "you ARE my WONDERFUL thing" lame. Boyzone's "When the going gets tough" and Westsh*te "Uptown girl" are desperate too.

Yeah westlife really need to take a bow taking a Billy Joel song and making it sound even more trite.

Not a charity song but Moescha and some gimp recording a version of "another day in paradise" a few years back, which once again before a phenomenal feat of making the original Phil Collins version seem heartfelt and meaningful.

Incidently I've seen the Christina Noble Irish rugby team fields of Athenry video again. The whole thing is on par with the kind of video/song teams used to bring out before the FA cup in the 80s (back when it meant something) It is truly horrendous. You have all been warned.

• Advertisement

mycroft wrote:

Not a charity song but Moescha and some gimp recording a version of "another day in paradise" a few years back, which once again before a phenomenal feat of making the original Phil Collins version seem heartfelt and meaningful.

Twas her brother, me and a cousin used "hock-spit" along to the beat. twas funny

Advertisement