Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boarding a Dárt or train rant

• 19-11-2004 9:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭

When getting on a train or Dárt, why do people insist on crowding around the doors instead of letting the people trying to get off, actually get off first. It really does my head in! If I'm first in the queue to get on a Dárt or train, I always try hold everybody back & make a kinda alley so people can get off first, it makes the most sense I think.
    Anyone disagree with me? Its just common courtesy and basic manners IMO

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Same with buses, esp the single decker ones.

Often times I've seen a bus go by my stop and not stopping for me because there is loads of people standing around the drivers cab, so the driver thinks its full. But the entire back standing area is completly empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,411 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Dárt?

I thought DART stood for Dublin Area Rapid Transit

I usually walk staight through the crowd if they are crowding around the exit. It is common courtesy to allow passengers off first and give them free passage but some people are just plain ignorant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

Dárt?

I thought DART stood for Dublin Area Rapid Transit

I usually walk staight through the crowd if they are crowding around the exit. It is common courtesy to allow passengers off first and give them free passage but some people are just plain ignorant.
    ]I thought DART stood for Dublin Area Random Transport

I like your style though A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

fletch wrote:
    When getting on a train or Dárt, why do people insist on crowding around the doors instead of letting the people trying to get off, actually get off first?
    Because people are badly trained. One solution, particularly for the DART, would be to have a prerecorded message state over and over "Please stand aside and allow passengers to exit the train". A few staff on the platform to reiterate that might help. The more people got used to that message, the more would come to expect that behaviour, and help to facilitate it. Training, that's all it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Yoda wrote:
    Because people are badly trained. One solution, particularly for the DART, would be to have a prerecorded message state over and over "Please stand aside and allow passengers to exit the train". A few staff on the platform to reiterate that might help. The more people got used to that message, the more would come to expect that behaviour, and help to facilitate it. Training, that's all it is.

Indeed training but would it help?

I remember one evening getting off a peak-hour southbound DART at Pearse. The doors had barly opened, I was getting off and I was swamped by people getting on. A few angry shouts of "let people off first" just met with blank stares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Yeah this absolutely does my head in, why don’t people understand that people have to get off first so that there is room to get on. It really bugs me step aside and let people off instead
    they rush the door pushing you back onto the DART. They’d push you down the gap and use your head as the platform if they could bastads …….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

worse than that are the morons who refuse to move down the aisles and instead loiter at the doors. some mornings you have to shout at them to try and get them to move their asses. even the driver's requests rarely gets them moving... pepper spray might work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

the solution is to walk straight and walk strong....i'm not small so if people get in my way i have no hesitation in walking thru them if they are blocking my exit from a train....it's pretty ignorant (on my part) thing to do but then i find it ignorant to not give me some common courtesey and make it difficult for me to leave a train comfortably...

landser wrote:
    worse than that are the morons who refuse to move down the aisles and instead loiter at the doors. some mornings you have to shout at them to try and get them to move their asses. even the driver's requests rarely gets them moving... pepper spray might work

Your not alone - its the same on the Green line LUAS as well (and I suspect everywhere else). The amount of times I have fought me way through a crowd by the door to then come to acres of space down the middle of the carriage is unbelievable!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

landser wrote:
    worse than that are the morons who refuse to move down the aisles and instead loiter at the doors.
    Indeed. When I get on a busy train in the morning I have to push past these morons to get into the aisles to enable as many people as possible to board the train. Gits.

• Advertisement

enterprise wrote:
    Indeed training but would it help?
    It couldn't hurt. It takes time for some people to learn, but Irish people aren't really all that rude and ignorant.

Yoda wrote:
    It couldn't hurt. It takes time for some people to learn, but Irish people aren't really all that rude and ignorant.

I do wonder sometimes! But your right - until its tried we won't know!

I wa son the Luas this morning packed as always. Two (fairly) eldery ladies got on and being the gentleman I am, offered my seat up. However I nearly had to boot the guy in the opposite seat to give up his!! :mad: Manners have truly gone out the window into an on-coming tunnel....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

bah ill probably get some angry responses for this but i find it a lot worse when getting off on the southbound side of pearse and tara than anywhere else.

its all them posh gets used to there big 4x4s if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭dabhal

dont get me started on the F^%ker who stand and block the stairs on bus.

Papa Smut wrote:
    I wa son the Luas this morning packed as always. Two (fairly) eldery ladies got on and being the gentleman I am, offered my seat up. However I nearly had to boot the guy in the opposite seat to give up his!! :mad: Manners have truly gone out the window into an on-coming tunnel....

true but then again i once offered up my seat and this old lady got offended and gave me nasty looks for the rest of the trip wtf! try to be nice

If you open a door for a lady your patronizing if you don’t your a pig, you can’t win.
    The same applies to offering up your seat.

Trizo wrote:
    true but then again i once offered up my seat and this old lady got offended and gave me nasty looks for the rest of the trip wtf! try to be nice

If you open a door for a lady your patronizing if you don’t your a pig, you can’t win.
    The same applies to offering up your seat.

That my dear friend, is (no offence) Pure Baloney. Women (as a generalisation) do enjoy it as long as your never condescending about it. If it looks like you're making a big deal out of it, you'll get that attitude.

Sorry for going (slightly) off topic

dabhal wrote:
    dont get me started on the F^%ker who stand and block the stairs on bus.

Likewise - drives me insane, its really dangerous coming down the stairs when its blocked by a******s standing on it. Also standing on the upper deck of a bus - if there was an accident god know what would happen to them (and the poor unfortunates who find themselves in the way of them).

Then they would look for compo - and knowing this country they prob would get it!

I was on a bus recently where people were standing up stairs and the driver came up to them and told them to move it as he wasn't going anywhere until they had moved.

Papa Smut wrote:
    That my dear friend, is (no offence) Pure Baloney. Women (as a generalisation) do enjoy it as long as your never condescending about it. If it looks like you're making a big deal out of it, you'll get that attitude.

Sorry for going (slightly) off topic

well despite how you or i feel on the subject it happens .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Agreed with Trizo there. And the best way to deal with rude people when you've been chivalrous is to either let that door slam in their face, or embarrass the hell out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Trizo wrote:
    well despite how you or i feel on the subject it happens .....

Happens to me about once a month....but considering the amount of door holding and seat giving i do (i'm a good boy)....tis not a particularly common occurence :D

RuggieBear wrote:
    Happens to me about once a month....but considering the amount of door holding and seat giving i do (i'm a good boy)....tis not a particularly common occurence :D

It may not be a common occurrence but its regular one :D
    I too hold a lot of doors open and offer seats etc……..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yoda wrote:
    But they are cattle.
    enterprise wrote:
    Indeed training but would it help? I remember one evening getting off a peak-hour southbound DART at Pearse. The doors had barly opened, I was getting off and I was swamped by people getting on. A few angry shouts of "let people off first" just met with blank stares.
    Cattle prod TBH.
    Papa Smut wrote:
    And what it that person had back or legs problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

On numeous occasions, I have tried to get off the DART where people are crowding around the door and people are jumping onboard like it's the last train EVER! I've to try and push my way through about ten people and people are so rude! They look at you and see you're trying to disembark and they still won't move the hell out of my way!!

I remember one day, I was trying to get off the train and people would not let me. And so this man suddenly yells "for god sake, this girl is trying to get off the train, MOVE!!!" and people moved then.

It's so bloody ignorant! And another day, I was one of the first people on the platform waiting for a train, and then when the train arrived, the platform was mobbed, I was in the queue, people got on, there was no space left, then a man was trying to get off the DART so I stood aside and let him, and this stooopid beeatch of a woman jumped into my place!! As a result, I'd to wait a further 30 minutes for another train.

:mad: Oh some people in this country, cows in a cattle mart would be more mannerly!

Cattle can learn, Victor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

tinkerbell wrote:
    people are jumping onboard like it's the last train EVER!
    tinkerbell wrote:
    this stooopid beeatch of a woman jumped into my place!! As a result, I'd to wait a further 30 minutes for another train.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

haha, okay I see your point! :D

But I had been in the queue first, so I should've been let on the train before her ignorant ass!

ahh ... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

You think it's bad in this country? You should see the dutch - it's quite comical seeing people trying to get on and off the metro in Amsterdam. Stalemate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yoda wrote:
    Cattle can learn, Victor.
    Yup, they sure can censored.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement