Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New shopping centres in the city

Options
  • 19-11-2004 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have the inside track on the new shopping centres that are supposed to be going up in the near future?

Railway square:
    Supposed to have a large cinema. There were also rumours of a Marks & Spencers or Debenhams as the anchor tennant.

Michael st./De La Salle centre:
    Buildings supposed to have been bought. Not sure about planning permission. Whenever I see an aerial photo of Waterford in a property section, this area is always marked as a new shopping centre. Are they counting their chickens?

Egan's/Pennies:
    Not a shopping centre, but what is going on here? afaik, Egan's and Pennies are owned by the same people and there was a runour that both were going to be knocked and a Brown Thomas might be put in there.

Anything else going up on the Dunmore rd.?

Any plans to fix up the Lisduggan centre? (I remember this was *the* place to shop in Waterford! - bit like the Ilac centre in Dublin!)

Any rumour or hearsay? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

merlante wrote:
    Michael st./De La Salle centre:
    Buildings supposed to have been bought. Not sure about planning permission. Whenever I see an aerial photo of Waterford in a property section, this area is always marked as a new shopping centre. Are they counting their chickens?

Egan's/Pennies:
    Not a shopping centre, but what is going on here? afaik, Egan's and Pennies are owned by the same people and there was a runour that both were going to be knocked and a Brown Thomas might be put in there.

Anything else going up on the Dunmore rd.?

:)

Well as regards Michael Street, I hear that the tennants have until just after Christmas to vacate their premises. I know the Temple Bar is closing then and the occupants of 2 houses on Alexander St are gone already. I'm not 100% sure but I think planning has be granted for this project

Egans/Pennys
    I would think it would be very unlikely that these two buildings would be knocked. If memory servers be right, you are correct with who bought this premises but I think it was reported in the media at the time that Pennys planned to open a Catagory B shop here. Whatever thea is. They do have a hugh store in Blanchardstown Centre, so maybe it would be something like that, but just not as big.

Dunmore Rd

What else is needed out there. Thefinal things to be put in place in the future is KFC and the Funeral home. There wont be much room left along that bit of road them.

One can only imagine the amount of land that is opened up once the new road opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Leonard wrote:
    Dunmore Rd

What else is needed out there. Thefinal things to be put in place in the future is KFC and the Funeral home. There wont be much room left along that bit of road them.
    There already is a SuperMacs. Though there is no Bank Of Ireland branch around here. There was also supposed to be a cinema but I'm not sure of the position on the planning permission. The Dunmore Road is more of an area than just a road. The road runs through it but the traffic rarely does. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

jmcc wrote:
    There already is a SuperMacs. Though there is no Bank Of Ireland branch around here. There was also supposed to be a cinema but I'm not sure of the position on the planning permission. The Dunmore Road is more of an area than just a road. The road runs through it but the traffic rarely does. :)

Regards...jmcc

People used to just think of it as Ardkeen, but then the Dunmore road area expanded so much. They should just put signs up calling it Ardkeen village, and build
    another village out by the brass cock. Time to go northside then...

What about railway square?

Seems to be taking a while... Is the cinema still being built?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

merlante wrote:
    What about railway square?

Seems to be taking a while... Is the cinema still being built?

Railway square was held up bigtime by objections from the Greens and various
    other groups with regards to the Tower and wall from the viking city which
    they feared would block the view of it or possible damage them.

From what Ive been reading they had to redesign a large proportion of what
    was being built as a result of these concerns.

I think the premises on Michael St are being left relatively intact as they dont
    want to change the overall appearance of the street and the various buildings
    being used a fronts for the new development. The BHS chain was mentioned
    as an anchor to this development.

I know that again, objections have been lodged against by residents of
    stephens street and the greens against this development because they fear
    that it will ruin the area.

The art college on Newgate street is supposed to be demoloshed in the
    new few years and they are moving the students from here back to the
    college st campus.

Is there anywhere left to be developed on the Dunmore rd?????

As soon as that new ring road from there to the Cork rd opens, thats gonna be turned into one big housing estate, as there are 4 more housing
    developments planned for the old Tramore Rd out past Kilcohan up to the
    ring road.

Tox

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mad-blaa

Tesco are actually expanding into one of the two units between Homebase and their existing store, apparently a hardware store to rival Homebase. It was origionally supposed to be a big gym and leisure centre, but was knoced at the last minute by the city councel, as Tesco own the building already, it worked out pretty well. "Next" are opening next to them, the first week of December supposidly.

Nice to see them actually working on KFC!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mad-blaa wrote:
    "Next" are opening next to them, the first week of December supposidly.

Not 100% sure on this but I think Next has put its opening back until January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭pixie_student

Next are due to open on the 18th of december!

Next are due to open on the 18th of december!

Isin't there already a Next in city square?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭pixie_student

its actually opeing on the 13th of december and there is already one in city square but the one out the dunmore road with have homewear etc too

• Advertisement

its actually opeing on the 13th of december and there is already one in city square but the one out the dunmore road with have homewear etc too

Oh right. I thought we were talking about railway square! Good to see stuff like that go out the dunmore rd. Hope people still come into town though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Savo

In the longer term there's a 'commercial zone' set out for Carrickpherish - somewhere along the as-yet-unbuilt road between the Knockhouse and Gracedieu roads. (near the back of the Northern Extension Business Park where the Sorting Office and Spraoi HQ are).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

need new shopping centre for waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Be careful the locals will round on you and chase you out with pitch forks for comments like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...we ve moved on, we use bow and arrows nowadays!

Advertisement