Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips HDD70 MP3 Player

Options
  • 19-11-2004 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Has anyone else bought the Philips HDD70 MP3 Player? It's a great little machine, but I have a question about the DMM software that Philips supplied with it. I bought a couple of albums from the MSN music site, and because there are Protected WMA's, the DMM software won't recongise them... Has anyone else experienced this problem?

The MP3 player plays both MP3 and WMA, I've transferred several versions of each to the player, but these were unprotected copies.

If anyone has any advice, I'll be greatful if you could pass it on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Do a google for a guy called Jon Johansen.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ktoal

Jon Johansen faces jail time for his role in creating software that permits DVD owners to view DVDs on players that are not approved by the entertainment industry...

That's why I'm buying digital music legally... But it's like the MP3 manufactures are making it hard to copy legally bought encrypted music to your portable device.... They just all just one step behind. Anyhow, back to my problem. Anyone got any advice?

I wasn't suggesting you start hacking, I had read he created software which allowed digitally protected music to be played in other systems... for example, legally letting itunes music be played in Quicktime, thought he might have written something which could have helped you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I have a HDD70, and while a nice little bit of kit, the early versions of the DMM were total tripe. Only ever used it for mp3 myself, so I'm not sure what the current situation about wma is. But you're best off to download copies of the newest version of both the DMM and the firmware, both of which have been vastly improved. Its about a 60MB download though.

If you can't manage that, send me a PM and I can mail them to you on CD if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ktoal

I wonder if he charges by the hour? :D

• Advertisement

The whole Digital Rights Management thing is going to get very messy. Microsoft have written their own DRM package and are trying to muscle that in and reclaim some of the ground they've lost to Apple. You'll probably end up with different players which are only compatible with certain versions etc etc etc End result, more money for MS, less choice for the consumer. Bunch of arse.

Advertisement