Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours Garden Building Devaluing Our Property

Options
  • 19-11-2004 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Like many of you I had to beg borrow and steal to afford a house in Dublin and have spent many thousands along with blood sweat and tears picking the right house and getting it the way I wanted it.

My neighbour recently erected a large green metal ugly shed in his back garden. The shed is now blocking light onto my decking in my garden plus my kitchen and dining room windows. When I approached him he said he would move it to a more suitable position. He then rang me the following morning to tell me his wife did not agree to moving it as it would "not fit in with her garden plan". Surely she cannot have her garden the way she wants at the expence of ours!!

The brief rules on the Fingal County Council leaflet state that planning permission is not needed for garden buildings under 3 meters in height and under 25sq meters. My garden is set lower than his so from my side its above 3 meters but not on his. When I rang building control she said the shed has just snuck in under the regulations.

I really feel that this building has affected our right to light. It is too high, inconsiderate of adjoining dwellings and had degraded and devalued our property.

Does anyone know the exact rules governing garden buildings devalueing neighbours property, garden buildings having to fit in with the look of the surrounding buildings or neighbours right to light? Any good advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

heard from somewhere(i might be wrong) but you have to be 20 years or so in a house to be able to object to affecting your light.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

as far as I know, you do not have a right to light. However, you do have some protection, but I think only if the dwelling that is erected is greater than the allowable size. The only way you would have had a chance to object is if he had to apply for permission but looks like he didn't. It doesn't look good for you.
    Like you say, it's inconsiderate and the fact is there are many people out there like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

two can play at that game . . .
    a taste of his own medicine . . . . if your light is going to be blocked you might as well do some work to your garden . . . you might want to 'cover up' the unsightly shed with your own plants and/or garden ornaments . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

shabbyroad wrote:
    two can play at that game . . .
    a taste of his own medicine . . . . if your light is going to be blocked you might as well do some work to your garden . . . you might want to 'cover up' the unsightly shed with your own plants and/or garden ornaments . . .
    I think the idea was to get his light back, not block it even further...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You have a right to (some) light. However, its one of the fuzzy areas of law so you might have a quick chat with a solicitior. But try to have a meaningful conversation with your neighbours first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You could always smash a hole in the roof of the shed and pretend its a window over looking your property? LOL

Like the others said you don't really have a right to light, you can dance around the issue, privacy is usually the one that people use to block these issues. I think your kind of stuck with it, I have never heard of anyone getting a temp building moved, its very difficult.

Advertisement