Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back the Bertie Bowl?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭madmorphy

From my reading of the different posts,i have come to the conclusion that :

1.The majority of people who are against city Stadia rarely if ever go to large sporting events.
    2.Said people are completely addicted to their cars and don't seem to be able to comprehend any other form of transport,including their own legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Trojan wrote:
    I'm a supporter of public transport - and it's just as easy from people from far away to get to city centre stadia via public transport as it is via private transport. That excuse doesn't hold much water with me - as you say, it's an opinion, and not one I respect much.
    Take for example a family (2 adults, 2 kids) from Cork City. What's cheaper, easier and more time efficient, a train or a car? Take the same idea from a rural location. Most of the people in this situation don't require restaurants or pubs near the stadium. They do require parking. Take a situation of a group of non-dublin based twenty- or thirty-somethings. Ireland's public transport 'service' pretty much dictates they need a car. Now they might like a few drinks as well but for them parking is probably more important, seeing as getting there a different way is way too much hassle. If you think Ireland's public transport network leaves this journey easy then you obviously don't have much experience with using it.

Don't get me wrong, i'd much prefer it to be in a city centre location too but it needs facilities for parking or at least park and ride facilities with free or very cheap connections between the parking and the stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Imposter wrote:
    Ireland's public transport 'service' pretty much dictates they need a car. Now they might like a few drinks as well but for them parking is probably more important, seeing as getting there a different way is way too much hassle. If you think Ireland's public transport network leaves this journey easy then you obviously don't have much experience with using it.

Don't get me wrong, i'd much prefer it to be in a city centre location too but it needs facilities for parking or at least park and ride facilities with free or very cheap connections between the parking and the stadium.

I absolutely agree with you. I think we do need to plan for things like this. Croke Park could do with a train station to serve it. A railway track runs close by.

Lansdowne Road already has one (albeit a bit of a nuisance because of the level crossing) What we need now is sufficiently organised car parking at other train stations along the line to let people coming up from the country park there and then pootle into the ground on a transport system that takes commuters to town on other days.

Spread the load of parking througout the train line. Don't all try and cram into D4. For your own comfort as well as ours.

This is what many people do in England when visiting Premiership grounds. Drive to a convenient tube/train station to them and then travel to the ground on the train. It's not rocket science.

Advertisement