Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

About to buy and advice needed!!!

Options
  • 19-11-2004 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Ok I have 26-27k to spend and I am torn between a 02 BMW 316 SE with 22k on the clock and a 03 Honda Accord (new model) with 12k on the clock.

BMW is a BMW but the Honda is a year newer and has more kit!!!

I had an old Accord and loved it and this is a brand new model so wont date for at least 4-5 years.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

You don't say which engine Accord - but its really unimportant as I would recommend the Honda over the four-pot Beemer any day. The Honda will offer greater performance and will hold its value as well as the BMW. Having driven a 316 recently I can't remember a more gutless and tiresome drive - I was constantly shifting gear and waiting for the two-ton flywheel to stop spinning to get a smooth gear change. The face-lifted Honda is better looking and in my humble opinion better built and more pleasant to spend time with (flames from unkel/kbannon due any second now). The BMW is only a BMW - its not a McLaren.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Your luckly to have such a problem, I'd go with the Beamer it seems like a bargin at 27k IMO.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No flames ceptor!
    I agree - the 316i is fairly low powered for its size IMO. I drove a 04 model when my car was being servived and the only thing that kept me entertained initially whilst driving was the cruise control (big swing as they say!)!
    However, I later took it out on the back roads near me! Then I began liking it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Hi Mcloughl,

As you say the BMW is a BMW - put for 27k odd, it will probably have a significantly low spec compared to the Accord.

As asked, no idea of engine size, the Accord will perform well all-round. 12k service intervals and I have to admit it looks cooler than the BMW (IMO). The only thing is that there are really becoming popular and they may not be as desireable in a few years where there's always a demand for Beemers.

Jayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

flames from unkel/kbannon due any second now

Nope, contrary to popular belief *cough* I ain't a fanboy :)

You've got a mighty fine budget there, mcloughl. Like the ceptr asked, what engine is the Accord? Or to be more general, what is the max engine size you would consider?

Think about it. For the same total annual costs, you could be driving either a much more interesting, a much faster or a much better car, or one that is all of the above

Relatively new Beamers are ridiculously expensive in this country, especially lower end ones (only the almighty knows why, but let me guess - posh value?). Keep your money in your pocket for the mo, sit back and start thinking again about what kinda car you would like. It strikes me you haven't done a lot of that yet

Post your considerations here and we'll do our worst thinking of the ideal car for you :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

BMW 316 aint worth half the money its being sold at.. crazy prices for a car
    with barely any extras or little comforts. They do hold the road very well,
    good handling but wouldnt touch anything under a 2 ltr. And they dont offer
    too much in the areas of size and comfort. Boot is tiny too..

Accords are lovely cars, supposed to be a lovely drive too, good few little bits
    and pieces for extras.

Personally Id avoid both, if ya still want to go the BMW route, go for something
    like a 520i like this or go one higher like the 523i here

But then again, thats just my choice.. :D

Tox

Advertisement