Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 98 is being a bastard. Please help me!

• 19-11-2004 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

I have broadband in an office that works fine with all the slick laptops running wireless on xp pro. But the poor secretary has to deal with an ancient IBM 600e running windows 98 Se. In that PC, we have an Intel Pro/100 Cardbus II Pcmcia Adaptor connected by ethernet cable to an SMC Access Point. Broadband is provided by Eircom courtesy of Netopia box.

So here is the problem. We can ping the SMC router but we still can't get any web access. We can even ping google and other websites but there is no response if we ping the netopia broadband.

But meanwhile all the wireless cards are accessing just fine. Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I beg to differ, Windows ME and Dos 4 are the children they don't talk about.

If you can ping google you don't have a windows 98 problem.

At a guess the 98 box has a built modem and in Internet Explorer in connections there is a button to connect using always dialup or local network. Set it to local network.

98lite can be used to remove IE from windows 98 so it's not part of the OS, but you need it for http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

It also could be DSN setting.
    When you ping did you use URL or IP?
    Try use IP address in IE address bar. If you can access web site with IP but not URL then it's DSN setting.

Advertisement