Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archery Training course!!!!

• 19-11-2004 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Ok folks anyone interested in getting actual archery qualifications???? Noel mentioned there is some course or other and that Sinead and Moira (the fabulous duo) have. some, so what's the deal????

Also do a couple of us allwant to go together out of club expenses????...

Hey if sinead and moira shoot against the guys and we make up our own rules then does thatmean we can have noel shoot for us considering he trains with us :) >>>>>

Right folks see you at the NUI Maynooth ..We can chat fully about this.Also i'll make a better welcoming speech and be able to read out targets then a certain other occasion without outside help stepping in. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭mhairesa

NUI Vixen wrote:

Hey if sinead and moira shoot against the guys and we make up our own rules then does thatmean we can have noel shoot for us considering he trains with us :) >>>>>
    my name is spelt Máire, but ill let it slide just this once!!!!;)
    if you have noel shooting with you an account of him training with you does that mean i can shoot for DIT:p cause i trained and coached with them last year(and prolly will again when they actually get somewehre to train!!):D
    think of the scores!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭trig

I think there'll be details going up on Dolmen Archers' website soon but I'm not sure when.

Its an level 1 coaching course run in accordance with FITA and NCTC (who are based in UL I think) guidlines etc. Its on around the end of January and will be a two day, weekend seminar. There are 12 places available split amongst all the IAAA clubs so I'd imagine the people who attend will be limited to at most one per club, will have to be IAAA members and possibly the clubs may have to be fully affiliated (3 of the college clubs are). But then I'd imagine it'll be based on demand too so its really up to Pat Lyons who's organising it with the IAAA coaching sub committee.

Best thing to do is contact Pat Lyons, I'm sure Span can help us out on that front, and at least try and get someone from your club's name down.

Well Noel also trains with us so perhaps we can have Máire and Noel!!! We'd be invincible HA HA HA HA HA etc

It seems who shoots for what club is a very contentious topic at the moment. Another thing to put on the Maynooth meeting agenda! This could take all night.

Its not looking good on that training with us thing at the minute Máire, that dispute is now heading for the labour court so thats another month at least before we get a proper training time. The hassle :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

trig wrote:
    There are 12 places available split amongst all the IAAA clubs so I'd imagine the people who attend will be limited to at most one per club, will have to be IAAA members and possibly the clubs may have to be fully affiliated (3 of the college clubs are).

Let me take this opportunity to scream profanities and cry.

After waiting this damn long and there's 12 places. This is over a YEAR over due. *mutters and gets back to other problems*

That's what I thought Halenger, but as ever it's not that simple. In order to get funding for a coaching program, an organisation has to comply with NCTC (National Coaching and Training Centre) regulations on the matter. This means people had to be attend course structuring seminars, course content seminars etc. The NCTC provide general sports coaching information and training and then the IAAA, using FITA guidelines supply sport specific training.

The group size is limited by these regulations and guidelines and I'm open to correction on this but I think NCTC personnel are involved in the course too. They have established that this is the ideal group size for this type of course to be effective.

The way it was discribed to me, however, I understand that this is not a once off course. Once the program is up and running, these will presumably be held on a regular basis. The FITA level 2 coaching guidelines will become available in the next year too, so a course based on these will also come on stream at some point after this.

Finally, some of you may be aware of the 'four year programme' as proposed by Keith Hanlon and Mr Hans Blum. Efforts are being made to integrate elements of that plan into the coaching program at present. So people aren't standing still on these matters.

• Advertisement

Good. It most certainly shouldn't be once off.

I knew someone who was involced in the NCTC and he said that the archery coaching scheme thing had been brought before them and was proceeding etc. This was over a year and a half ago. *sighs*

Do tell us more of this 4 year programme... I may have heard some of it before. There was also talk, last AGM, of a program for people who wanted to be coached, properly. As in a regular thing to help build people up to a very high standard and keep them at it. This never seemed to happen. That or I've just been outta the loop, again.

It's been in the pipeline for two years now, but you have to understand that this is all voluntary work. People gave up their weekends to go down and learn how to put together a standardised coaching course. Now nobody is going to give up every weekend for 6 months so it takes a much longer time to learn all the different elements, create draft after draft untill the course gets apprroved by the NCTC. And then, when all that is done, venues have to booked and funding has to come through.
    To be honest, I'm suprised anyone had the committment to see this thing through.

Anyway, this is the unedited "four year programme". I'm sure Renegade_Archer amongst others will be very interested. NOTE, due to the fact that Mr Blum will have to be flown in, if this proceeds as planned it will require extreme personnal time and financial committment.

trig wrote:
    Finally, some of you may be aware of the 'four year programme' as proposed by Keith Hanlon and Mr Hans Blum.
    Keith is trying to organise the first seminar for the 4th & 5th of December, and it looks like its going to go ahead in UCD. The first day will be for anybody who wants to go but that shoots under 1050. Which means not very many IV ppl will be able to go 'cause its on the same day as Maynoothfrown.gif . The second day is for ppl who shoot above 1050(I just scraped into this group 'cause of my 1052 in DCU lol!!smile.gif ) I think its gonna be about €10/15. Hans will be coaching and there'll be some sort of fitness test also. I think I'll be headin to sportslink on monday so I can ask keith what's the deal and then let ya'll know.

mhairesa wrote:
    Keith is trying to organise the first seminar for the 4th & 5th of December, and it looks like its going to go ahead in UCD. The first day will be for anybody who wants to go but that shoots under 1050. Which means not very many IV ppl will be able to go 'cause its on the same day as Maynoothfrown.gif . The second day is for ppl who shoot above 1050(I just scraped into this group 'cause of my 1052 in DCU lol!!smile.gif ) I think its gonna be about €10/15. Hans will be coaching and there'll be some sort of fitness test also. I think I'll be headin to sportslink on monday so I can ask keith what's the deal and then let ya'll know.

My eyes! Oh for the love of all that's good and pure!

We had that before. Which I went to. It was very very good. Hans is an excellent coach. I dunno if I'll be going this time. Probably should leave it in the hope that it'll run next year/other.

Its a four year programme Halenger. Its all about continuous development. If you're not up to the pace at the moment, most people, myself included will only fall further behind by next year unless some serious effort is put in.

This is one of those things that can't be put off till 'next year' because of the nature of the Olympics. Now I'm not saying we're all going to the Olympics in four years, but the whole programme is based around those who are or are trying to.

• Advertisement

Aah... didn't think of it like that. In that case I'll try to go.

This isn't isn't as limited as the coaching training I'd assume?

Not the saturday anyway. Although you might have to be an IAAA member considering they're footing the bill. The sunday will be restricted to those people who can shoot 1050 indoors according to mhairesa's retinally destructive earlier post.

That means Sinéad, Máire. I'm sure Ewan can put in a 1050, madrab could if he was motivated enough. I'm sure a few others such as Daniel Walsh could put in one on recent evidence. But I'm not sure if the ins and outs of how recent you need to have shot it or whether you need to be a full blown IAAA member (€40 student membership still). Might be worth trying to contact Keith Hanlon bout the details for anyone who thinks they're of the appropriate standard. I don't have the number but as mhairesa suggested, heading to Sportslink on Monday might be the way to go.

Anyway, I'm sure she'd be good enough to post some details on Monday night/Tuesday morning :confused:

The clash with Maynooth on the saturday is irritating :(

trig wrote:
    Not the saturday anyway. mhairesa's retinally destructive earlier post.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!:D

Yeah that's a point about the IAAA membership.

It's November though so what's the story again. Is it half price membership for the year or free for the rest of the year? It's a long time since I talked with Chris about that! ;)

If they don't have enough on the Sunday they may invite Saturday people back again (as they did last time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭MicS

After AGM till New Year it's free. I was checking it last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Not to piss on anyones parade here, but doesnt that clash with the Maynooth intervarsity? Thats going to make things difficult for some, OK for me as >1050 is on Sunday... still, would be nice if they took IVs into account when setting these things up.

Regards

Ewan

Damn you people. Don't you listen to anything I post :confused: or mháiresa for that matter, she said it clashes bout 10 posts ago Renegade_Archer

Right. €40 student/junior IAAA membership. Club membership has gone up to €200. Aparently it hasn't gone up in a few years and that'll go some way to fund the various coaching programs and such coming on stream next year. The IAAA were only just breaking even and have nudged into the red towards the end of this year and with the Euronations. Adult membership goes up (I think to €80 but not sure). Those are next year's prices.
    Originally Posted by halenger
    If they don't have enough on the Sunday they may invite Saturday people back again (as they did last time).
    The whole idea is to have a small group on sunday. These are the elite guys, the nucleus of the future Irish team. Hans wants to work closely with these 'elite' people in a one on one situation as well as to mould a team. In that context, small numbers is a good thing.

Might I also suggest that part of the reason for the clash on the saturday is that we never make the IAAA aware of any of our fixtures. In a bid to sidestep such problems, I would propose lighting a fire under UL and to a lesser extent GMIT (cos they host the nationals on the sunday so there's hardly gonna be a clash there) to get their dates booked and submitted to Donal in the IAAA (secretary). Keith has a meeting with them next week so I'm sure he'll air this point.

Btw Renegade_Archer, not sure if that 1050 thing is for blokes as well as girls or what the story is. If I were you, I'd give Mr Hanlon a bell and ensure you're on board cos from where I'm sitting, he got Hans on board, he's the impetus and he seems to have the initial say on whos in on Sunday. Unless that is you've already been invited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

trig wrote:
    madrab could if he was motivated enough

hey!

oh yeah....never mind

:-)

trig wrote:
    The whole idea is to have a small group on sunday. These are the elite guys, the nucleus of the future Irish team. Hans wants to work closely with these 'elite' people in a one on one situation as well as to mould a team. In that context, small numbers is a good thing.

Yeah I get your point. I was only making reference to the past and this was before I read the document.

Interesting document. Very much a Saturday person here with sights on coaching also.

Anyhow let's steer as far from the word "elite" as possible. :) Sunday is for people who will make the National Team.

Anyone who hasn't read the document and is intending being anyway serious with archery over the next 4 years should go read it. The more important and more serious stuff comes a little later (not to say it's not serious from the beginning, it is) which is good for myself anyhow. If I can manage to keep with it during Final Year then it'll be a little easier in terms of outside influences.

• Advertisement

I'd like to think the first sessions will be more about talking, not that its not important or anything. Getting the mental focus to last the four years and so forth. Still, it'll be at least another month before he's over again so missing a session really puts a person behind the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭span

The 1050 mark for going on the Sunday is based on outdoor scores not indoor.

Pat is going to talk to Hans to see if people shooting in the IV but not at the 1050 level can go on the Sunday because of the fact they cant make it on the Saturday.

trig wrote:
    I'd like to think the first sessions will be more about talking, not that its not important or anything. Getting the mental focus to last the four years and so forth. Still, it'll be at least another month before he's over again so missing a session really puts a person behind the pack.

Again I've no intention of missing it and going by that document the mental training will be more 2005/06 onwards.

Just mean in terms of training. For example training daily is hard to do when you've got so much project work and exams and so on.

I can see a weekend being in January or May or something in the middle of some exam somewhere. :P It'd be a shame to miss but I think exams do come first! ;)

This is pure idle speculation but I'd imagine the committment will be a bit less then the example in the suggested training part of the FITA website. It is perscribed for "archers who want to compete internationally" and was drawn up by Pascal Colmaire.

The problem with schedules like that is they ramp up the hours for the outdoor season in April/May - the very time we're most busy studying for exams. Might be a problem alright

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭span

trig wrote:

The problem with schedules like that is they ramp up the hours for the outdoor season in April/May - the very time we're most busy studying for exams. Might be a problem alright

you have to think more in the long term trig. Ok fair enough you will be busy with exams for the nest year or two but then you'll have plenty of time when you're out in the real world making millions :). My own goal is the 2012 olympics. I wont be good enough by 2008.

Pat Lyons has confirmed with Hans that any students who are competeing in the maynooth IV will be able to attend the course on sunday. It's on in dun laoghaire(somewhere) starting at 10AM

span wrote:
    My own goal is the 2012 olympics.
    I'll see you there! :)

Yeah, I take your point, I will have to take the long term view. You can lose an aweful lot of momentum when you hardly shoot for two months all the same, specially when everyone else is training twice as hard.

Its a while since you did any exams span, so it might be hard for you to remember :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

span wrote:
    Pat Lyons has confirmed with Hans that any students who are competeing in the maynooth IV will be able to attend the course on sunday. It's on in dun laoghaire(somewhere) starting at 10AM

the somewhere is: Our Lady of Lourdes Rehab Hospital, Rochestown Avenue, Dun Laoghaire.
    10am and the cost will be €10 for students

The first session is on fitness and goal setting.... and if you are planning on a long term goal of national squad, missing a session will put you behind the rest
    so attend if you can.

the IAAA are in the process of sorting out archery.ie as a domain name to replace the current site thats down.
    should be up soon.

Is it out there on the Saturday also?

Do we've to book in advance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

In 2000 my goal was the 2004 Olympics, I guess that didnt happen :(

• Advertisement

Blame college and shift goals ahead 4 years.

Go for it! :D

Advertisement