Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bike insurance...

Options
  • 19-11-2004 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

i was just curious, whats the average price for bike insurance??

i have to renew my car insurance in june.. but i'm thinkin of getting a bike(cc unknown).. is there anyone here with a bike? whats your insurance?

i'm 21 and when i get the bike(if i do) i'll have a years ncb on the car and hopefully a full bikers licence...

also: i was *thinkin* of keeping the car aswell... so if i wanted to keep a 1.2 punto and have a bike would i get some kind of deal from the insurance company?

i don't know what cc i'll be gettin but it'll definitely be more than a 125 and i ain't gettin a god damn moped :rolleyes: .. a nice cruiser :D my budget'll be around 5/6k if anyone has any idea's for a bike aswell;) second hand or new...

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

How much? Well, it all depends. Doesn't it always :)
    The factors the insurance companies consider, pretty much in this order:
    licence type
    NCB.

Just to give you an idea, I'm into my 3rd year on a bike. I'm in my 30s in Dublin on a 400cc bike and it costs me 830 euro. If I was in Wicklow the insurance would drop by about 200 euro or further afield in Leitrim/Sligo it would cost 450.

Have a look at the FAQ and you should have most of your questions answered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

well i'm in tallaght so not a great start;)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

I had a car and a motorbike with hibernian so when i got my moped aswell they insured that for free , but it all depends on age x cc of bike x 1,000 000 (roughly)
    but give them a ring and if you have both car and bike then you get a percentage discount.
    If your going for a nice cruiser I had the Yamaha Virago , nice bike, V-Twin engine have a look at them.
    Also as for insurance I'm with Carole Nash and pay 430 ish for a moped (with recovery services) (yes I know how you feel about mopeds ...) just giving a guage is all.

But before you diss the 'peds completly , I got mine for 600 blips , had the restrictors ripped out so now I can do 50ish mph and still small enough to get through traffic ..nice

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're looking at upwards of €2000 for third party only on a 125cc (group 2) bike, probably closer to €2.5k. Have a look on www.bikeworld.ie (not a great site, but at least they list the bikes and their insurance groups), find a bike you think you might like, then go to www.hiberniandirect.ie and get a quote. If it says it can't quote you, that means the insurance will cost more than the bike. :)

Your 1 year's NCB on the car will count for nothing, ditto for your car licence.

If you have a full car licence, you'll be back on a provisional for the bike, and you'll have to take a theory test if you haven't done so already (for the car licence).

I haven't heard of any insurance company doing discounts for car & bike insurance. Hibernian are the only insurer who will give you bike insurance, since Carole Nash won't insure you under 25 without an NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

At your age i'd stick with a 125 cruiser to keep insurance low, especially as you're in dublin where premiums are much higher.
    My insurance is 780ish with carole nash on a 250 bandit (i'm 25) on my second provisional, my mates fzr250 was 1850 to insure, both in clare, in dublin they would both have been 60%+ more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

seamus wrote:
    I haven't heard of any insurance company doing discounts for car & bike insurance. Hibernian are the only insurer who will give you bike insurance, since Carole Nash won't insure you under 25 without an NCB.

Hi Seamus, I had my insurance with Hibernian but moved to Carole Nash as they were cheaper. But Hibernian _did_ offer a discount if you had more than one policy with them. Just not enough to make it cheaper than CN; something like 5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

seamus wrote:
    Hibernian are the only insurer who will give you bike insurance, since Carole Nash won't insure you under 25 without an NCB.

AXA do bike insurance as well so you could try them. They do it through AON insurances which is a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm currently paying about 540 euros for third party only on a virago 125 (group 2 insurance) - but that is with a full licence and maximum NCB.
    When I first got the virago i was 19 and paying about 1000, and on a provisional licence.
    I'm 22 and living in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

AXA do bike insurance as well so you could try them. They do it through AON insurances which is a broker.

Feckin theives! They quoted me over €1800 on my group 7 bike. I promptly went back to Hiibernian who knocked over €500 off the premium. Since AON went to AXA they've gotten rather extravagant with their quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah, wasn't aware they'd moved to AXA. I assume the same deal applies though - only insurance through a dealer? And AXA probably won't quote directly :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement