Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could we have an attempt at fairness?

Options
  • 19-11-2004 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

The replies listed on thunderdome at theis link http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=202988 were to "cleaned" from a thread on GLB issues.
    This is a bit of nonsense. Whatever about Smidgey's comment earning him a week long ban, my reply was both reasoned, relevant and polite.

I take huge exception from the title "bitching" when the only biching was done was by a moderator. The comment in the moderators post that a pvt msg would show respect is so lame as to be risible yet the same person denigrates other people's comments as bitching.

This thread is still open with our comments removed and the threat that if we post a complaint (which of course is a decision left to he who wants respect) we will be banned.BAN ME! because I am going to post a complaint there tonight.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Fairness is over-rated tbh. Meglomania is in this season, it's the new pink. Go with the times..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

According to the forum charter, moderators are entitled to move off topic posts. The designated place for off-topic posts of the arguments between users nature is the Thunderdome, so that's where I moved them. I include the "further off-topic complaints in the thread itself" disclaimer because that's where users tend to post their complaints, and we end up never getting back to the thread subject itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭boomdogman

Since neither thread was off topic this defence is not sustainable. No defence is offered for the denigration of legitimate views as "bitching" so I must believe not even stark has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

boom your wasting your time the Mods are always right. Just give it up trying to argue your point is a waste of time because they are not going to ever back down, much like all people deep down they are just kids ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

boom your wasting your time the Mods are always right. Just give it up trying to argue your point is a waste of time because they are not going to ever back down, much like all people deep down they are just kids ;)
    I'm just a kid. Not "deep down" either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

boomdogman wrote:
    Since neither thread was off topic this defence is not sustainable. No defence is offered for the denigration of legitimate views as "bitching" so I must believe not even stark has one.
    *Sigh* The thread was threatening to veer off topic, so the offending posts were moved. Whatever about the merits of re-titling the thread, the posts themselves didn't really add anything to the debate and so were pruned.

I don't think anyone was denigrating views. The original post by smidgy was a pointless daft post. Whether it was meant offensively or not, it was sensationalist, flame bait that was not supported by any coherence. I've seen enough posts in my time - here and elsewhere - to recognize its type so I did as I saw fit. You then disagreed, that's fine, but you started disagreeing with me in a thread that had nothing to do with moderating. I'd have been more than happy to discuss it with you in PM but, by posting it in the main thread, you were kicking it off topic and into a potential flaming situation. That's what the Thunderdome is for.

You're more than welcome to continue posting and you're more than welcome to disagree with the views presented on the thread's subject matter. If you've a problem with other stuff though, outside of the topic of the thread, tell us in virtual person, not the world. Noone wants to see a load of bitching, it's tiresome for all concerned.
    boom your wasting your time the Mods are always right. Just give it up trying to argue your point is a waste of time because they are not going to ever back down
    Well at least someone understands us :D (that's a joke before anyone gets irked!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

You know, you'd nearly swear that you think boards is some sort of democracy.

I'm much lesss offended by smidgey's weirdos comment than by the title given to the censored pieces in thundedome. I regard that as deeply offensive, lacking in any respect for genuine arguement and a low effort to make little of two peoples views. it is rare for someone to deliberately give offensive, few people are good at gratuitous rudeness so saying the insult odf labeling our posting as "bitching" is poitless. It was rude, uncalled for and bespeaks a very poor attiude to other people's opinions.

Smidgey's comment was neither pointless nor daft. As to being sensationalist, since that is a whole new grounds for subjective decision making I won't even comment. This new grounds can be added to the "threatening to veer off topic" which seems to cover just about anything.

The reason I publically posted was because the issue of banning smidgey versus argueing with him was one of public ( in here, the boards) issue. Now the grounds for objecting to such a posting are changing from "lack of respect" to "veering off topic".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I'm much lesss offended by smidgey's weirdos comment than by the title given to the censored pieces in thundedome. I regard that as deeply offensive, lacking in any respect for genuine arguement and a low effort to make little of two peoples views

From what I was reading smidgy was doing what is known as "trolling." to which you replied . The moderator chose to move your debate to the Thunderdome as he/she felt that the thread would end up with people quoting each other infenatum. and that a flame war was about to break out. Both yourself and smidge could have continued your debate in the thunderdome.

as for the title of the thread after it was moved to the thunderdome, you have to remember that there are no rules in this forum and that complaining will do you no good. You were more than welcome to continue your debate with whoever you liked, but not in the LGB forum. That was a moderators decision. Slagging people off because of their sexual preferences does not deserve the dignity of debate it is wrong full stop.
    Smidgey's comment was neither pointless nor daft

ROFL "lets call gay marriage, Garriage," come on if that is not the silliest thing I have read all day then please point me to something more silly.
    The reason I publically posted was because the issue of banning smidgey versus argueing with him was one of public ( in here, the boards) issue. Now the grounds for objecting to such a posting are changing from "lack of respect" to "veering off topic".

It is simple really he was a disrespectful individual who posted an ignorant remark which would have resulted in a flame war had he not been repremanded with a banning. The moderator gave you the opportunity to debate with smidgy in the Thunderdome, although I doubt that smidgy would have replied to you as he was trolling the board at the time of his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm much lesss offended by smidgey's weirdos comment than by the title given to the censored pieces in thundedome.

Okay, fair enough, I wasn't thinking fully when naming the thread after I moved it. You can ask one of the Thunderdome mods to rename it if you like, they're Regi, Devore, and Cloud. I stand by the rest of my decision though.

• Advertisement

Ok at least you see my point. No I don't think what he said was stupid. Having a separate legal entity which would allow gay people all the legal rights associated with marriage surely is worth considering? and if it was not called marriage the homophobes would have far less chance of successfully opposing it. "Garriage" was a good point and could have been the start of a useful debate.

Smidgey's manner of expression may have been joking: not altogether convinced by the arguement that you know better 'cos you here longer- but then I never believe anyone knows better than me!
    Sorry that my public disagreement with you offended you, I should have been more tactful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

You have to understand boom, that because Gay/Lesbian and Bisexual issues tend to attract the more extreme haters and muppets that the moderators of this boards will give someone a shorter leash than say someone who runs a board that doesn't attract extremists.

The user in question lost all his credibility after he mentioned his gariage phrase, which you have to admit was a pretty thick thing to say.

The usual pattern with these boards is that usually when someone says something really stupid once, the chances are high that in time they are going to say something really stupid again.

OK Billy thanks for the clarification but I completely disagree about the garriage phrase, since its neither offensive nor a bad idea. Yes he was being extreme but not without point and I took the weirdo's thing as a joke tho one that needed a reply in seriousness.
    paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I don't think you can delete your account.
    Have fun trying though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

quotes like that are really going to help you now!!!

yeah much as I dislike starck i can't delete.MMMMMMMMMMMMm.......data protection act?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Mod protection act, among other reasons. We had a raft of users write stuff, get slapped and then edit it and complain about Mod abuse.

To be fair, that doesnt apply to you. You've reasoned your case fairly,the mod accepts your point of view so I've renamed the thread from "bitching" to "argument".

I'm going back to play with my Tonka Truck now.

BRRRUMM BRRRRRUMMMMMMM!!!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I haven't read any of the history here with your clash with stark, but I've gotten píssed off with internet posts aswell, and what I've learned is; it's just not worth arguing with people, nobody wins and it just ends up melting your head... which is why I stick to the more light-hearted side of boards, which is also the very reason I haven't read the history behind this... can't be arsed with all this serious stuff.
    Don't ditch boards because you've had a clash with someone, most people here are quite cool.

Advertisement