Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD Label printing

• 19-11-2004 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to print a CD label in college, because my printer is oldoldold and sh1t quality. i can't install software to do this without admin privleges. any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sakic

You could always ask could it be installed for a brief period? Or if you have access to a laptop with Wireless networking could ya not stroll into the Quinn School and use one of their printers?
    Or even if you have a friend in the Quinn School, get them to install the software on their laptops and then print them in the school for you?
    I think though, that colleges in general about installing personal software on the computers, obvious reasons but maybe if you ask nicely...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

Cheers, that quinn school idea is pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

WATCH_OUT wrote:
    I'm looking to print a CD label in college, because my printer is oldoldold and sh1t quality. i can't install software to do this without admin privleges. any ideas?
    I thought that in order to print a CD label you'd need a special printer. If on the other hand you have a circle with an image on it, then why don't the ordinary printers work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

You could disconnect a PC and a printer from the network and connect them together as a stand alone affair. We used to do this in Eng to get free printing, but then Computer Services gummed up the printer ports.

I'm sure you could find one around though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Ah yes, we all learned how to do:

ftp eng321laser
    put 1.prn
    bye

I wonder would a sly USB cable be noticed, assuming you got the pC just beside it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I remember that. It worked for a while in Science. Then they coped and disabled FTPing to the printers. Must try that somewhere else. Mind you Computer Services probably read these boards, so they will fix that hole soon. Oh well...

I bet they do - ever noticed that all those tosspots in the deadalus building do is surf the net all day. one of them was reading about potted plants last week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

'tosspots' in daeludus aren't sys admin. diff kettle of fish altogther

does it really matter. it seems that incompetence is the name of the game in that setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Red Alert wrote:
    does it really matter. it seems that incompetence is the name of the game in that setup.
    It's not really incompetence, more a sea of red tape, and people who don't give a ****. I certainly surfed the web all the time when I worked there. **** all else to do. For any kind of change to take place with printers as you suggest would have been nothing to do with me, my supervisors, or their supervisors. It would come before a few people way way up who'd think about it for a few weeks, then ask for a consultation on it for a few weeks, then think about it for another few weeks. The knowledge that you can't really make a difference, and being impossible to be fired (mostly) is what makes the staff not care.

The amount of money and time wasting in that place is unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

forgot about this thread,
    yeah i was talking about jewel case inserts not labels.

Advertisement