Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Frontera - jeeps - any good?

Options
  • 19-11-2004 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

thinking of buying an 1999 opel frontera jeep.

are they heavy on the diesel?

are they a good drive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DON'T DO IT!

Fronteras are crap no matter what thier spec. Even if the engine should pull okay they are fairly horrid for the build quality.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/carreviews/printview.aspx?model_id=973

http://www.verdictoncars.com/jsp/vocmain.jsp?lnk=201&source=ivc&model=203

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

mike65 wrote:
    DON'T DO IT!
    lnk=201&source=ivc&model=203[/url]

Mike.

WHAT HE SAID...

Unless you are getting it for nothing with a years free tax and diesel, find something else.

They are no good for anything, with the exception of keeping rain off your groceries or storing parts of other cars at the back of your house.

If you were about to buy a bicycle with wooden wheels, a rubber chain and a sharp metal spike for a saddle I might suggest you get a Frontera instead but really, NO!

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭handy

thanks folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If you can find a decent 2nd hand Pajero it would be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What do you need an offroader for. Are you going to be towing with it, going off road, carrying stuff around. How much are you willing to spend (older cheap offroaders are likely to have had a very hard life because they're bascially used as tractors) Are you limited to a certain engine size because of insurance or whatever. I think I read in the slappers thread that you are only 17? if you are you'll find it hard to get insurance on any car, never mind a jeep with a 2 or 3 litre engine.
    <edit>OK so you're not 17 but the point about engine size still stands. Stay well away from the Frontera no matter what. The best jeep by quite a way IMO is the Toyota Landcruiser. The next best are probably the Isuzu Trooper and Nissan Patrol. I don't rate the Pajero at all and the Landrover Discovery is unreliable and has several other disadvantages. And the Ford Maverick/Nissan Terrano are just sh*te

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

BrianD3 wrote:
    The best jeep by quite a way IMO is the Toyota Landcruiser. The next best are probably the Isuzu Trooper and Nissan Patrol. I don't rate the Pajero at all and the Landrover Discovery is unreliable and has several other disadvantages. And the Ford Maverick/Nissan Terrano are just sh*te
    I agree with you about the LandCruiser. We have '03 5 door commercial landcrusier and it is amazing. I love driving it, pulling power is extremly good.
    Have a Landrover Discovery also, '95, 7 seater. Pulling power is no where near as good as the landcruiser and get my started on the acceleration aspect of it
    :rolleyes:
    I mentioned the Pajero in my above post because I know a good few people that use them for pulling double horse boxes and they don't complain much about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

NO!

You guys beat me to it ;)

Indeed, what do you want a yoke like that for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Dont touch one

(bits might fall off it) :D

Thanks folks!

Instead of heading to Cork and test driving the jeep, i asked a mate of mine to bring his over and i test drove it, holy crap, had to get off the seat to get the thing accelerating. Didn't know whether she was going to cut out or take off! Nice to be high off the road though.

Not going to be pulling anything etc, have always wanted a jeep and now that i have saved a few quid, wanted to get a heads up off yee before i purchased. Back to the drawing board me thinks.

I'm 26 by the way, my little one is eight at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

If you just want to be up high there are lots of cars which will suit and will be streets ahead of those bloody things. The Frontera is also sold as the Isuzu Mu (in Japan) and the Honda Rodeo (in the US) and is the same rubbish each time, with the manufacturer needing a soft-roader jeep to fill a market segment.

'c

• Advertisement

thanks folks! Bought a BMW 3 series instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

handy wrote:
    thanks folks! Bought a BMW 3 series instead.

Christ you're worsr than me! "I'll buy a nice small car with thats cheap to run, no I wont I'll a German barge, er... "and so on! :D

Mike.

Advertisement