Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goths

• 19-11-2004 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

When I were a lad there was a terrible outbreak of goths / cureheads or whatever you want to call them, and I've noticed it creeping back into fashion parlance again courtesy of Mr Manson.

So, death to goths, or bring on the white powder, black lipstick, purple braided hair and permanent look of "if only you knew what torment my soul was in"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

People moaning about goths is even lamer than goths tbh. How many times must this topic arise I ask thee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

As a style I would say one of the largest factors of it being good or whatever would be its shock factor. The whole different-ness of the entire style makes it interesting.

Of course some people would be of the opinion it looks good, too, so if that'd be your sole reason for liking it you can probably discount my argument here.

Back to the point, if the style is mainly one for shock factor it becomes fairly neutralised if it starts becoming common or fashionable. So... I wouldn't like to see the masses adopting it.

My opinon - it looks good if done well. Some people just look pathetic and unoriginal doing it, but it works on others.

I probably wouldn't go for it myself, it's just far too expensive, and why confine oneself to a specific style, anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Didn't I see you hanging around outside Sound Cellar in purple DMs holding a daffodil and looking for tickets to the Mission Koneko?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I like the whole look myself to be honest. Ok so you do look at some people and think to yourself 'my god that looks pathetic' but on the whole i like the whole look. A fair few of my mates are goths, although im not one myself... it's ads a certain mystery to the person i guess and the look, especially on a female, fishnets, white out faced, black/purple lipstick etc... is gorgeous, imho. They all seem to have a similiar personality too which i like, mostly anyways it's kind of a mad crazy, say anything not care about anyone or anything or anybody's opinion about you. I'm like that myself too and i admire anybody that i see that quality in, society as a whole is too oppressive these days anyways. I like it anyways and i think anybody judging it is a bit futile to be honest, it's not as if people are gonna read this thread and think 'ohh hang on being a goth aint the best... i must stop it.. NOW!!!'. You're entitled to your opinion but come on... Although i do agree that it's becoming a fair bit common now but i'm not opposed to that, everybody is entitled to be who they want to be.

Well just by two cents anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

you're hilarious magpie, a real gem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Goths are losers, fullstop, people who outcast themselves fro society to be different. Nothing wrong with being different but when you look like a freak something is wrong...

Burn them all at the stake I say...

Keyzer wrote:
    Goths are losers, fullstop, people who outcast themselves fro society to be different. Nothing wrong with being different but when you look like a freak something is wrong...

Burn them all at the stake I say...
    Oh isnt that such a great honest open-minded opinion. I was and still love goths. the whole country needs them anyway. Its healthy when you are a teenager.

Papa Smut wrote:
    Oh isnt that such a great honest open-minded opinion. I was and still love goths. the whole country needs them anyway. Its healthy when you are a teenager.

You asked, I delivered...
    I dont see the point in going around like your in the Crow with white paint on yer face and black hair...
    Gothism, if thats what its called, was a fad that people can't let go, it was never fashionable and to be honest when I see a Goth I think one word "Loser"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

What is the point of this thread? All it will do is generate flaming and will probably get locked, like Chizzle Dizzle's thread was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭loz_the_boz

magpie wrote:
    When I were a lad

Before the sex change

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭chizzle dizzle

Keyzer wrote:
    You asked, I delivered...
    I dont see the point in going around like your in the Crow with white paint on yer face and black hair...
    Gothism, if thats what its called, was a fad that people can't let go, it was never fashionable and to be honest when I see a Goth I think one word "Loser"...

I agree to a certain extent Keyzer, I'm not a scag or anything but I do think that these goths look a bit weird!! I do feel that they are trying to get attention, Achillies made the point that all their personalities are the same and I think that is the whole bottom line and that is,these goths all act in the same way and they say they are "individuals" point proved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

who gives a flying ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Goths annoy me 'cause they are the very people who dress in a particular way because they don't want to conform. But the very fact that they choose to dress like a goth means they are still conforming...maybe not to the norm but they are still conforming to a stereotype! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Like how can it be comfortable wearing a full length black leather trench coat in the height of Summer!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Look people should dress how they want to dress, i know a few ppl who dress like "goths" and most of them are fairly sound, then again i kno 1 r 2 who are complete tossers, same can be said about addidas heads, D4 types and northsiders :D (hehehe) ...how can you say without knowing someone just purely based on their appearance that they are "loosers"....?real f*ckin open minded..

A good while ago i used to be f*cking petrified of like big tall guys who wear like black leather trench coats and listen to acts like cradle of filth and slayer on loop, (pretty good bands i might say),(i'm a pretty ickle lady and i'd get squished ubar easily in a mosh pit..) generally they do have that scary look-as that dude before said going for that rebellion, individualistic look-but they actully are the nicest guys, i work with quite a few, and have seen them help old ladies up stairs and even one helped an old lady across the road one night after work..they really are sweet hearts...

Anyway my point is don't judge a book by its cover..take stereo types into account but make up ur own mind! I really hate fudging posts like these, it's great to see what kind of a society we live in.

Right this maybe a bit of the point and a bit "out there" but....

I'm not a "goth" i never have been one, altho there is something interesting about the style...but i empathise with ppl experimenting with their image and trying to make tangiabl something they feel, amongst the youth of today (cue elderly david attenbourgh style voice) they are a kind of minority(im not including the "rocker" avril lavigne-esque kids here)...would u talk about other minorities that way...?or would u be afraid to for fear of being called rascist...?

open your mind, think before you open ur mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

its all about attention seeking
    what annoys me the most is that i get mistaken for one sometimes, i wear DC and ecko jumpers, baggy jeans, skater runners, and it really pissed me off when people call me a goth :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

What Achilles said. I think it looks good, and most of them seem to have the kind of personality that I like.

You'd never feel threatened or intimidated by them, and many of them are intelligent and thoughtful.

Now, off to suicidegirls ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Goths i just dont get. Lets not conform to what society wants us to look like by
    conforming to what all the other people who dont want to conform look like.
    Angst driven teenagers who want to be different but yet all end up looking more or less
    the same. They are still sheep, the only difference is that they like to think they are not.
    Still in saying all that some goths are just damn gorgeous, like the bird from the linkin
    park crawling video, mmmmmmm.

[disclaimer] This does not make me a linkin park fan ............. honest ! [/disclaimer]

IrishMike wrote:
    Goths i just dont get. Lets not conform to what society wants us to look like by
    conforming to what all the other people who dont want to conform look like.
    Angst driven teenagers who want to be different but yet all end up looking more or less
    the same. They are still sheep, the only difference is that they like to think they are not.
    Still in saying all that some goths are just damn gorgeous, like the bird from the linkin
    park crawling video, mmmmmmm.

[disclaimer] This does not make me a linkin park fan ............. honest ! [/disclaimer]

Totally agree with what you have said, they all look the same and are complete sheep, I'm not saying they are not nice people because the majourity of the people I know that are rockers and stuff are really nice with the exception of a few muppets but its the whole image thing that I dont get. In PE class in school the majourity of girls, there is about seven of them (I dont) that wear converses and its looks a bit stupid with them all weraing the same shoes. but I suppose what ever floates your boat but one things for sure I would'nt go around wearing the exact shoes as my friends.

Oh ye and as I think Fletch pointed it out, how is wearing heavy black clothes in the middle of Summer comfortable??? enlighten me because I still dont get how it is!

In PE class in school the majourity of girls, there is about seven of them (I dont) that wear converses and its looks a bit stupid with them all weraing the same shoes.

I'm very offended by that, Chizzle! You're just begging for some serious negative rep now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

fletch wrote:
    Goths annoy me 'cause they are the very people who dress in a particular way because they don't want to conform. But the very fact that they choose to dress like a goth means they are still conforming...maybe not to the norm but they are still conforming to a stereotype! :rolleyes:

People are conformists by nature, it's that simple. 'Goths' or whoever just conform to stardards that they feel comfortable with. Not too hard to understand, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

This pretty much sums up my feelings for Goths: South-Park

Stan: Hey guys. Uh. You guys know how to dance, right?
    Tall Goth: [with cigarette] Of course we know how to dance.
    Stan: Cool, because, there's this competition on Saturday, and I have to find the very best dancers in South Park to be on my crew. My friends can't do it because they suck ass, so, will you be in my dance troupe?
    Red Goth: Dance troupe? Please. [leans to one side and whips his hair back into place] We don't dance like those Britney and Justin wannabes at school. [whips his hair back into place] Goth kids dance to express pain and suffering.
    Tall Goth: Yeah. [stands up] The only cool way to dance is to keep your hands at your sides and your eyes looking at the ground. Then every three seconds you take a drag from your cigarette. [leans his head to the right for two beats, leans it to the left for two beats, leans it to the right for two beats while taking a drag, leans it to the left for two beats, repeats. The red Goth follows suit, then all four Goths dance the same way]
    Stan: Okay, that'll work fine. Listen, there's a dance competition this Saturday and I need good dancers so I don't get served.
    Red Goth: [flips his hair back] No way. Dancing is something you do alone in your room at three in the morning.
    Stan: [walks up to the red Goth] Please, you guys, our whole town's reputation is at stake! Will any of you do it?
    Red Goth: I'm not doin' it. Being in a dance group is totally conformist.
    Henrietta: Yeah. I'm not conforming to some dance-off regulations.
    Little Goth: I'm not doin' it either. I'm the biggest nonconformist of all.
    Tall Goth: I'm such a nonconformist that I'm not going to conform with the rest of you. Okay, I'll do it. [rises and walks over to Stan]
    Stan: Great! [they leave together]
    Henrietta: Whoa. I think we just got put in our place.
    Red Goth: Yeah. We just got Goth-served.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

In PE class in school the majourity of girls, there is about seven of them (I dont) that wear converses and its looks a bit stupid with them all weraing the same shoes.
    Oh ye and as I think Fletch pointed it out, how is wearing heavy black clothes in the middle of Summer comfortable??? enlighten me because I still dont get how it is!

you better hope they don't discover this post. And as for black clothes (well trousers in my case), since they're so big and baggy, there's more room for your legs to breath, keeping them cool. But then again, i never notice much of a heat difference if i were different color shirts...

mp3guy wrote:
    you better hope they don't discover this post.

Too late. I discovered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What is the point of this thread? All it will do is generate flaming and will probably get locked, like Chizzle Dizzle's thread was.

The very essence of fashion, ne c'est pas?

Too late. I discovered it.

no, not you, you don't were converse canvasy shoes. I ment, the other 5 girls who wear converse

I wear Converse to PE actually. Sometimes Vans.

i never noticed...

Converse are probably the worst shoes to do PE in, in my opinion. (Just back from scouts in my trusty converse and damn they're not good for running)
    And I'm quite personally torn up inside about converse becoming trendy... That probably says something but meh, I liked my converse when they were obscure and funny looking.

As for this goth thing... I can see this thread disintegrating into a general "we hate goths because they are such comformists hypocrites blah blah blah" thing, and... didn't we already have a thread like this? Which got locked? So... maybe we could try and not freak out and concentrate on that point, and possibly discuss the style as if it were any other fashion trend, and not see it as an entire way of life, if that were possible?

Oh who am I kidding. People will give opinions even if they have been given before, and even if it's just going to turn into a flaming ball of flame.

*shuffles off, muttering like an aul woman*

(one good thing about converse becoming trendy, however, is after the big craze they'll become dirt cheap!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Converse are the most comfortable runners I've ever worn... But so damn impractical for the winter I've decided to try and break in my docs again.

I spent the last SkyFest in my converse. Couldn't feel my feet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

fletch wrote:
    Like how can it be comfortable wearing a full length black leather trench coat in the height of Summer!?
    I'd love to know this myself. I wear black most of the time, and wear the trenchcoat during the winter. Can't wear it during the summer, tho. Too hot, so I just wear the denim jacket.

=-=

As for the "not conforming" sh|te, whats the f*cking story with that? That sounds like some tripe by some mind-f*cker (shrink) to figure it out.

How about this; WE LIKE WEARING IT
    If anyone says otherwise, explain why scumbags dress up in tracksuits? Its not stylish, it looks cheap, and they hang about in large groups looking for fights.
    Also, skangers think its "cool" to have a criminal record. WTF???

=-=

I'm not a goth. I just like black. Always have, always will. I do like goths, tho. Not the little goths, tho. They're f*cking annoying.

Example; was at a Fear Factory gig. Lots of little people, pushing, etc. Saw one little guy fall down. Had to pick himself up.

Example2; was at an Entombed gig(18's gig). Violent as f*ck. Someone fell down in the mosh pit. Get picked back up in no time.

Moral; the older crowd are great, but some of the younger crowd have no respect for each other.

=-=

What are "Converse"? Some type of shoe's?
    I've worn army style boots, or steel caps, for the last 3 or 4 years. Great boots. They don't wear out too easily, easy to clean & maintain and they keep my feet dry.

=-=

Goth women are sexy :cool: :cool: :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

All I'm reading in this thread is "Its all about....they're all.....why do they all...."

Bit of a generalisation. But I guess most people would be shocked if they heard that some of these people actually like the way they dress. I personally don't dress like that, in any way.

How comfortable is a long black trench coat in the middle of summer?
    How comfortable is a short deniem skirt in the middle of winter.

Leave them to their devises. Why do you feel you need to comment on them, they didn't kill your dog or anything.

Heh, they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

How comfortable is a long black trench coat in the middle of summer?
    How comfortable is a short deniem skirt in the middle of winter.

BUT BUT BUT ....
    short skirt = sexy. This point can not and should not be overlooked ! :D:D

Sarky wrote:
    The very essence of fashion, ne c'est pas?

Hardly. This type of thread has already been discussed to death. Search 'Goths and Rockers. STRANGE!' by Chizzle Dizzle. It's about 8 pages long and it's locked. It just turned into people flaming her because of her opinion. Sure enough, you can air your opinions on the subject, but why again? There are also threads in After Hours. I just don't see the point. After about 2 or 3 pages it goes away from fashion and turns into a big stereotyping flame thread.

• Advertisement

IrishMike wrote:
    BUT BUT BUT ....
    short skirt = sexy. This point can not and should not be overlooked ! :D:D

But it's not a valid point because trench coat= sexy to some people.

Papa Smut wrote:

Why does the whole country need Goths?

Listen, Im not making a personal attack here. When I see a chav wearing a burberry cap and air max I think "scumbag", when I see someone wearing deck shoes and pringle jumper I think "D4 knobhead", and when I see someone wearing a trenchcoat, boots that you probably need to work out just to wear cos they are so heavy, white makeup and long black hair I think "Goth Loser"....

Converse are probably the worst shoes to do PE in, in my opinion.

Ye so what I'm trying to say is that these girls only wore these shoes to pe just to keep up the rocker image, could'nt they just do without them for like 2 hours?? obviously not cause their rocker image is soooo important to them. In my opinion they are just too hung up into their rocker fashion,cant be seen wearing normal runners, oh no it ruins their image,cant let their friends see them in non rocker shoes. See can you see where I'm comming from,they all have to be like one another.

Another thing is, these rocker clothes are so expensive so they seem to go to a lot of lengths just to buy some black t-shirt, but they cant by their clothes from like the ordinary shops like top shop or whatever, it has to be from asha or what ever your shops are called. cant let my frends know I shop in scag shops.

Keyzer wrote:
    Why does the whole country need Goths?

Listen, Im not making a personal attack here. When I see a chav wearing a burberry cap and air max I think "scumbag", when I see someone wearing deck shoes and pringle jumper I think "D4 knobhead", and when I see someone wearing a trenchcoat, boots that you probably need to work out just to wear cos they are so heavy, white makeup and long black hair I think "Goth Loser"....
    What do, erm, "normal" people wear.
    Or what does one have to wear in order to be branded with one of your preconceptions?

Keyzer wrote:
    When I see a chav wearing a burberry cap and air max I think "scumbag", when I see someone wearing deck shoes and pringle jumper I think "D4 knobhead", and when I see someone wearing a trenchcoat, boots that you probably need to work out just to wear cos they are so heavy, white makeup and long black hair I think "Goth Loser"....

Wow. Do you have any friends? What do you class as normal?

• Advertisement

Ye so what I'm trying to say is that these girls only wore these shoes to pe just to keep up the rocker image, could'nt they just do without them for like 2 hours?? obviously not cause their rocker image is soooo important to them. In my opinion they are just too hung up into their rocker fashion,cant be seen wearing normal runners, oh no it ruins their image,cant let their friends see them in non rocker shoes. See can you see where I'm comming from,they all have to be like one another.
    This really is totally irrelevant to this thread, but I'll answer anyway...
    Did you consider they like wearing the shoes, even for a moment, before assigning some kind of reason for what they do, deciding what their opinoins about things must be? Seriously, perhaps you should just not care so much about why people wear what they wear and just let them wear it.
    About the image thing - did you not think that some people don't wake up in the morning decide "okay, I'm going to do my rocker image today" and make every conscious effort to fulfill it for the rest of the day? Is it not possible that they actually like the clothes and that's why they wear them, that's why the do things, and maybe the don't have any other shoes... I realise some people are as you said, it's all abuot image for them, but that doesn't mean you should automatically assume everyone is like that.
    And what's wrong with people being like each other? So what if they all have the same shoes? I'll let you in a secret here: a lot of people wear the same brand if not the very same style of shoe. It's not the end of the world, it doesn't mean all these people are horrible human beings.
    Another thing is, these rocker clothes are so expensive so they seem to go to a lot of lengths just to buy some black t-shirt, but they cant by their clothes from like the ordinary shops like top shop or whatever, it has to be from asha or what ever your shops are called.
    This can be answered fairly simple: people will buy the clothes they want in the places that sell them.
    Top shop may not sell what they want. Therefore they will go to the place that does sell them, and if that's asha, so be it.
    It's not very complicated, really.

To get back on topic, I like the goth look. It's just a matter of personal choice, I'm more likely to have my eye attracted to someone wearing a leather trenchcoat than most other things, I just think it looks good, so if people are going to dress like that and give me things to ogle over, more power to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Very well said.

I personally like the goth look,i would prefer a girl who looked that way.I'm not saying that i wouldn't like a girl who wasn't into it.

I don't judge people by the way they dress,i just don't see why people can't just accept the way other people dress it gets very childish at times.

Another thing is, these rocker clothes are so expensive so they seem to go to a lot of lengths just to buy some black t-shirt, but they cant by their clothes from like the ordinary shops like top shop or whatever, it has to be from asha or what ever your shops are called. cant let my frends know I shop in scag shops.

This is ALL completely off-topic!
    Or are you actually dumb enough to think that 'Goth' is the same thing as 'rocker'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The majority of people who dress up as a goth or whatever have problems conforming with society. Instead they feel the need to be an outcast. The majority of them generally have massive problems communicating with people in general and so isolate themselves even further away from society...kind of like a hermit.

cheesedude wrote:
    The majority of people who dress up as a goth or whatever have problems conforming with society. Instead they feel the need to be an outcast. The majority of them generally have massive problems communicating with people in general and so isolate themselves even further away from society...kind of like a hermit.
    Your a clever one.

cheesedude wrote:

And how do you know this,did you make up a survey or something ?.

Why does nobody take into consideration that it is *FACT* that humans are naturally conformist, and people will conform to standards they feel comfortable with. Is it really that hard to grasp?

Yeah I understand that Karl,but i just find it funny that some people can think that everyone who is a "goth" is depressed and have problems.

Well, stupidity isn't a virus, but it sure spreads llike one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Pyr0 wrote:
    And how do you know this,did you make up a survey or something ?.

Nope. It is a generalization. I have met a handful and have come to the conclusion they are either simple, have problems communicating or both...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement