Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould in house plants

Options
  • 19-11-2004 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭

First off, I'm really not too knowledgeable about keeping plants. Actually I am fairly clueless (to the extent that I don't even know what plants I have). However I have managed to keep them alive for the last two years.
    Recently I have noticed something strange on one of the potted plants. On top of the soil there seems to be a layer of white mould. And it seems to be increasing.
    Should I pay any attention to it, or is it just harmless?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

This can happen if you are watering your plants from the top all the time, the top section of soil gets saturated then dries out repeatidly causing a kind of souring of the soil - I'm sure others here could tell you more.

This happened to some of our house plants - the ones that the water tray was too small to easily water, so we'd just dump it in ontop.
    I just pulled out the top inch or so of soil and replaced with fresh - alternatily and probably better would be to repot the plants with frsh soil.

HTH.

M.

Advertisement